Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polystyrene ceiling rose removed - how to get rid of gummy adhesive?

Hi everyone,

I've just removed a polystyrene ceiling rose (yuck!) from my lounge
and want to get rid of the remaining adhesive residue without
destroying the lining paper/plaster above. Please can you advise me on
the best product to use for effective removal? Not sure what the
adhesive was, whether it was something like No More Nails etc, but
I've got a pic a href=http://www.ochremusic.com/pics/rose.jpghere/
a if it helps.

Any ideas? I do plan to get a replacement rose - would one of those
light acrylic roses be sacrilege? Or just a practical alternative to
conventional plaster roses?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

I've just removed a polystyrene ceiling rose (yuck!) from my lounge
and want to get rid of the remaining adhesive residue without
destroying the lining paper/plaster above. Please can you advise me on
the best product to use for effective removal? Not sure what the
adhesive was, whether it was something like No More Nails etc, but
I've got a pic a href=http://www.ochremusic.com/pics/rose.jpghere/
a if it helps.

Any ideas? I do plan to get a replacement rose - would one of those
light acrylic roses be sacrilege? Or just a practical alternative to
conventional plaster roses?

Thanks for the help.

If you're going to replace it there is no need to remove whats there.

ps a plaster ceiling rose will only cost you £14 if that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've just removed a polystyrene ceiling rose (yuck!) from my lounge
and want to get rid of the remaining adhesive residue without
destroying the lining paper/plaster above. Please can you advise me on
the best product to use for effective removal? Not sure what the
adhesive was, whether it was something like No More Nails etc, but
I've got a pic a href=http://www.ochremusic.com/pics/rose.jpghere/
a if it helps.

Any ideas? I do plan to get a replacement rose - would one of those
light acrylic roses be sacrilege? Or just a practical alternative to
conventional plaster roses?

Thanks for the help.

It was probably a non solvent based contact, and as such nothing
practical will really dissolve it.

Sand it all off skim and repaint, or cover with something else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.com/3y2osu

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, I'll try and sand down what's there and replace the rose with
something slightly larger. Thanks for the link too - I'd seen that
site from previous posts and noted the roses there. Looks like the
resin roses will be easier to handle than plaster, so I'll probably
plump for those. It'll be a step up from polystyrene anyway! :P

polystyrene ceiling tiles keith_765 UK diy 26 August 24th 06 08:44 PM
Ceiling rose wiring Frank P UK diy 11 May 28th 06 12:08 PM
Polystyrene Ceiling tiles again The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 3 March 11th 06 07:11 PM
Interlocking Suspended Ceiling/Fixing Trunking - Self adhesive or Impact adhesive. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:21 AM
Replacement for Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles ? Andrew Mawson UK diy 12 November 20th 03 04:20 PM