Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ramp for me ma

Greetings all from a new cricket nation, Ireland

Anyway, your challenge.

My Ma has been discharged from hosptial having suffered a TIA,
sometimes called a mini or warning stroke.

The OT (Occupational Therapist) has decided I am " a handy little man"
and has given me specs for a ramp for the front door so I can build it
my self.

The main criteria include a slope of 1:20, so if I build it straight
out, the end of the ramp will be in the nighbours garden across the
road!

No materials are specified. I have never worked with cement, concrete
etc so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Francis," a handy little man"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:53:25 +0100, Stuart B
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:34:37 +0100, wrote:

Greetings all from a new cricket nation, Ireland

Anyway, your challenge.

My Ma has been discharged from hosptial having suffered a TIA,
sometimes called a mini or warning stroke.

The OT (Occupational Therapist) has decided I am " a handy little man"
and has given me specs for a ramp for the front door so I can build it
my self.

The main criteria include a slope of 1:20, so if I build it straight
out, the end of the ramp will be in the nighbours garden across the
road!

No materials are specified. I have never worked with cement, concrete
etc so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Francis," a handy little man"

So at 1-20 how long will it be when it touches base ?....I guess what
you say is a slight exaggeration ..lol
Anyway . I'd imagine that you'll need some sort of wooden shuttering
which slopes as you want the finished ramp and fill it with
concrete..you'll need a railing as well won't you ? (?)

You might find something here that helps
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

But why not get in touch with your Social Services ( Social Work Dept
in Scotland ) and explaing your predicament and that you would like
them to provide a ramp ..

Slight exaggeration.. it actually ends in the middle of the road!

Er, no, not quite.

A drop of about one foot, so ramp would be 20 feet long or as the OT
is Australian that's about 6 metres.

I'm in Ireland and we are quite primative when it comes to social
services.

Don't get me going on physios and OTs, hospital based, community
based...

Yes, it has to have a handrail and a kerb.

I'm thinking of a mini deck thingy at the door- ten foot ramp- nudder
mini deck thingy- nudder ten foot ramp at right angles to first

i'll look at that url

francis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:38:20 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

Greetings all from a new cricket nation, Ireland

Anyway, your challenge.

When I read the header I thought you wanted a ramp for an
ambulance.................

Good one. It might come to that yet!

We had to bring my Ma to A&E yesterday, she was choking on her tea.
When we got to hosiptal, she was able to drink normally. After about 6
hours of tests, it suddenly clicked with us. She had her teeth in
because she was going to see the doctor! So, teeth in, drinks
normally; teeth out at home, chokes on tea. Wah!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:05:23 +0100, John Rumm

I'm thinking of a mini deck thingy at the door- ten foot ramp- nudder
mini deck thingy- nudder ten foot ramp at right angles to first

Does this need to be a temporary or a permanent structure? A temporary
one could be built as you describe using a studwork frame with ply
decking (with non slip material stuck over). For a permanent solution it
sounds like building retaining walls out of brick or blockwork, filling
mostly with hardcore (or type 1 MOT), tamping down and finishing off
with a few inches of ribbed concrete would do it.

Depends on how long she hangs around. By the time she goes, I'll
probably need the ramp myself
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Greetings all from a new cricket nation, Ireland

Anyway, your challenge.

My Ma has been discharged from hosptial having suffered a TIA,
sometimes called a mini or warning stroke.

The OT (Occupational Therapist) has decided I am " a handy little man"
and has given me specs for a ramp for the front door so I can build it
my self.

The main criteria include a slope of 1:20, so if I build it straight
out, the end of the ramp will be in the nighbours garden across the
road!

No materials are specified. I have never worked with cement, concrete
etc so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to use a couple of four foot lengths of 4" wide x 2" deep x 1/4"
thick aluminium U channel. That allowed me to push my 20 stone father in or
out of most doorways and they were readily stowed in the back of the car,
along with the wheelchair. A 1 in 20 ramp is only really needed if a
wheelchair is to be worked by the occupant alone.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in
:

wrote in message
[...]

For what it is worth from someone who was in a wheelchair for many
years:-

Young people in a wheelchairs build up upper-body strength very quickly
through pushing themselves around. Therefore younger fitter people can
usually cope well with a short steep ramp - in fact I preferred a short
steep ramp rather than loooooooooong climb.

Older people and those with an upper body disability never build up
sufficient strength to manage anything other than a very gentle slope.

Pushers (as opposed to wheelchair occupants) come in all shapes and sizes
as can be imagined. Longer and gentler slopes are considered best for
general use. It's no fun being pushed up a steep slope and then to hear
your pusher declare that they are out of strength and stuck!

