Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Homeserve - Good or Bad?

I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 10:35 am, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.

just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

It's time to start thinking about a bit more than boiler lids.

If no one on the internet wants a piece of this try another newsgroup.
This is D-I-Y. Think about it.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr 2007 02:48:27 -0700, a particular chimpanzee,
"Weatherlawyer" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

It's time to start thinking about a bit more than boiler lids.

Boiler lids? Do boilers have lids? I must say, up to now the thought
of boiler lids has never crossed my mind. Not even once.

If no one on the internet wants a piece of this try another newsgroup.
This is D-I-Y. Think about it.

You are, of course, absolutely right. Except that these groups have
covered areas outside of the narrow definition of "do it yourself",
and have given helpful and informative answers to people asking
questions on matters such as home improvement and maintenance. Or
even http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...c50b94867b1e17 on
the subject of Jesus's appearance.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Weatherlawyer writes
On Apr 14, 10:35 am, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.

just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

It's time to start thinking about a bit more than boiler lids.

If no one on the internet wants a piece of this try another newsgroup.
This is D-I-Y. Think about it.

.... And when do we ever get around to discussing DIY ?

Hugo, what area is she in ?

I might have an alternative

also, have you tried finding out who looks after the local area social
housing? They might offer such a deal

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:35:16 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, raden
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Hugo, what area is she in ?

Liverpool.

I might have an alternative

also, have you tried finding out who looks after the local area social
housing? They might offer such a deal

I wouldn't trust Liverpool City Council (nor, to be honest, any large,
urban Council) or the local Housing Associations with anything like
this. I wouldn't want to get into the situation of my mother having
to ring a call centre and having to deal with "press button 3 for..",
as she's no longer up to following simple instructions.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message , Hugo Nebula
writes
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:35:16 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, raden
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Hugo, what area is she in ?

Liverpool.

I might have an alternative

also, have you tried finding out who looks after the local area social
housing? They might offer such a deal

I wouldn't trust Liverpool City Council (nor, to be honest, any large,
urban Council) or the local Housing Associations with anything like
this. I wouldn't want to get into the situation of my mother having
to ring a call centre and having to deal with "press button 3 for..",
as she's no longer up to following simple instructions.

I think that you slightly misunderstood

It's very unlikely that it would be the council as such who do the work,
they subcontract the work out (under tender) to firms who take on x
homes for Y pounds / house for z years

Here in Watford it's a company called Mears

so, they are set up to provide the service she's after, they have to
have a satisfactory level of competence, they are big enough to cope etc

and, they are not British gas, and they don't have the insurance company
in the loop taking their cut of your subscription

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:35:24 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost
wrote:

I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Don't know about homeserve but old lady up the road has had no hot
water for 6 weeks and they've just charged her 560 quid for a flush
out and that's with the bg cover

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.

Is she eligible for a brand new heating system for free?
BF's aunty got one and its guaranteed for years and they did all her
insulation too whilst they were at it.
--
http://wwww.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
http://wwww.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.

IANAL

Before she loses the plot completely, think about trying to back-date
an Enduring Power of Attorney form asap - it'll let you look after her
finances if she has problems in the future.

The rules changed at the beginning of the month, and the new paperwork
is a lot more expensive / in-depth than the old forms. You don't need
to "activate" them, just get them signed (last month...)

I've got a copy if you need them !
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Colin Wilson"
IANAL

Before she loses the plot completely, think about trying to back-date
an Enduring Power of Attorney form asap - it'll let you look after her
finances if she has problems in the future.

The rules changed at the beginning of the month, and the new paperwork
is a lot more expensive / in-depth than the old forms. You don't need
to "activate" them, just get them signed (last month...)

I've got a copy if you need them !

I am also not a lawyer but I was talking to one last week about the Mental
Capacity Act 2005 and she confirmed that the new provisions affecting
enduring power of attorney do not come into force until October 2007. From
October 2007, EPA changes to lasting power of attorney.

On the issue of emergency household cover, I pay an extra £9.99 per YEAR on
my house buildings insurance that covers all emergency call-outs affecting
gas, electricity, plumbing and drains. Norwich does a similar scheme but it
costs £7.99 per MONTH. See
http://www.norwichunion.com/home-eme...over/index.htm. For annual gas
boiler servicing I use a local CORGI plumber who charges about £50 per
service (Baxi Bermuda gas fire with back boiler).

