Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default OT ish: Best method of doing a BBQ

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"TMC" wrote in message

Saw a clever/simple idea where lumpwood is piled up on top of some
newspaper and sticks. A 'chimney' about 6" dia and 6" high is perched on
top, paper is lit, worked a treat. This was used in a steel tray bbq with
no vents in base

Tony

Nice. A good use for newpaper too.

I filter beeswax for various purposes and I save all the filter papers for
firelighting. They works brilliantly under wood, charcoal, even coke!
What's even better, they have a delightful fragrance. Better than anything
else, they're free and such use saves landfill.

Firelighters STINK, I don't want my food to taste of burnt paraffin. I
can't understand why people continue to use them. They even refuse my
'firelighters' which are offered at no cost, they prefer to pay for a
nasty smell.

I like the sound of the beeswax. OTOH it must be said that, although
firelighters do stink, they disappear and there is no taste of paraffin if
you wait for them to burn out. If there are still any flames/smoke, don't go
near it with any food is the golden rule - wait for them to go and then
some. Chill, have another glass of wine! The same goes for the self lighting
bags (where the charcoal is impregnated with paraffin). Mind you sometimes
you are not in control - I did attend a BBQ where they started cooking
before the flames died down - eeeeuurrgh!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)