Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anderson Powerpole cnnectors, thanks for the recommendation

A week or two ago I asked about connectors for connecting battery
chargers to car (and similar) batteries. Quite a few people
recommended Anderson Powerpole connectors (which I had never heard
of).

Well, I have now bought some and used them and they're brilliant, just
about perfect for the application. I bought them from:-

http://www.torberry.co.uk/

They do sensible sized complete packs of all the bits you need to make
up a few connectors and their delivery charges are very reasonable
too.

Assembling and wiring the connectors is easy, I soldered the wires as
I don't have a suitable crimp tool for these particular connectors
(and my wires weren't a good fit either).

The only (very minor) issue I had was that the 'right' way to locate a
pair of connectors used together is a small 'roll pin' which isn't
supplied and which I don't have lying around. However as I had
ordered some cover sleeves these do an adequate job of preventing the
connectors sliding apart.

Thank you everyone who recommended these connectors, uk.d-i-y works
again!

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

These do look very nice indeed. I may get some for connecting battery
chargers to the vehicle that always needs charging, and for other LV uses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's exactly my application. An additional advantage (for me) is
that they pull apart fairly easily so when I drive the lawn tractor
off forgetting that the charger is connected it'll probably do no
harm.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I soldered the wires as
I don't have a suitable crimp tool for these particular connectors

Hmm, never a good idea IMO, soldered joints are more likely to fracture
than crimped joints in automotive applications.

Useful link though, very handy for me, and I coudl do with something
like this for the tractor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:

I soldered the wires as
I don't have a suitable crimp tool for these particular connectors

Hmm, never a good idea IMO, soldered joints are more likely to fracture
than crimped joints in automotive applications.

They do actually say the connectors are suitable for both soldering
and crimping. If you do it right then you can still 'squish' (i.e.
crimp with an incorrect tool) the connector over the wire where it
enters the connector and only solder further up.