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 06:46:45 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "DIY"
secret randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

On the issue of emergency household cover, I pay an extra £9.99 per YEAR on
my house buildings insurance that covers all emergency call-outs affecting
gas, electricity, plumbing and drains. Norwich does a similar scheme but it
costs £7.99 per MONTH. See
http://www.norwichunion.com/home-eme...over/index.htm. For annual gas
boiler servicing I use a local CORGI plumber who charges about £50 per
service (Baxi Bermuda gas fire with back boiler).

Thanks, but what she needs is a 24-hour emergency call-out number,
rather than a 24-hour _claims_ number. Paying for a plumber in an
emergency isn't the problem; finding one is.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

Thanks, but what she needs is a 24-hour emergency call-out number,
rather than a 24-hour _claims_ number. Paying for a plumber in an
emergency isn't the problem; finding one is.

I know two 80-odd year old girls who subscribe
to the BG maintenance contract. The contact
telephone number is pasted across the boiler.
They get the yearly inspection (and repairs if
req'd) and both have had swift and painless
callout experiences at time of need.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:42:40 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Tony
Williams randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I know two 80-odd year old girls who subscribe
to the BG maintenance contract. The contact
telephone number is pasted across the boiler.
They get the yearly inspection (and repairs if
req'd) and both have had swift and painless
callout experiences at time of need.

She had a BG contract for years. Yes, they turned up promptly, and
were there if needed. Each time a call was put in, a different fitter
would call, would diagnose something different than the previous guy,
and would undo what had been done before (usually to the detriment of
the system). My OP was trying to elicit an answer to whether
Homeserve offer a better or worse service than that.

The nightmare scenario I have in mind is; it's the middle of February,
there's ice & snow everywhere. At 9am on a Monday morning, I get a
call from my mother, "Hugo, the heating's not come on". After
establishing that she didn't touch anything (at her mental age, the
safest way to keep the system running is DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING), and a
few basic questions, I come to the conclusion that it's nothing I can
get her to fix by giving instructions over the phone. I have to then
ring up work and ask for a morning or whole day off work, ring up
people I was supposed to meet and put as many off as possible, ring
around colleagues and get them to cover the jobs I can't, ring up the
people attending the meetings I was having later that day and try and
rearrange. I then drive 30-odd miles to my mother's, and assess the
problem. If I'm lucky, it's something as simple as replacing a fuse
to the boiler; if I'm not, it will involve ringing around every
plumber in the Yellow Pages, all of whom are busy as it's the coldest
day of the year, and everyone's system has decided not to work today
either. If I find one, this will then involve me staying until he
arrives and can diagnose the problem, as I don't want the risk of him
trying to sell my mother a £2000 Franackapan valve.

Of course, the other solution to this problem is, 'sheltered housing',
but mention this to my mother at your peril!
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Hugo Nebula" wrote:
Thanks, but what she needs is a 24-hour emergency call-out number,
rather than a 24-hour _claims_ number. Paying for a plumber in an
emergency isn't the problem; finding one is.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

My insurance company calls out the appropriate tradesperson and pays the
tradesperson afterwards, it is nothing to do with me making a claim, I just
tell the insurance company the nature of the emergency.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.
--

A neighbour was eligible for a free central heating system including fitting
with Homeserve.

She's had a lot of problems with her boiler, sometimes leaving her without
heating and hot water for weeks.

I know about this because she asked for my help in trying to get a response
from Homeserve and Spouse's for doing cold water plumbing which affected the
boiler but which Homeserve refused to do. Trying to get Homeserve to
understand over the phone was a nightmare.

Emergency callout? Hrumph! She was told it would be six weeks to restore her
heating and hot water - in winter. In that case I got something done by
saying that she was ill and recently bereaved (both true) and would
Homeserve pick up the tab is she died of hypothermia? That was over the top
but it got them moving - on that occasion.

In her case - and I can say no more - she has had many problems from Day
One. Only by getting her medical team to contact the relevant MP did she get
a satisfactory solution to them.

