Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Jon is offline

Default OT ish: Best method of doing a BBQ

My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes over
that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to soak
in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

The theory behind it is that the lumpwood is easy to light but doesn't
burn for very long, so the lumpwood effectively "lights" the briquettes,
which burn for about 2 hours.

What does everyone else do?
--
Regards
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What does everyone else do?

Simply blast it with the heat gun until it bursts into a raging
inferno.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes over
that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to soak
in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

The theory behind it is that the lumpwood is easy to light but doesn't
burn for very long, so the lumpwood effectively "lights" the briquettes,
which burn for about 2 hours.

What does everyone else do?
--
Regards
Jon

Saw a neighbour use the petrol method on a hot day eyebrows and hair grew
back in a few weeks and there was no permanent skin damage, don't you just
love the vapour!!

Pile up a mixture of lumpwood and briquettes in the centre of the bbq
generous dollup of lighting gel open vent apply match sit and drink beer,
after about 15mins spread out to cover base.

However if I get bored I use a propane torch

Saw a clever/simple idea where lumpwood is piled up on top of some newspaper
and sticks. A 'chimney' about 6" dia and 6" high is perched on top, paper is
lit, worked a treat. This was used in a steel tray bbq with no vents in base

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:24:38 +0100, Jon
wrote:

My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes over
that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to soak
in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

All volatile inflammable solvents are too dangerous.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/Fun...tions/foon.htm

The theory behind it is that the lumpwood is easy to light but doesn't
burn for very long, so the lumpwood effectively "lights" the briquettes,
which burn for about 2 hours.

What does everyone else do?

Those self lighting bags of charcoal are clean, safe and reliable, if
a bit expensive. I used two lit at the same time yesterday. They gave
about 45 minutes of barbequeing time.

Maybe one of those and a secondary charge of brickettes would be a
good plan.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 2:36 pm, Jon wrote:
declared for all the world to hear...

What does everyone else do?

Simply blast it with the heat gun until it bursts into a raging
inferno.

I don't own a heat gun, or blowtorch etc, although I have seen it done
that way.
--
Regards
Jon

The problem I find with the easy light bags is that they tend to smoke
when the flames go out. If I ever build my "superBBQ" then I'll make
an air pump/bellows for it to save me wafting bits of card etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

All have ignored the most important item - 1 bottle wine.

Firelighters under lumpwood
Light
Retire and drink bottle of wine (STEP AWAY FROM THE BBQ, LEAVE IT ALONE,
DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT)
Return to cook.
(If second bottle of wine in order, throw some more lumpwood on)

Small BBQ's, or when camping etc, the selflight bags are very good, still
rquiring the bottle of wine though (to get you past the smoking stage).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon wrote

My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes over
that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to soak
in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

snip
What does everyone else do?

Well, as this is d-i-y, the best version would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLr_XrooLs

or, if you can't get hold of the liquid stuff, try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Ey4eWN6Bg

or if you can't get hold of either, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9uyOfMs9I

-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon wrote:

What does everyone else do?

George Foreman Outdoors version with stand.

It's the only way we have managed to cook anything without it frazzled
to a charcoal.

:¬)

http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - Bulk Order Supps. at Trade Prices
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1. Turn on gas
2. Press piezo igniter button
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Cook

I'm a convert!

Fash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Jon wrote:

What does everyone else do?

George Foreman Outdoors version with stand.

It's the only way we have managed to cook anything without it frazzled
to a charcoal.

:¬)

A few years back I saw a French gadget that seemed to get the fire going
really quickly. A 6" diameter cylindrical thing with holes that seemed
to have a life of its own. Once it's going you just empty the coals into
your BBQ. No idea what it was called but it was bought en France and was
mighty impressive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fash wrote:
1. Turn on gas
2. Press piezo igniter button
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Cook

I'm a convert!

Me too! Charcoal is sooo dated.................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Jon is offline

declared for all the world to hear...
1. Turn on gas
2. Press piezo igniter button
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Cook

I'm a convert!

