Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shape of Old 1970s Toilet Cistern

Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:43:40 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

Eeeeewww !!! You did say you were refurbing the toilet didn't you .?
:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern. I am re-furbing a
downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern has a
kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

Our 1970 Twyford's has the same cutout in the back
wall, but more or less in the centre. Don't know
what it's there for though.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Manufacturing feature? Something that helps during the kiln firing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart B" wrote

Eeeeewww !!! You did say you were refurbing the toilet didn't you .?
:-)

Don't worry Stuart, since that pic was taken, the cistern has been
demounted, bleached out and all the old internals stripped.
The syphon was a solid and serious piece of kit. Far more rhobust than the
modern offerings.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:00:43 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern. I am re-furbing a
downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern has a
kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

Our 1970 Twyford's has the same cutout in the back
wall, but more or less in the centre. Don't know
what it's there for though.

And my old Armitage Shanks ??

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

It's so the overflow can be taken straight out the back if desired
(althgough no-one ever bothers!)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

It's so the overflow can be taken straight out the back if desired
(althgough no-one ever bothers!)

I withdraw that remark as it's stupid! Too late in the afternoon. One feels
it's for a pipe of some sort though.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:48:52 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:00:43 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern. I am re-furbing a
downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern has a
kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

Our 1970 Twyford's has the same cutout in the back
wall, but more or less in the centre. Don't know
what it's there for though.

And my old Armitage Shanks ??

The same on my fairly recent Armitage Shanks.. :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing
cistern has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand
side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

It's so the overflow can be taken straight out the back if desired
(althgough no-one ever bothers!)

I withdraw that remark as it's stupid! Too late in the afternoon. One
feels it's for a pipe of some sort though.

--

I think it is the 'last chance' overflow. My Alia has a similar feature.
Presumably if the overflow (Warning Pipe) is blocked it will cause the water
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing
cistern has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand
side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

It's so the overflow can be taken straight out the back if desired
(althgough no-one ever bothers!)

I withdraw that remark as it's stupid! Too late in the afternoon. One
feels it's for a pipe of some sort though.

I would agree until I popped the lid off my cistern to have a look. Mine has
the curved cut out along the central 2/3rds of the lid, too big to be for a
pipe.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

Probably curved inwards to allow for crap plastering/tiling behind it
causing a high spot, which when mounting screws are tightened would cause
said cistern to break its back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:
I think it is the 'last chance' overflow. My Alia has a similar feature.
Presumably if the overflow (Warning Pipe) is blocked it will cause the water
to overspill down the back on the off chance this might be preferable to
spilling all around the lid.

and even more importantly, prevents the lid floating on a
full-to-the-brim cistern and possibly slipping off.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:43:40 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

I have assumed that these recesses were to allow air to enter the cistern
during flushing. On some models the lid fits pretty well and without this
opening the flush could be seriously reduced by the partial vacuum during
flushing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:08:07 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:43:40 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

I have assumed that these recesses were to allow air to enter the cistern
during flushing. On some models the lid fits pretty well and without this
opening the flush could be seriously reduced by the partial vacuum during
flushing.

I don't think plastic cisterns have such a cutout; have they?
Some plastic ones have a lid which is attached by screws and must be
even more airtight.

--
Frank Erskine
"Automatic door - push button to operate"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:43:40 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

I have assumed that these recesses were to allow air to enter the cistern
during flushing. On some models the lid fits pretty well and without this
opening the flush could be seriously reduced by the partial vacuum during
flushing.

I have no idea what the cutout is for but wouldn't the air enter through
the overflow pipe when flushing and exhaust again when filling as it does
on plastic cisterns with screw down lids?

Tony

Gas Fitting Standards Docs he
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:

I have assumed that these recesses were to allow air to enter
the cistern during flushing. On some models the lid fits pretty
well and without this opening the flush could be seriously
reduced by the partial vacuum during flushing.

That sounds like a very good reason.

I can't see the back, but looking up from the
bottom of the cistern there also seems to be
some sort of a shallow channel up to the cutout.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

Just puzzled by the shape of my 1970s cistern.
I am re-furbing a downstairs toilet and noticed that the existing cistern
has a kind of curved cut-out in the back at the top left hand side.
This can be clearly seen in the picture below:

http://home.freeuk.com/thesculls/Cistern-Plan.JPG

There is no corresponding protrusion in the lid to cover this.

Anyone got any idea what the purpose of this profile might be?

TIA

Phil

My Villeroy & Bosch cistern has this and it's used for bringing a hidden
pipe (buried in the wall) into the cistern. There's a stop valve
attached to the in-wall pipe with the filling mechanism hanging on it.
--
Regards
Phil Morris

Toilet cistern Staffbull UK diy 5 January 16th 07 12:57 PM
The cistern and toilet The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 12 January 22nd 06 06:49 PM
Toilet Cistern John UK diy 4 December 3rd 04 11:02 PM
toilet Cistern leak Douglas Sey UK diy 4 October 13th 03 11:17 PM
toilet cistern overflow Douglas Sey UK diy 5 October 10th 03 03:44 PM