I'm sure she's been unlucky but she regrets ever having had the work done,
if other beneficiaries of this government scheme have been as unlucky it's
another nail in their coffin.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:20:54 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
.. .
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.
--

A neighbour was eligible for a free central heating system including fitting
with Homeserve.

Woah Neddy !

Homeserve are a multinational PLC who didn't get where they are today
by fitting boilers & complete heating systems FOC.

http://www.homeserve.com/about-us/locations

"From head office in Walsall to Homeserve USA, we employ more than
4000 staff worldwide, and we're growing fast:

Homeserve plc
Cable Drive
Walsall
WS2 7BN"

She's had a lot of problems with her boiler, sometimes leaving her without
heating and hot water for weeks.

Can you just clarify for us, please, how Homeserve (who are a company
which offers very limited insurance against domestic heating and
plumbing breakdowns) came to be obliged to supply your neighbour with
a free central heating system ?

DG

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.

There's also an outfit I've heard of call www.coverheat.com - don't know
anything about them though.

Try looking into local options, as well as national outfits. I have
cover from a local company for a let-out house - excellent value and
great service the one time I had to use them.

David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 10:35 am, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Don't waste her money.
Ring a few plumbers up and get an arrangement with a good local one.
Firstly that he comes and services boiler etc every year and that he
will
come and fix any problems if you have them. It is much cheaper.
Forget these contracts they just pray on peoples paranoia

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

While Homeserve is a contract it's provided free for the consumer, by the
taxpayer.

You can't guarantee that the best willed plumber can drop everything to
attend a particular emergency.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:11:25 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Mary
Fisher" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

While Homeserve is a contract it's provided free for the consumer, by the
taxpayer.

Eh?! Am I missing something here? The Homeserve I'm talking about
are the ones who arrange cover through third parties; in this case
Ideal/Caradon. Is there another one, and is it free to pensioners?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:11:25 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Mary
Fisher" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

While Homeserve is a contract it's provided free for the consumer, by the
taxpayer.

Eh?! Am I missing something here? The Homeserve I'm talking about
are the ones who arrange cover through third parties; in this case
Ideal/Caradon. Is there another one, and is it free to pensioners?

My neighbour had a complete central heating system installed, free. She is
on some benefit which made her eligible. It's funded by 'The Government',
i.e. us.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:51:07 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Mary
Fisher" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

My neighbour had a complete central heating system installed, free. She is
on some benefit which made her eligible. It's funded by 'The Government',
i.e. us.

My father foolishly had a small pension from the docks, and invested
his redundancy payout rather than spending it. As a result my mother
just falls over the limit for claiming most means tested benefits.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Apr 14, 10:35 am, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
I need to arrange central heating cover for my aged mother. The
options seem to be limited to British Gas or Homeserve. She's had BG
before, with mixed results. Are Homeserve any better or worse?

Any other options? Bearing in mind she's 80+ years old, hasn't got a
clue how to work anything invented after 1939, and lives in a
different city to me, so some kind of emergency call-out is essential.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Do remember that there is a difference between emergency cover and
maintenance cover.

While some of the emergency cover companies do bend the rules to be
helpful.
In general you have to have an emergency, such as water gushing out
everywhere or no water at all in the home.
If even one tap works okay then it's not an emergency.

Likewise having no heating is not an emergency. You do have various
options such as using blankets or using electric heaters. I know as
British Gas told me to use both while i waited a week in near zero
temperatures to fix my heating.
Having a 75 year old in the house cut no mustard either.

So the advice below to find a good local plumber/heating engineer who
is willing to come out at any day/time.
But that seems more difficult than anything these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Londoncityslicker" wrote in message
ups.com...

If even one tap works okay then it's not an emergency.

Likewise having no heating is not an emergency.

According to Homecare it is.

You do have various
options such as using blankets or using electric heaters. I know as
British Gas told me to use both while i waited a week in near zero
temperatures to fix my heating.

That's British Gas.

Having a 75 year old in the house cut no mustard either.

It is according to Homecare. Homecare is designed with that in mind. The
fact that it didn't work in my neighbour's case - until they got the local
busybody (me) on the job doesn't count, it's supposed to work like that and
it might well do in other parts of the country.

Mary