Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic Pipe Reinforcing Sleeves

Hi all

Are the reinforcing sleeves for the inside of plasic pipe ends
interchangable?
I fitted some Hep2O at the weekend using some metal sleeves which seemed a
little slack in the pipe bore.
I have a bit more to do, but have plastic sleeves left.

The Hep2O already fitted isn't leaking and I have a bit more confidence in
the metal sleeves, but should I be using either plastic or metal for
specific applications or with certain manufacturer's pipe?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-23 08:27:52 +0100, "TheScullster" said:

Hi all

Are the reinforcing sleeves for the inside of plasic pipe ends
interchangable?
I fitted some Hep2O at the weekend using some metal sleeves which seemed a
little slack in the pipe bore.
I have a bit more to do, but have plastic sleeves left.

The Hep2O already fitted isn't leaking and I have a bit more confidence in
the metal sleeves, but should I be using either plastic or metal for
specific applications or with certain manufacturer's pipe?

TIA

Phil

I think that this would be unwise.

The pipe is standard. Components of fittings cannot be relied upon to
be interchangeable.

I don't need to remind you of IMM's hacksaw incident...........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote

I don't need to remind you of IMM's hacksaw incident...........

This must have passed me by - do tell.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-24 08:22:36 +0100, "TheScullster" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote

I don't need to remind you of IMM's hacksaw incident...........

This must have passed me by - do tell.

Phil

Legendary.

The short version is that he attempted to do some plastic plumbing work
for a friend and used a hacksaw to cut the tube. The instructions from
all manufacturers say not to use a hacksaw but a pipe slicer in order
to get a clean and square edge. These tools are remarkably
inexpensive but our friend new better.

The inevitable happened - the O-ring was pushed out of place and on
turning the water back on of course it ****ed everywhere, probably
leading to much embarassment since he will have undoubtedly represented
himself as a "professional".

Rather than keeping it quiet, he then proceeded to tell the group about
it, claiming that it was bad design and manufacturing by John Guest,
the manufacturers of Speedfit.

Despite the folly of this enterprise, he then quoted some remarks from
one manufacturer's technical department to the effect that the
inventive will find alternative ways to the proper tool for cutting the
tube. They were being diplomatic of course, and certainly not
recommending bodging with hacksaws, but IMM took this as being
endorsement.

John Rumm published a photo on his web site, but I can't find it now.....

It seems that people in this NG, both part time and professional (as in
properly professional) who have used plastic plumbing properly
(alliteration excepted) have not had these kind of problems. Along
a similar track, only one person seems to have had success with
magnetic water conditioners.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote

Legendary.

The short version is .....

snip

In the course of your explanation, you have inadvertently clarified one of
those nagging questions.
Why is it so important to have a square cut on plastic pipe?
So that as the pipe is inserted, it contacts the O ring on the full
circumference and is therefore less likely to displace said O ring.

I bought some purpose made pipe cutters for plastic some time ago.
Just like big secateurs (sp?) really.
They can tend to oval the pipe a bit but there is nack to rotating the pipe
as you cut which all but eliminates this.
Presumably you are advocating the use of a pipe slice, as used for copper.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-24 14:47:50 +0100, "TheScullster" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote

Legendary.

The short version is .....

snip

In the course of your explanation, you have inadvertently clarified one of
those nagging questions.
Why is it so important to have a square cut on plastic pipe?
So that as the pipe is inserted, it contacts the O ring on the full
circumference and is therefore less likely to displace said O ring.

I suspect that that is one reason, and another that the connection is
evenly home into the fitting. Normally the O rings have a little
silicone grease on them as well.

I bought some purpose made pipe cutters for plastic some time ago.
Just like big secateurs (sp?) really.
They can tend to oval the pipe a bit but there is nack to rotating the pipe
as you cut which all but eliminates this.

Yes that is one way. Another is to take out the blade and sharpen it.
Generally they are quite blunt.

I bought a slightly chunkier version which has a ratchet and is sharp
as well. This is for when I am installing nylon airline which is
slightly tougher than water pipe but it cuts the latter in quite large
sizes as well.

Presumably you are advocating the use of a pipe slice, as used for copper.

No definitely not. Far too blunt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:47:50 +0100, "TheScullster"
mused:

I bought some purpose made pipe cutters for plastic some time ago.
Just like big secateurs (sp?) really.
They can tend to oval the pipe a bit but there is nack to rotating the pipe
as you cut which all but eliminates this.

Some of those ratchet secateur doobries have a flat blade wich tends
to oval the pipe. I've seen some which have a pointed blade which
tends to give a squarer, cleanar cut (think my Hilmor ones have this).
Once they start to go blunt though, they're useless and flatten the
pipe\cut it off square.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-24 08:22:36 +0100, "TheScullster" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote

[...]

Whatever happened to IMM ? A google profile shows he stopped posting
very soon after the speedfit incident ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-24 16:35:51 +0100, Jethro said:

Whatever happened to IMM ? A google profile shows he stopped posting
very soon after the speedfit incident ;-)

It was rather later. He morphed into Dr Drivel after that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Jethro writes
On 2007-04-24 08:22:36 +0100, "TheScullster" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote

[...]

He changed his name to Dr drivel

he seems to have gone AWOL in the past couple of months - we live in
hope

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/imm.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Plastic pipe Maccy D UK diy 9 January 23rd 07 06:47 PM
Detector for wood, metal, pipe, reinforcing bar and cable in wallboard davy UK diy 4 January 12th 07 12:51 PM
Which plastic pipe? [email protected] UK diy 3 May 1st 06 12:58 AM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM