Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What a Day!

Promised myself I'd get home early today. It's been a hard week.

Nice little job for a company on a local industrial estate, 10 mins from
home, various simples maintenance items.

One of which was 'downstairs gents toilet has a funny smell'. Easy enough
to spot why - elderly WC connector was leaking. Loads of silicone from
previous repair attempts. Only option was a new one.

Off to Wickes for a WC connector with waste. Placed signs on upstairs
ladies & gents & downstairs ladies 'out of order - do not use'.

Undid overflow, removed screws from base & cistern, turned off service valve
& undid supply. Removed old pan connector - and heard the unmistakable
sound of an upstairs WC being flushed! Luckily enough I had the Wickes
carrier bag in my hand - and stuffed it into the soil pipe just in time.

Replaced connector, put everything else back in place, no problems - proper
job.

Just about to leave at 5:10pm when on final inspection I spotted a slight
drip on the cistern supply. "I'll just nip that up half a turn" - and the
bloody plastic ball valve thread split!

Off to B&Q for a new ball valve, just at peak time when the estate was
emptying out - finally got home at 7:15.

Urgent appointment with beer!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Just about to leave at 5:10pm when on final inspection I spotted a slight
drip on the cistern supply. "I'll just nip that up half a turn" - and the
bloody plastic ball valve thread split!

Off to B&Q for a new ball valve, just at peak time when the estate was
emptying out - finally got home at 7:15.

Urgent appointment with beer!

Dave, I feel for you! I've been considering changing my salaried-but-tenuous
position for a new self-employed life. As it happens a new opportunity job
has emerged and I'll continue to be a wage slave. But only for the moment -
your postings are an inspiration!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
Promised myself I'd get home early today. It's been a hard week.

Nice little job for a company on a local industrial estate, 10 mins from
home, various simples maintenance items.

One of which was 'downstairs gents toilet has a funny smell'. Easy enough
to spot why - elderly WC connector was leaking. Loads of silicone from
previous repair attempts. Only option was a new one.

I'm usually told of such things some time after they happen.

She: "There's something dripping"
He: "How long has it been doing that?"
She: "About a week"
He: "Why didn't you tell me about it before?"
She: "I thought you knew"

Off to Wickes for a WC connector with waste. Placed signs on upstairs
ladies & gents & downstairs ladies 'out of order - do not use'.

Undid overflow, removed screws from base & cistern, turned off service valve
& undid supply. Removed old pan connector - and heard the unmistakable
sound of an upstairs WC being flushed! Luckily enough I had the Wickes
carrier bag in my hand - and stuffed it into the soil pipe just in time.

I put a couple of lengths of parcel tape across the pan to make it
almost impossible to use.

Replaced connector, put everything else back in place, no problems - proper
job.

Just about to leave at 5:10pm when on final inspection I spotted a slight
drip on the cistern supply. "I'll just nip that up half a turn" - and the
bloody plastic ball valve thread split!

BTDTGTTS

Off to B&Q for a new ball valve, just at peak time when the estate was
emptying out - finally got home at 7:15.

Urgent appointment with beer!

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Promised myself I'd get home early today. It's been a hard week.

Nice little job for a company on a local industrial estate, 10 mins
from home, various simples maintenance items.

One of which was 'downstairs gents toilet has a funny smell'. Easy
enough to spot why - elderly WC connector was leaking. Loads of
silicone from previous repair attempts. Only option was a new one.

I'm usually told of such things some time after they happen.

She: "There's something dripping"
He: "How long has it been doing that?"
She: "About a week"
He: "Why didn't you tell me about it before?"
She: "I thought you knew"

So I'm not the only one; that's gratifying to read!

What frustrates me (and possibly results in the above(?)) are comments
such "as it fell", "the drawer got stuck and I had to pull hard", etc.
The inanimate object caused problems that had to be resolved! Hmm!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I think you'll find yours was a typical day for a plumber. That's why
they never turn up on time.

Didn't you ask your self one-day: 32 UK diy 5 July 9th 06 03:29 PM
A sad day SteveB Metalworking 151 September 27th 05 05:41 PM
O/T, Every Day You Don't Lew Hodgett Woodworking 7 August 25th 05 10:51 AM