Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Single pipe heating and radiators mounted too high

Hi Guys,
I have recently had a new bathroom installed and have had a radiator
mounted on the wall as a towel warmer. The bottom of the rad is about
3ft off the floor.

When I turned the heating on, the radiator did not heat up. My
installers tell me that because I have a single pipe heating system
and the rad is mounted so high up the wall, there is insufficient
pressure to get the hot water into it. They claim that the water is
simply flowing past the radiator and is unable to make it up there.
I have bled the rad and there is water right to the top.

Is this a possibility?
What other explinations are there?
Could it be plumbed up the wrong way around (is that even possible)?

If this is true would it be possible to block the pipe flowing past
the rad in effect forse the water through the rad? I know that this
would mean that if I turned the radiator off, the whole system would
break but are there any other reasons why this cant be done?

Thanks in advance.

David