Your cheating ways disgust me!
--
Regards
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

Saw a clever/simple idea where lumpwood is piled up on top of some
newspaper and sticks. A 'chimney' about 6" dia and 6" high is perched on
top, paper is lit, worked a treat. This was used in a steel tray bbq with
no vents in base

Tony

Nice. A good use for newpaper too.

I filter beeswax for various purposes and I save all the filter papers for
firelighting. They works brilliantly under wood, charcoal, even coke! What's
even better, they have a delightful fragrance. Better than anything else,
they're free and such use saves landfill.

Firelighters STINK, I don't want my food to taste of burnt paraffin. I can't
understand why people continue to use them. They even refuse my
'firelighters' which are offered at no cost, they prefer to pay for a nasty
smell.

If I didn't have that source I'd use paper and kindling. And one match. I'm
not paying for something which doesn't need to cost anything.

By the way, Spouse made a small pair of bellows which I can use with one
hand on any fire, that works brilliantly too.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote

A few years back I saw a French gadget that seemed to get the fire going
really quickly. A 6" diameter cylindrical thing with holes that seemed
to have a life of its own. Once it's going you just empty the coals into
your BBQ. No idea what it was called but it was bought en France and was
mighty impressive

Weber do them. £16 or less.

http://www.weber-bbq.co.uk/acatalog/...y_Starter.html

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fash wrote

1. Turn on gas
2. Press piezo igniter button
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Cook

I'm a convert!

I thought of becoming a convert, but was put off by the price.
However...

.... when down my local re-cycling centre one day, I spotted a 3-burner
Sunshine one for sale. A £10 note pressed into the hand of a high-viz
jacketed chap and it was mine. All I had to do was to get it in the
car. Hmmm.

Very heavy. Very messy.

Got it home, cleaned it up, bought a cylinder of gas, connected them
together and... what was it you said? Oh yes!

1. Turn on gas
2. Press piezo igniter button
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Cook

I'm a convert!

-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian L Johnson wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote

A few years back I saw a French gadget that seemed to get the fire going
really quickly. A 6" diameter cylindrical thing with holes that seemed
to have a life of its own. Once it's going you just empty the coals into
your BBQ. No idea what it was called but it was bought en France and was
mighty impressive

Weber do them. £16 or less.

http://www.weber-bbq.co.uk/acatalog/...y_Starter.html

Thanks. I'll take one along to the next barbecue I get invited to.
Normally the coals are not glowing nicely until people have finished
eating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jon
writes
My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes over
that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to soak
in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

The theory behind it is that the lumpwood is easy to light but doesn't
burn for very long, so the lumpwood effectively "lights" the briquettes,
which burn for about 2 hours.

What does everyone else do?

Turn the gas knob and push the piezo button

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jon
writes
declared for all the world to hear...
In message , Jon
writes
My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes over
that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to soak
in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

The theory behind it is that the lumpwood is easy to light but doesn't
burn for very long, so the lumpwood effectively "lights" the briquettes,
which burn for about 2 hours.

What does everyone else do?

Turn the gas knob and push the piezo button

Bah! Cheater!

Well, actually I do Schwenkbraten nowadays like ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hwenker1.jpg/2
50px-Schwenker1.jpg

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon wrote:
My preferred method is a sprinkling of firelighters in the base of the
tray, a covering of lumpwood charcoal, and then charcoal briquettes
over that. Pour half a cup of petrol over it all, leave for 2 mins to
soak in, wash hands (to remove any petrol) and then chuck a match on.

The theory behind it is that the lumpwood is easy to light but doesn't
burn for very long, so the lumpwood effectively "lights" the
briquettes, which burn for about 2 hours.

What does everyone else do?

couple of sheets of newspaper, few small sticks very thin, made itno a small
fire with lumpwood charcoal on top, no accelerants of any kind, unless you
like the taste of wax / oil / residues etc.
Leave for 5 mins until a few pieces of charcoal are caught, then fan with a
piece of carboard so that it becomes like a blast furnace, then add
remainder of charcoal and wait until it's ready...from start to cooking
takes around 30 mins.

