Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion heater problem

Hi,

I have a faulty immersion heater in a new apartment. The 'top up /
sink' option heats water for an hour or two but when I use the 'bath'
option for several hours over night there is no hot water in the
mornings. Would you think this points to a thermostat or element
problem?

Assuming it is an element problem, are these expensive? I have little
plumbing experience, would it be best to get a plumber to replace
this?

Thanks,
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a faulty immersion heater in a new apartment. The 'top up /
sink' option heats water for an hour or two but when I use the

'bath'
option for several hours over night there is no hot water in the
mornings. Would you think this points to a thermostat or element
problem?

Assuming it is an element problem, are these expensive? I have

little
plumbing experience, would it be best to get a plumber to replace
this?

Thanks,
Paul

It sounds as though your system switches between two thermostats, one
at high level so just the upper level of the tank gets heated, and one
at lower level doing the whole tank. If this is the case then I would
suspect that the lower thermostat is u/s. However you may have two
immersion heaters, one high & one low each with a thermostat pushed
down the centre. In this later case it could be either the lower
heater or the lower thermostat.

It is dead easy to replace the thermostats if you are electrically
competent - they just slide into a hole, however the immersion heaters
themselves can be a b***r to get unscrewed and you will have to drain
the system down. While the tank is still full of water (and hence has
a significant mass) try to slightly loosen the immersion heater with
the special big spanner and a thump from a hammer. If you try this on
an empty tank the probability is that the tank will bend all over the
place.

The elements are relatively cheap and it is well worth getting a good
quality one intended for a hard water area.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi and thanks for the reply.

It sounds as though your system switches between two thermostats, one
at high level so just the upper level of the tank gets heated, and one
at lower level doing the whole tank. If this is the case then I would
suspect that the lower thermostat is u/s. However you may have two
immersion heaters, one high & one low each with a thermostat pushed
down the centre. In this later case it could be either the lower
heater or the lower thermostat.

Is the heater more likely to have two thermostats or two elements? I
am certain the problem is only with one 'thing' would you have any
tips on how I could check if it is the thermostat or the element. If
there is only one element then I know it is the thermostat but if
there is two elements and two thermostats is there a way I can know
what is faulty?

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi and thanks for the reply.

[...]

To test the thermomstat you need to electrically isolate it, then
check it's electrical continuity when cold and it's lack of continuity
when hot (pan of water on the stove).

I suspect that if you need to ask these questions then it is perhaps
time to get someone else involved.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect that if you need to ask these questions then it is perhaps
time to get someone else involved.

You are most likely correct and I probably will, I am just running
through options.

To test the thermomstat you need to electrically isolate it, then
check it's electrical continuity when cold and it's lack of continuity
when hot (pan of water on the stove).

Since the 'boost / sink' option works would it be safe to say it is
probably an element problem or could it be the thermostat? If you have
no way of knowing without further tests I would understand.

Thanks,
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

I suspect that if you need to ask these questions then it is

perhaps
time to get someone else involved.

You are most likely correct and I probably will, I am just running
through options.

To test the thermomstat you need to electrically isolate it, then
check it's electrical continuity when cold and it's lack of

continuity
when hot (pan of water on the stove).

Since the 'boost / sink' option works would it be safe to say it is
probably an element problem or could it be the thermostat? If you

have
no way of knowing without further tests I would understand.

Thanks,
Paul

See my original reply! It depends entirely on the configuration of
thermostats and heaters in tha tank.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It may be a time clock issue. You may be using up a reserve of hot
water while the unit is being automatically switched off overnight.

I don't think so. I set it to turn off when I get up and there is
still no hot water, it should have been on for a few hours at this
point.

Thanks,
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a faulty immersion heater in a new apartment. The 'top up /
sink' option heats water for an hour or two but when I use the 'bath'
option for several hours over night there is no hot water in the
mornings. Would you think this points to a thermostat or element
problem?

Assuming it is an element problem, are these expensive? I have little
plumbing experience, would it be best to get a plumber to replace
this?

Interested to hear response, my partner's son has just moved into a new
build flat and has the same problem. I didn't have test equipment first
visit but will probably go back and have another look. Whereabouts
geographically are you (in case it's the same builder!)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
I have a faulty immersion heater in a new apartment. The 'top up /
sink' option heats water for an hour or two but when I use the 'bath'
option for several hours over night there is no hot water in the
mornings. Would you think this points to a thermostat or element
problem?

It would be a simple matter to check which is faulty - assuming you know
how to check electrical circuits. I'm assuming it has one of these:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RRTS27T.html

Assuming it is an element problem, are these expensive? I have little
plumbing experience, would it be best to get a plumber to replace
this?

Immersions have a habit of seizing in the tank. But other than that fairly
simple.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Immersion Heater Problem Tim W. UK diy 0 March 26th 05 08:40 PM
Immersion heater problem [email protected] UK diy 4 March 6th 05 12:07 AM
Immersion heater problem Dane Koekoek UK diy 11 January 15th 05 02:52 PM
Immersion heater - spot the problem RichardS UK diy 26 July 20th 04 10:55 AM
Immersion Heater Problem [email protected] UK diy 8 January 3rd 04 04:36 PM