Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Extending appliance cable

Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

TIA

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

TIA

Specially made ones for loose cables exist..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F wrote:
Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

There are proper connectors available for this job:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ors/index.html

However, in many cases it's quite easy to simply fit a longer flex.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 15/03/2007 18:07 Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ors/index.html

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? I've used enough of them in the past,
though admittedly not in the kitchen but in the garden after the mower
trimmed its own cable as well as the grass.

However, in many cases it's quite easy to simply fit a longer flex.

Thought of that but decided against it as I didn't want to risk the new
machine's guarantee by opening it up.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:30:24 +0000, F wrote:

Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

Good grief no: chock block and sellotape's the way! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"F" wrote in message
Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

TIA

Why not a short single plug and trailing socket ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:30:24 UTC, F wrote:

Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

No. They're not really designed for flex. There is no strain relief.
They are not even water resistant.

One esay solution *might* be the 'waterproof' boxes you can fit round an
extension lead joint in the garden. But I'd fit a longer flex.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote in
news

Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

Good grief no: chock block and sellotape's the way! ;-)

Chock Block!!!!!

Overdoing it a bit, aren't you?

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:06:28 UTC, "R" wrote:

"F" wrote in message
Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

TIA

Why not a short single plug and trailing socket ?

Potentially wet area...?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:30:24 +0000, F wrote:

Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

Good grief no: chock block and sellotape's the way! ;-)

Have you been round my house then ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:20:29 +0000, F mused:

However, in many cases it's quite easy to simply fit a longer flex.

Exactly what I'd probably do.

Thought of that but decided against it as I didn't want to risk the new
machine's guarantee by opening it up.

Simply cutting the plug off invalidates most warranties nowadays so
you may as well invalidate the warranty by doing the job properly.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
Simply cutting the plug off invalidates most warranties nowadays so
you may as well invalidate the warranty by doing the job properly.

Have you any proof of this? Logic says it simply wouldn't stand up in a
court of law. Different opening up something that is sealed, though, if
for a good reason. Which washing machines usually aren't.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar, 09:35, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Lurch wrote:

Simply cutting the plug off invalidates most warranties nowadays so
you may as well invalidate the warranty by doing the job properly.

I hope not because I have to cut off the moulded plugs supplied with
appliances and fir plugs with a ring on the back so my wife (who
suffers from arthritis) can unplug things!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:35:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
mused:

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
Simply cutting the plug off invalidates most warranties nowadays so
you may as well invalidate the warranty by doing the job properly.

Have you any proof of this?

Er, my mate says so!

Seriously though, no. I should have added an AFAIAA. I'll look into
it, it may be one of those urban myths.

Logic says it simply wouldn't stand up in a
court of law. Different opening up something that is sealed, though, if
for a good reason. Which washing machines usually aren't.

Think the reasoning behind it would be that if the machine went faulty
it's be your fault for wiring the plug wrong, whether it was ore not.
If you open the machine up then exposure to light would be the
diagnosis. The t's and c's are obviously there for the sake of it, I
never said I agreed wth most of them, or didn't contravene most of
them.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
Is it acceptable to use a junction box to extend the cable/flex on an
appliance such as a washing machine?

TIA

Why not a short single plug and trailing socket ?

Potentially wet area...?

http://www.diybanter.com

If it's a 'potentially wet area' then neither does the plug nor the
wall socket comply either surely. And that also applies to any other
junction box, etc.

I would use an extension lead ensuring that it is stored above the
height of the socket, or somewhere away from the floor where it cannot
get wet.

The other alternative is to do a fused spur socket from the ring
circuit - if you are still allowed to do that in God's abandoned
country !

Rob in Edinburgh

Extending satelite cable R.P.McMurphy UK diy 10 October 27th 06 08:56 PM
Extending cooker cable F UK diy 1 September 20th 06 10:43 PM
Extending my lawnmower cable Lobster UK diy 7 April 24th 05 10:42 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 11:44 AM
moving switch / extending cable [email protected] UK diy 9 November 11th 03 10:31 PM