Another BBQ essential which appears never to have caught on in this country,
presumably because;
A) we are all lousy cooks, or B) we are all still new to barbecuing, is the
use of a water spray gun, this is used to fine mist the coals so as to cool
them down and therby increase the cooking time and avoid the black
exterior/bloody interior of most British BBQ food, as a society we seem to
have this bizzare notion that something is done, 'when it looks done' - it
isn't - a burger 'looks' done after about 20 seconds on each side, this is
always because the heat is too high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Jon wrote:
[...]

Spray gun ?????

Can of lager perleeze

(you see it is useful for something)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote

Another BBQ essential which appears never to have caught on in this country,
presumably because;
A) we are all lousy cooks, or B) we are all still new to barbecuing, is the
use of a water spray gun, this is used to fine mist the coals so as to cool
them down and therby increase the cooking time

Beer -- shaken, not stirred -- does the same thing and adds a certain
piquancy to the food.

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:53:01 +0100, Brian L Johnson
wrote:

Phil L wrote

Another BBQ essential which appears never to have caught on in this country,
presumably because;
A) we are all lousy cooks, or B) we are all still new to barbecuing, is the
use of a water spray gun, this is used to fine mist the coals so as to cool
them down and therby increase the cooking time

Beer -- shaken, not stirred -- does the same thing and adds a certain
piquancy to the food.

What an unhealthy, and environmentally-unfriendly existence.

|-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Jon is offline

Jon wrote:
[...]

Speak for yourself sir - I use a spray gun regularly. Gotta keep it down
a bit!
--
Regards
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"TMC" wrote in message

Saw a clever/simple idea where lumpwood is piled up on top of some
newspaper and sticks. A 'chimney' about 6" dia and 6" high is perched on
top, paper is lit, worked a treat. This was used in a steel tray bbq with
no vents in base

Tony

Nice. A good use for newpaper too.

I filter beeswax for various purposes and I save all the filter papers for
firelighting. They works brilliantly under wood, charcoal, even coke!
What's even better, they have a delightful fragrance. Better than anything
else, they're free and such use saves landfill.

Firelighters STINK, I don't want my food to taste of burnt paraffin. I
can't understand why people continue to use them. They even refuse my
'firelighters' which are offered at no cost, they prefer to pay for a
nasty smell.

I like the sound of the beeswax. OTOH it must be said that, although
firelighters do stink, they disappear and there is no taste of paraffin if
you wait for them to burn out. If there are still any flames/smoke, don't go
near it with any food is the golden rule - wait for them to go and then
some. Chill, have another glass of wine! The same goes for the self lighting
bags (where the charcoal is impregnated with paraffin). Mind you sometimes
you are not in control - I did attend a BBQ where they started cooking
before the flames died down - eeeeuurrgh!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:53:01 +0100, Brian L Johnson
wrote:

Phil L wrote

Another BBQ essential which appears never to have caught on in this country,
presumably because;
A) we are all lousy cooks, or B) we are all still new to barbecuing, is the
use of a water spray gun, this is used to fine mist the coals so as to cool
them down and therby increase the cooking time

Beer -- shaken, not stirred -- does the same thing and adds a certain
piquancy to the food.

What an unhealthy, and environmentally-unfriendly existence.

|-)

Not so! We all know that beer-calories evaporate when they get hot, and
the CO2 which is sprayed into the air by the de-gassing beer doesn't go
instead into the chef's body where it might produce much more ozone-
damaging methane.

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I like the sound of the beeswax. OTOH it must be said that, although
firelighters do stink, they disappear and there is no taste of paraffin if
you wait for them to burn out.

N o, but while it's burning you get the smell and it's pervasive.

If there are still any flames/smoke, don't go near it with any food is the
golden rule - wait for them to go and then some.

Good Heavens! I didn't know that ... all these years of cooking over various
fires ...

Chill, have another glass of wine!

by the time the flames have gone I'm on my second bottle.

