Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3 port diverter valve - is this correct?

Hi

I just bought a new Siemens/Landis 3 port diverter valve to replace
the Switchmaster valve in our heating system that has finally expired
after 20 years.

I thought I would check it works OK before installing it, so after
wiring it in I observed the position of the valve ( its like a rubber
wedge) while changing the demand for heating and hot water.

With CH demand but no HW demand the CH port is fully open. With HW
demand but no CH demand the HW port is fully open. So far so good. But
with CH demand AND HW demand the valve does not go to exactly mid
point. I would estimate the valve goes to a position that is 60% CH
and 40% HW. Is this how these vlves are set up normally or is the
valve faulty?

I can imagine that it would be an advantage to operate like this
because the CH loop will require greater flow than the HW loop. But is
this how it should be?

I believe the 'mid' position is set by microswitches, are these
adjustable?

Thanks

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , LaserMark
writes
[...]

No, the switching position of the microswitches is fixed, the switches
are not adjustable and the opening position is set by a cam

I can only think that you have the wrong actuator head for the valve
(unless you have not diagnosed the problem correctly)
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:10:06 GMT, raden wrote:

[...]

No, this is a complete new actuator head and valve assembly straight
out of the box, i'm not mixing and matching.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 23:51, LaserMark wrote:
Hi

I just bought a new Siemens/Landis 3 port diverter valve to replace
the Switchmaster valve in our heating system that has finally expired
after 20 years.

I thought I would check it works OK before installing it, so after
wiring it in I observed the position of the valve ( its like a rubber
wedge) while changing the demand for heating and hot water.

With CH demand but no HW demand the CH port is fully open. With HW
demand but no CH demand the HW port is fully open. So far so good. But
with CH demand AND HW demand the valve does not go to exactly mid
point. I would estimate the valve goes to a position that is 60% CH
and 40% HW. Is this how these vlves are set up normally or is the
valve faulty?

Should not be a problem - it means the heating circuit will have a
bigger share of the available flow from the pump.

I can imagine that it would be an advantage to operate like this
because the CH loop will require greater flow than the HW loop. But is
this how it should be?

I believe the 'mid' position is set by microswitches, are these
adjustable?

No

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LaserMark wrote:

[...]

All the valves I've seen move through 90 degrees from HW to CH - with the
mid-position being at 45 degrees.

Sounds like someone has designed an 'improvement' into yours which gives a
bit more flow to the CH than to the HW when both are demanded at the same
time. I doubt whether it's a fault - it actually sounds like quite a good
idea.

Did it come with a leaflet which describes its operation? If so, what does
*that* say?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:51:11 +0100, "Roger Mills"

LaserMark wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately the instruction leaflet is rather vague and just has the
wiring diagram and port positions. Can't find it on the web either the
box says Landis & Staefa but the valve itself is branded Siemens.
Model no appears to be MA-V322C. Think I'll just give it a try, should
soon be apparent if the HW is starved of flow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:59:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

No, this is a complete new actuator head and valve assembly straight
out of the box, i'm not mixing and matching.

I suppose you have rewired the system from the Switchmaster
non-spring-return wiring to the standard Y-plan?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...torised_Valves

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:59:59 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:59:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

No, this is a complete new actuator head and valve assembly straight
out of the box, i'm not mixing and matching.

I suppose you have rewired the system from the Switchmaster
non-spring-return wiring to the standard Y-plan?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...torised_Valves

Yes I've rewired it as per the conversion table in the faq. As I say,
it appears to function correctly but for the fact that the mid
position isn't in fact mid position. Of course whether the position it
takes up would give equal flow remains to be seen?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LaserMark wrote:

[...]

