Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minimum callout charges

A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses
the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts:
is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable
on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the second
visit would roll on from the first?

Not having a 'go' here - just wondering what standard policy was!

David
(who's thinking it's high time he decided he was 'competent' at gas work...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses
the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts:
is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable
on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the
second visit would roll on from the first?

The latter. Never encountered anything else.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-04 09:12:47 +0100, Lobster said:

A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses
the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts:
is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable
on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the second
visit would roll on from the first?

Not having a 'go' here - just wondering what standard policy was!

Whatever the fitter can get away with. However, I wouldn't agree to
anything other than the second.

Of course, this can be the classic distress purchase and negotiating
position is not as strong then.

David
(who's thinking it's high time he decided he was 'competent' at gas work...)

I'm sure he is....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:12:47 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses
the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts:
is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable
on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the second
visit would roll on from the first?

Not having a 'go' here - just wondering what standard policy was!

David
(who's thinking it's high time he decided he was 'competent' at gas work...)

A callout charge is just that, to cover the initial visit and not
subsequent ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses
the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts:
is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable
on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the second
visit would roll on from the first?

Not having a 'go' here - just wondering what standard policy was!

David
(who's thinking it's high time he decided he was 'competent' at gas
work...)

A callout charge is just that, to cover the initial visit and not
subsequent ones.

I agree one callout charge only

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
A tradesman is called out to fix an appliance... he attends, diagnoses
the problem and has to come back on another occasion to fir new parts:
is it right and fair that the minimum callout charge should be payable
on both occasions, or would it be expected that the time for the
second visit would roll on from the first?

Not having a 'go' here - just wondering what standard policy was!

I don't charge a specific callout, simply the 'first half hour' is charged
extra to cover travel.

If I have a good idea of what parts are required - and get it wrong I don't
charge for going to get them, nor do I charge another 'first half hour'.

If it turns out to be a completely unexpected item that I could not
reasonably be expected to have, I only charge for the time taken to go & get
it, but not the original 'first half hour'.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

ScottishPower gas charges mike UK diy 14 December 10th 05 12:04 PM
Water charges ben UK diy 11 September 6th 05 07:21 PM
Shipping and Handling Charges? [email protected] Woodturning 34 July 23rd 05 01:13 AM
rca repair charges [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 July 16th 05 11:31 PM
Credit card charges keith_765 UK diy 0 June 27th 05 09:08 AM