Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

Default Cleaning a white leather suite

We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't
envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean and
conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with
leather cleaning and conditioning products?

Jo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:01:15 -0000, "Jo"
wrote:

We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't
envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean and
conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with
leather cleaning and conditioning products?

Jo

Haven't used this product but I know that Lakeland sell a set of
cleaner and hide food stuff . have a look at their website .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't
envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean and
conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with
leather cleaning and conditioning products?

Jo

Haven't used this product but I know that Lakeland sell a set of
cleaner and hide food stuff . have a look at their website .
Stuart

I've cleaned my old leather suite with washing up liquid or jif/cif
and never had any problems but then again it wasn't white.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo" wrote:

We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't
envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean and
conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with
leather cleaning and conditioning products?

While the suite is still under guarantee, you should only use products
that are recommended or supplied by whoever made or sold you the
suite. That is to ensure that you stay within the terns of the
warranty. After that expires, you have a little more freedom.

Personally, I am all for using traditional leather care products that
have stood the test of time. For cleaning, use saddle soap. For
conditioning and protection, use a pure neatsfoot oil.

I have used these products on leather upholstery in the home and my
car (and on leather clothing) for the last 30+ years, and they keep
the leather soft, supple and clean. Over a period of time, a periodic
application of neatsfoot oil will make almost all leathers (except the
very cheapest) beautifully soft.

Avoid neatsfoot oil that has been diluted with solvents or mixed with
mineral oils, because those additives can cause deterioration of the
leather that may not be reversible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo wrote:
We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't
envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean
and conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad
experiences with leather cleaning and conditioning products?

http://www.prochem.co.uk/upholstery_...c_products.htm

Middle column at the bottom; Leather Cleaner & Leather Conditioner.

Prochem stuff is the mutts nuts.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote

Has anyone had any good or bad
experiences with leather cleaning and conditioning products?

http://www.prochem.co.uk/upholstery_...c_products.htm

Middle column at the bottom; Leather Cleaner & Leather Conditioner.

Prochem stuff is the mutts nuts.

It says that the Case Qty is 10.

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Mar, 10:26, Brian L Johnson wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote

Has anyone had any good or bad
experiences with leather cleaning and conditioning products?

http://www.prochem.co.uk/upholstery_...c_products.htm

Middle column at the bottom; Leather Cleaner & Leather Conditioner.

Prochem stuff is the mutts nuts.

It says that the Case Qty is 10.

--
-blj-

You could try http://www.wessexcleaning.com/product.asp?P_ID=165

No experience with them so not a recommendation.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 3:01 pm, "Jo" wrote:
We have recently purchased an 'almost white' leather suite. We don't
envisage it becoming extremely dirty but would like to keep it clean and
conditioned from the start. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with
leather cleaning and conditioning products?

No care instructions on a sewn-in label ?

The one on my suite specifically advises against using any leather
"food". Don't know why - it's recommended for my car seats.

I use a solution of pure soap (Lux or similar) and a clean cloth to
lift the dirt, then a quick wipe-over with clean water, then dry with
a towel. If I chose to use a conditioner, I would wait until the
leather was completely dry - most are very "oily" and emulsify when
they hit a trace of water.

--
"If idiots could fly, this would be an airport."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian L Johnson wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote

Has anyone had any good or bad
experiences with leather cleaning and conditioning products?

http://www.prochem.co.uk/upholstery_...c_products.htm

Middle column at the bottom; Leather Cleaner & Leather Conditioner.

Prochem stuff is the mutts nuts.

It says that the Case Qty is 10.

That's if you buy it direct as a stockist. Check Yellow Pages under
Janitorial Supplies for a local outlet. Virtually all Jani outlets stock
Prochem and will happily sell a single bottle.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:21:53 +0000, Tony Polson wrote:

For cleaning, use saddle soap.

OTOH, saddle soap is used for saddles, where mechanical wear and tear is
high and continued function is seen as more important than appearance.
If you're worried about appearance, then it can be a bad choice -- in
particular, any water-based treatment is likely to darken non-dyed
leathers. (my background is from museum curation, not upholstery).

White leather is quite easy to look after, in comparison. As raw leather
is anything but white, the surface you're looking at is more like paint
than leather itself. The hardest to care for is something like a
traditional "natural" Chesterfield, where the surface material is very
exposed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:26:12 -0000, Brian L Johnson
wrote:

It says that the Case Qty is 10.

That's why His Noodliness gave us eBay and uk.d-i-y

Marks and Spencer (M & S) Abbey Three piece Leather suite - Brown Malup Home Ownership 0 December 31st 06 06:01 PM
Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning... Jamie Dolan Home Repair 4 August 21st 06 03:39 AM
en-suite shower/wc ianw UK diy 3 March 13th 06 11:45 AM
En-suite toilet jason UK diy 8 January 13th 06 09:23 AM
Cleaning a leather couch MOLLOYRO Home Ownership 2 August 20th 04 12:29 AM