Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default do B&Q cut worktops for you?

as subject
ta
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:41:06 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

as subject
ta

Yes. Generally they ask you to pay first on the argument that you
could change your mind and walk away. My counter to that one was
that if they screw up the cutting, they should take responsibility,
and if I have already paid, that would be more difficult.

They cut; *then* I paid.

However, don't trust them to cut accurately. They don't maintain the
accuracy of their saws and the staff are sloppy.

Ask them to cut at least 100mm over length. This also has the
advantage that you can trim both ends if needed to deal with any
transport dings.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

as subject
ta

Yes. Generally they ask you to pay first on the argument that you
could change your mind and walk away. My counter to that one was
that if they screw up the cutting, they should take responsibility,
and if I have already paid, that would be more difficult.

They cut; *then* I paid.

Most worktops have ends where the chipboard core extends past the laminate,
so to get, for example a 1.6 metre peice out of a 2 metre worktop needs two
cuts.

However, don't trust them to cut accurately. They don't maintain the
accuracy of their saws and the staff are sloppy.

They also cut from the 'wrong' side occassionally & chip out the surface.
Happened when I went with my sister in law to B&Q. The guy couldn't
understand what he had done wrong even when he was looking at the chipped
edge - which was badly chipped.

They also have no concept of a kerf. As Andy says, watch them like a hawk.

Ask them to cut at least 100mm over length. This also has the
advantage that you can trim both ends if needed to deal with any
transport dings.

Good idea, but many people have them cut because they don't have facilities,
not just to get them in the car.

Can't believe you have B&Q worktops Andy - I would have expected Harrods at
least :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:11:03 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Ask them to cut at least 100mm over length. This also has the
advantage that you can trim both ends if needed to deal with any
transport dings.

Good idea, but many people have them cut because they don't have facilities,
not just to get them in the car.

Can't believe you have B&Q worktops Andy - I would have expected Harrods at
least :-)

I don't. These were some lengths that they had in a sale for £20
that I bought to practice use of a router jig before cutting the
worktop I was using.

That didn't come from Harrods though....

The bits of the B&Q one went in a skip afterwards - it wasn't the most
aesthetically pleasing worktop I've ever seen - a sort of lurid green.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

as subject
ta

Yes. Generally they ask you to pay first on the argument that you
could change your mind and walk away. My counter to that one was
that if they screw up the cutting, they should take responsibility,
and if I have already paid, that would be more difficult.

Surely if you agree to what you will pay for and get, and then pay for it,
then that is what they have to deliver. How many times worktops they get
through is up to them. Just make sure you are paying for *a* worktop cut to
those dimensions, and not *that* worktop, and then going back for an
additional 'cutting service'.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:25:44 GMT, "Jason"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

as subject
ta

Yes. Generally they ask you to pay first on the argument that you
could change your mind and walk away. My counter to that one was
that if they screw up the cutting, they should take responsibility,
and if I have already paid, that would be more difficult.

Surely if you agree to what you will pay for and get, and then pay for it,
then that is what they have to deliver. How many times worktops they get
through is up to them. Just make sure you are paying for *a* worktop cut to
those dimensions, and not *that* worktop, and then going back for an
additional 'cutting service'.

-- JJ

Well yes. I just prefer to conduct purchases by my rules rather than
what they choose to make up.

The issue is that they scan the barcode on the label and of course it
will show the price for the complete piece on the receipt. I have no
problem in paying for the complete piece and understand that that is
how B&Q sells it - it is not sold in 30cm increments for example.

If I take the complete piece to the till and pay for it first and then
take it for cutting, if they screw it up, they have my money and at a
price of £100 my negotiating position is quite weak - in essence, my
word against theirs and nothing in writing.

OTOH, if they cut it, I check it and *then* I pay for it, I am only
paying when I am satisfied. In the worst case, I can simply walk
away.

That is a much more satisfactory approach.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think all the B&Q Warehouses cut worktops, but it's purely on a "to
get it in the car" basis, and I don't blame them for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
as subject
ta

Yes. Generally they ask you to pay first on the argument that you
could change your mind and walk away. My counter to that one was
that if they screw up the cutting, they should take responsibility,
and if I have already paid, that would be more difficult.

They cut; *then* I paid.

My local one doesn't seem to care (or at least the guy that I saw
cutting one fresh of the shelf for someone recently).

If you wanted to be a *real* ******* - perhaps they'd ****ed you off
with poor service elsewhere in the store - you could take one of their
worktops to the cutting guy and get it chopped in half. Then just push
the trolley to the other side of the store and walk out.

Ouch.

I wonder where you'd stand legally?! If you ask a member of staff to
chop/snap something in half, and they do without actually checking you
intend on buying it...?

Mathew