When building a slope for an Electric wheelchair, enquire whether it will
be an indoor or outdoor type - some indoor types are far from powerful
and will struggle on a steep slope.

Just my thoughts :-)

Terry W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

wrote:

[...]

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...nstruction&btn
G=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryG B

But why not get in touch with your Social Services ( Social Work Dept
in Scotland ) and explaing your predicament and that you would like
them to provide a ramp ..

Slight exaggeration.. it actually ends in the middle of the road!

Er, no, not quite.

A drop of about one foot, so ramp would be 20 feet long or as the OT
is Australian that's about 6 metres.

I'm in Ireland and we are quite primative when it comes to social
services.

Block and tackle ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:51:29 GMT, "Terry W."
wrote:

Replying to Colin and Terry,

At the moment, we only use the wheellchair for visits to the hospital
where there will be a lot of walking involved. It is a push chair.

At the moment the chair would not be used on the ramp.

For short distances my Ma is able to walk with the aid of a
tri-rollator. she would use the ramp with the tri-rollator to get to
the gate for the minibus which takes her to the day centre. the
minibus has a lift to get in and out.

The OT has gone back to Australia so I'm waiting for her replacement
to check things.

For a trirollator, what would a suitable slope be?

Francis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in news:0lm723lrqdp59t7gn0v2akurpmcipo4udd@
4ax.com:

wrote:

Replying to Colin and Terry,

At the moment, we only use the wheellchair for visits to the hospital
where there will be a lot of walking involved. It is a push chair.

At the moment the chair would not be used on the ramp.

For short distances my Ma is able to walk with the aid of a
tri-rollator. she would use the ramp with the tri-rollator to get to
the gate for the minibus which takes her to the day centre. the
minibus has a lift to get in and out.

The OT has gone back to Australia so I'm waiting for her replacement
to check things.

For a trirollator, what would a suitable slope be?

Francis

Your Ma's biggest problem on any slope with a rolling walking aid is
going downhill, when the walking aid is likely to "run away".
She really will require a gentle slope, using turns if you don't have
enough space for a long ramp.
Turns (with a flat area) are very useful to regain your balance and have
a rest.

If she can manage with a wheeled walking aid, you might consider shallow
steps that will take her and the aid. If she can lift the aid over the
doorstep and use it for balance while she steps over the doorstep, then
down another shallow step etc. I don't, of course, know her walking
ability, but large area shallow steps are sometimes easier with a walking
aid than a slope.

Good luck, and I wish your Ma well.

Terry W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

She's pretty nifty on the tri-rollator.

I've come across a Low Rise Lift and will check that out
http://www.barronlifts.ie/wheelchair...rise_lifts.htm

We have a new front door with a very low saddle 1/2" if even that.
I'll check the steps idea.
Thanks

Francis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry W." wrote in message
.. .
Your Ma's biggest problem on any slope with a rolling walking aid is
going downhill, when the walking aid is likely to "run away"...

My mother had that problem on level ground. In the end, I fitted the whole
house out with handrails along all passageways and along at least one wall
of every main room. I used industrial tubular handrail as it came in 6 metre
lengths and was relatively cheap.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Greetings all from a new cricket nation, Ireland

Anyway, your challenge.

My Ma has been discharged from hosptial having suffered a TIA,
sometimes called a mini or warning stroke.

The OT (Occupational Therapist) has decided I am " a handy little man"
and has given me specs for a ramp for the front door so I can build it
my self.

The main criteria include a slope of 1:20, so if I build it straight
out, the end of the ramp will be in the nighbours garden across the
road!

No materials are specified. I have never worked with cement, concrete
etc so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Francis," a handy little man"

Working in social services, I would advise you to get your mum a "Community
Care Assessment".
She would more than likely be entitled to have a ramp installed free of
charge. The only problem being the time it takes to have it done.
However you might just get the funding for it which means you could do it
yourself and wouldn't be out of pocket.

RS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:11:11 GMT, raden wrote:

In message ,
writes
wrote:

[...]

Her daughter in law thinks that is a great idea and wants the plans
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:19:29 +0100, "RoundSquare" thanksbut@nothanks
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

we're in ireland, so it's not as simple as that.

RAMP J T Woodworking 0 August 17th 06 08:42 AM
need traction on a deck ramp [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 8th 06 03:51 AM
Beginner needs a ramp bakechad Woodworking 4 April 29th 06 02:42 AM
ramp to garage david thorpe UK diy 6 August 17th 05 08:29 PM
wheelchair ramp Kathy Home Repair 11 October 26th 04 06:24 AM