Posted to uk.d-i-y
JD JD is offline

Default loft conversion - fire-resisting doors

Owain wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I am replacing some upstairs landing doorways, and they are a door
with a glass panel over, to let light into the landing. The glass
cannot be filled in without plunging the landing into darkness. I want
to make the doorways OK for a future loft conversion. They already
have rising-butt hinges, which will cope with the self-closing (when
oiled !). But I understand the glass panel over will also have to be
30mins fire-resistant. Each pane is about 800 x 500mm. What type of
glass would I need, and what would the cost be ? This must be a common
situation - what is the usual solution ?

wired glass? May depend on size of pane - check with Building Control

Owain

You dont have to use wired glass pyroguard is available in 30 and 1 hour
fire protection you may (more than likely) also need to change the door
and frame as well to give the necessary protection. have a look on the
BWF (British wood working federation) site and speak to an approved fire
centre for advice.