The same goes for the self lighting bags (where the charcoal is
impregnated with paraffin). Mind you sometimes you are not in control - I
did attend a BBQ where they started cooking before the flames died down -
eeeeuurrgh!

I trust you changed their ways.

Mary

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .

Another BBQ essential which appears never to have caught on in this
country, presumably because;
A) we are all lousy cooks,

Speak for yourself.

or B) we are all still new to barbecuing, is the use of a water spray gun,
this is used to fine mist the coals so as to cool them down and therby
increase the cooking time and avoid the black exterior/bloody interior of
most British BBQ food, as a society we seem to have this bizzare notion
that something is done, 'when it looks done' - it isn't - a burger 'looks'
done after about 20 seconds on each side, this is always because the heat
is too high.

Here endeth the lesson.

You're wrong in your assumption of totality, we've been using a mister all
our lives. Learned about it in cubs/brownies, when it was a modified brass
spray gun.

You're obvious too young.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I like the sound of the beeswax. OTOH it must be said that, although
firelighters do stink, they disappear and there is no taste of paraffin
if you wait for them to burn out.

N o, but while it's burning you get the smell and it's pervasive.

If there are still any flames/smoke, don't go near it with any food is
the golden rule - wait for them to go and then some.

Good Heavens! I didn't know that ... all these years of cooking over
various fires ...

g back - you may know that but wet-behind-the-ears'es don't always and
they read our posts too (well I think they do, one never knows!) - that's
kind of the ng point!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I like the sound of the beeswax. OTOH it must be said that, although
firelighters do stink, they disappear and there is no taste of paraffin
if you wait for them to burn out.

N o, but while it's burning you get the smell and it's pervasive.

If there are still any flames/smoke, don't go near it with any food is
the golden rule - wait for them to go and then some.

Good Heavens! I didn't know that ... all these years of cooking over
various fires ...

g back - you may know that but wet-behind-the-ears'es don't always and
they read our posts too (well I think they do, one never knows!) - that's
kind of the ng point!

OK, you were right and I was wrong as you so often are ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

I like the sound of the beeswax. OTOH it must be said that, although
firelighters do stink, they disappear and there is no taste of paraffin
if you wait for them to burn out.

N o, but while it's burning you get the smell and it's pervasive.

If there are still any flames/smoke, don't go near it with any food is
the golden rule - wait for them to go and then some.

Good Heavens! I didn't know that ... all these years of cooking over
various fires ...

g back - you may know that but wet-behind-the-ears'es don't always and
they read our posts too (well I think they do, one never knows!) - that's
kind of the ng point!

OK, you were right and I was wrong as you so often are ...

Crikey ) . Mind you we'd probably be better off actually BBQ'ing with
whatever's to hand than talking about it! Still like the sound of the
beeswaxy paper though - do they smell of honey?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Brian L Johnson wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote

A few years back I saw a French gadget that seemed to get the fire
going really quickly. A 6" diameter cylindrical thing with holes that
seemed to have a life of its own. Once it's going you just empty the
coals into your BBQ. No idea what it was called but it was bought en
France and was mighty impressive

Weber do them. £16 or less.

http://www.weber-bbq.co.uk/acatalog/...y_Starter.html

Thanks. I'll take one along to the next barbecue I get invited to.
Normally the coals are not glowing nicely until people have finished
eating.

Weber also do charcoal BBQs with gas starters :

0. Load charcoal into BBQ
1. Turn on gas
2. Press piezo igniter button
3. Wait 5 minutes
3a Turn off gass
3b Wait 15 minutes
4. Cook
5 Eat

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jon
writes
[...]

Impressive!

The important thing is that you can play with it ... which is really
what BBQs are about

you can spin it, swing it, lift it up and down etc

--
geoff

help with an old(ish) machine andy Metalworking 1 April 17th 05 08:53 PM
BBQ Plate? BIGEYE Metalworking 40 February 15th 05 10:53 PM
OT-ish: Oops B.B. Metalworking 4 February 2nd 05 05:25 PM
OT-ish: Battlebots again B.B. Metalworking 0 January 6th 05 04:21 AM