Landis & Staefa is now part of Siemens Building Technologies, and not
too easy to find. There is what might be a similar model to yours here;
CMV… 22 and 28mm 3-port motorised valves.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/383vup or long url
http://www.eci.siemens.com/index.jsp...id=8599288962&

and a diagram showing a CMV322 here

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2u35xs
http://www.eci.siemens.com/index.jsp...=85 99288962&

Couldnt see much data, but there are phone numbers
Residential Technical Helpdesk: 0870 850 0184
General enquiries: 01784 412564

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:

Landis & Staefa is now part of Siemens Building Technologies, and not
too easy to find. There is what might be a similar model to yours
here; CMV. 22 and 28mm 3-port motorised valves.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/383vup or long url
http://www.eci.siemens.com/index.jsp...id=8599288962&

and a diagram showing a CMV322 here

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2u35xs
http://www.eci.siemens.com/index.jsp...=85 99288962&

Couldnt see much data, but there are phone numbers
Residential Technical Helpdesk: 0870 850 0184
General enquiries: 01784 412564

Phil

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what that
means?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 11:32:59 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Roger Mills"

Phil Addison wrote:

Landis & Staefa is now part of Siemens Building Technologies, and not
too easy to find. There is what might be a similar model to yours
here; CMV. 22 and 28mm 3-port motorised valves.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/383vup or long url
http://www.eci.siemens.com/index.jsp...id=8599288962&

and a diagram showing a CMV322 here

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2u35xs
http://www.eci.siemens.com/index.jsp...=85 99288962&

Couldnt see much data, but there are phone numbers
Residential Technical Helpdesk: 0870 850 0184
General enquiries: 01784 412564

Phil

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what that
means?

Where did you find that literature Roger? I couldn't find anything
further on that site. Mark says of his "its like a rubber wedge".

Phil

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil Addison
writes

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what that
means?

Where did you find that literature Roger? I couldn't find anything
further on that site. Mark says of his "its like a rubber wedge".

There is a style of valve with a triangular (like a cheese) section

This is to make the rubber perpendicular to each port as it swings from
one side to the other (badly explained, but YKWIM)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what
that means?

Where did you find that literature Roger? I couldn't find anything
further on that site. Mark says of his "its like a rubber wedge".

I was referring to the second reference which you gave. If you click on the
Flow Control bit, it shows pictures of 2 and 3 port valves, with a list of
features. 'Wedge type adtuator' is one of the features listed.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

In message , Phil Addison
writes

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what
that means?

Where did you find that literature Roger? I couldn't find anything
further on that site. Mark says of his "its like a rubber wedge".

There is a style of valve with a triangular (like a cheese) section

This is to make the rubber perpendicular to each port as it swings
from one side to the other (badly explained, but YKWIM)

So they're referring to the paddle inside the wet bit of the valve? That's
confusing 'cos, to most of us, 'actuator' means the dry bit containing the
electric motor!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
raden wrote:

In message , Phil Addison
writes

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what
that means?

Where did you find that literature Roger? I couldn't find anything
further on that site. Mark says of his "its like a rubber wedge".

There is a style of valve with a triangular (like a cheese) section

This is to make the rubber perpendicular to each port as it swings
from one side to the other (badly explained, but YKWIM)

So they're referring to the paddle inside the wet bit of the valve? That's
confusing 'cos, to most of us, 'actuator' means the dry bit containing the
electric motor!

Me too ...

My brain filtered out the actuator and went for the paddle, as it seemed
the obvious thing being referred to, as I couldn't think of anything
else either

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 18:34:42 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Roger Mills"

wrote:

The literature refers to a 'wedge' type actuator. Anyone know what
that means?

Where did you find that literature Roger? I couldn't find anything
further on that site. Mark says of his "its like a rubber wedge".

I was referring to the second reference which you gave. If you click on the
Flow Control bit, it shows pictures of 2 and 3 port valves, with a list of
features. 'Wedge type adtuator' is one of the features listed.

Ahh, right. Saw those... just glanced and went looking for the detailed
download - nowt there!! Siemens have seriously dumbed down the old
Landis & Gyr/Staefa site.

Phil