Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default ramp for me ma

wrote in message
Greetings all from a new cricket nation, Ireland

Anyway, your challenge.

My Ma has been discharged from hosptial having suffered a TIA,
sometimes called a mini or warning stroke.

The OT (Occupational Therapist) has decided I am " a handy little man"
and has given me specs for a ramp for the front door so I can build it
my self.

The main criteria include a slope of 1:20, so if I build it straight
out, the end of the ramp will be in the nighbours garden across the
road!

No materials are specified. I have never worked with cement, concrete
etc so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to use a couple of four foot lengths of 4" wide x 2" deep x 1/4"
thick aluminium U channel. That allowed me to push my 20 stone father in or
out of most doorways and they were readily stowed in the back of the car,
along with the wheelchair. A 1 in 20 ramp is only really needed if a
wheelchair is to be worked by the occupant alone.

Colin Bignell