Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loft conversion - fire-resisting doors

I am replacing some upstairs landing doorways, and they are a door
with a glass panel over, to let light into the landing. The glass
cannot be filled in without plunging the landing into darkness. I want
to make the doorways OK for a future loft conversion. They already
have rising-butt hinges, which will cope with the self-closing (when
oiled !). But I understand the glass panel over will also have to be
30mins fire-resistant. Each pane is about 800 x 500mm. What type of
glass would I need, and what would the cost be ? This must be a common
situation - what is the usual solution ?
Thanks.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JD JD is offline

Owain wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I am replacing some upstairs landing doorways, and they are a door
with a glass panel over, to let light into the landing. The glass
cannot be filled in without plunging the landing into darkness. I want
to make the doorways OK for a future loft conversion. They already
have rising-butt hinges, which will cope with the self-closing (when
oiled !). But I understand the glass panel over will also have to be
30mins fire-resistant. Each pane is about 800 x 500mm. What type of
glass would I need, and what would the cost be ? This must be a common
situation - what is the usual solution ?

wired glass? May depend on size of pane - check with Building Control

Owain

You dont have to use wired glass pyroguard is available in 30 and 1 hour
fire protection you may (more than likely) also need to change the door
and frame as well to give the necessary protection. have a look on the
BWF (British wood working federation) site and speak to an approved fire
centre for advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Mar 2007 08:48:19 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, "sm_jamieson"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I am replacing some upstairs landing doorways, and they are a door
with a glass panel over, to let light into the landing... I want
to make the doorways OK for a future loft conversion. They already
have rising-butt hinges, which will cope with the self-closing (when
oiled !).

Any loft conversion from 6th April 2007 will need the doors replacing
with fire doors (unless you want to get into the business of upgrading
them, which, unless your house is listed, isn't really worthwhile).
The good news though is that they don't need self closers on them.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 May, 07:43, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 08:48:19 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, "sm_jamieson"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I am replacing some upstairs landing doorways, and they are a door
with a glass panel over, to let light into the landing... I want
to make the doorways OK for a future loft conversion. They already
have rising-butt hinges, which will cope with the self-closing (when
oiled !).

Any loft conversion from 6th April 2007 will need the doors replacing
with fire doors (unless you want to get into the business of upgrading
them, which, unless your house is listed, isn't really worthwhile).
The good news though is that they don't need self closers on them.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

So whats the situation with doors with glass over ?
I imagine you could add some kind of fire-resisting glass as
"secondary glazing" to the existing pane ?
Simon,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 May 2007 01:17:28 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, sm_jamieson
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I imagine you could add some kind of fire-resisting glass as
"secondary glazing" to the existing pane ?

The glass over (as pointed out by others) has to be fire-resisting. It
can be fitted over the existing, provided the framing detail was
correct. However for a door frame with fanlight over, this usually
involves building out the frame, making it look ugly.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Owain wrote:
Hugo Nebula wrote:
Any loft conversion from 6th April 2007 will need the doors replacing
with fire doors (unless you want to get into the business of upgrading
them, which, unless your house is listed, isn't really worthwhile).
The good news though is that they don't need self closers on them.

I may be a bit fick here, but what's the point of fire doors without
self-closers?

Are people supposed to remember to shut them before going to bed pished
leaving the chip pan on?

But doors with closers get propped open. On balance they will be closed
more of the time without the closers.

--
djc

A not-quite loft conversion Chris Styles UK diy 5 October 5th 05 08:30 AM
Loft conversion.. Alex Dady UK diy 5 September 10th 04 03:27 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM
Loft Conversion Chris UK diy 5 June 14th 04 09:15 AM
loft conversion Kerry Hoskin UK diy 5 January 19th 04 08:15 PM