Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Granite Porous?

Renovations have been carried out on an old building next to my work, all
the pointing has been re-done but water is still seeping through.
The walls are granite, not sure how thick but at least a foot I would
imagine.
The builders are saying that granite is porous and that's where the water is
getting in, sounds unlikely to me but I'm sure someone here has an expert
opinion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:16:32 -0000, "Scabbydug"
wrote:

Renovations have been carried out on an old building next to my work, all
the pointing has been re-done but water is still seeping through.
The walls are granite, not sure how thick but at least a foot I would
imagine.
The builders are saying that granite is porous and that's where the water is
getting in, sounds unlikely to me but I'm sure someone here has an expert
opinion.

I believe it is, so is often sealed on the likes of worktops etc. Not
sure it's porous enough to 'leak' in that sense though?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Renovations have been carried out on an old building next to my work, all
the pointing has been re-done but water is still seeping through.
The walls are granite, not sure how thick but at least a foot I would
imagine.
The builders are saying that granite is porous and that's where the water is
getting in, sounds unlikely to me but I'm sure someone here has an expert
opinion.

I believe it is, so is often sealed on the likes of worktops etc. Not
sure it's porous enough to 'leak' in that sense though?

All the best ..

T i m

Ask the folk who built most of Aberdeen ..They should know...the place
is built with it .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart B wrote:
I believe it is, so is often sealed on the likes of worktops etc. Not
sure it's porous enough to 'leak' in that sense though?

Ask the folk who built most of Aberdeen ..They should know...the place
is built with it .

Well, they don't bother with sissy southern things like DPCs...

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Renovations have been carried out on an old building next to my work, all
the pointing has been re-done but water is still seeping through.
The walls are granite, not sure how thick but at least a foot I would
imagine.
The builders are saying that granite is porous and that's where the water is
getting in, sounds unlikely to me but I'm sure someone here has an expert
opinion.

I believe it is, so is often sealed on the likes of worktops etc. Not
sure it's porous enough to 'leak' in that sense though?

All the best ..

T i m

Ask the folk who built most of Aberdeen ..They should know...the place
is built with it .

................... and it's always ****ing with rain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aberdeen

... and it's always ****ing with rain.

Not always.
It snows sometimes.

Indeed.
Though not much this winter.
( Last March we had an excellent snowfall...
Here's a few photos around my house from then... )

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ronlowe.abz/DIY

The Alps have had a bad season this year too.

gloat mode on
Fortunately, we're off to Breckenridge in 2 weeks time :-)
gloat mode off

Perhaps I'll have the aerial installed by then...

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Tim

most stone will be porous to some degree , Bath stone will more so
than granite , rain water will hardly penertrate good face stone and
when it stops raining it will release it back out quite quickly ,
allowing a building to breath some would say. It will be different if
the stone has deteriorated or if there has been a leak on it for a
prolonged period. This would show as crumbly stone and on the inside
efforescence or blown plaster.

Pablo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ron Lowe
ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS@?.? writes
Aberdeen

... and it's always ****ing with rain.

Not always.
It snows sometimes.

Indeed.
Though not much this winter.
( Last March we had an excellent snowfall...
Here's a few photos around my house from then... )

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ronlowe.abz/DIY

The Alps have had a bad season this year too.

gloat mode on
Fortunately, we're off to Breckenridge in 2 weeks time :-)
gloat mode off

Nice one, many years since I was there, with fond memories of hiking to
the top of Peak 7 to do the bowls and of sampling the huge burritos at the
Bergenhof restaurant on Peak 8, highly recommended if they still do them.
Easy transport to the surrounding linked resorts if you fancy a change of
scenery too, enjoy.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I'd never have guessed it but it seems it is porous to some degree:

from:
Q. Isn't granite porous? What about sealers?

A. Granite is the next hardest material to a diamond. There are some
granites that are more porous than others however, all of our granite
countertops are sealed during the fabrication process and again upon
installation. The rule of thumb is that when the water no longer beads up,
it's time to re-seal. For some folks that's two years, for some it's 4-5. It
depends upon usage.
http://www.instile.com/faq/faq04-porous.htm

But I'm sure it's not porous to the extent of "water seeping".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 March 2007 12:18:54 UTC, Martin wrote:

A. Granite is the next hardest material to a diamond.

Nope - that would be Sapphire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2007, that seems a long time ago, funny how these old posts seem to surface
again. I blame the aliens.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 14 March 2007 12:18:54 UTC, Martin wrote:

A. Granite is the next hardest material to a diamond.

Nope - that would be Sapphire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 March 2007 12:18:54 UTC, Martin wrote:

A. Granite is the next hardest material to a diamond.

Nope - that would be Sapphire.

Well done, nothing like a timely correction, and that was nothing like a
timely correction.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2016 08:00, Tim+ wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 March 2007 12:18:54 UTC, Martin wrote:

A. Granite is the next hardest material to a diamond.

Nope - that would be Sapphire.

Well done, nothing like a timely correction, and that was nothing like a
timely correction.

Given its both late and wrong, one would have to agree.

--
Cheers,

John.

Porous Porcelain? Richard UK diy 6 October 1st 06 12:34 PM
Porous, spattery welds [email protected] UK diy 11 September 14th 05 02:41 PM
Best polish for Porous tile floor Simon UK diy 5 April 6th 05 10:31 AM
Porous WC Another Dave UK diy 7 January 8th 05 09:04 PM
Porous Bath Colin UK diy 1 September 9th 03 08:27 PM