Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meldrew Moment

Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her bathroom
floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since some alterations to
the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting to find
soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:22:11 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her bathroom
floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since some alterations to
the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting to find
soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

Oh..

and here was me thinking that you were looking for tuition in how to
assert for getting proper service.

I'm thinking of starting a school teaching how to do this - there is
an enormous market need in the UK.

Was the lady petite?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her bathroom
floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since some alterations to
the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting to find
soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

It conjures up this image of standing there to take a pee, the floor
giving way, and you find yourself face high to a toilet seat, straddled
across a joist, with a wreaked lath and plaster ceiling below! The
landing is not going to be pleasant!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:32:06 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her bathroom
floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since some alterations to
the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting to find
soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

It conjures up this image of standing there to take a pee, the floor
giving way, and you find yourself face high to a toilet seat, straddled
across a joist, with a wreaked lath and plaster ceiling below! The
landing is not going to be pleasant!

That would depend (in part) on the positions of the joists.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her bathroom
floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since some alterations
the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting to
find
soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

Oh..

and here was me thinking that you were looking for tuition in how to
assert for getting proper service.

If you want the eazy service try the single mothers (any age) or divorvced
women in their late 30s early 40s.

Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her
bathroom floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since
some alterations to the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting
to find soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

Oh..

and here was me thinking that you were looking for tuition in how to
assert for getting proper service.

I'm thinking of starting a school teaching how to do this - there is
an enormous market need in the UK.

Was the lady petite?

I didn't actually understand a word of that Andy?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Working in a Victorian house today, lady wanted me to look at her
bathroom floor which she said was 'bouncy'. Not been right since
some alterations to the central heating a few months ago.

The floor (4' x 6') was indeed bouncy. Removed the vinyl expecting
to find soggy chipboard, but no. Suspected over notched joists.

Turned out to be floored in 12mm chipboard!

The mind boggles................

Oh..

and here was me thinking that you were looking for tuition in how to
assert for getting proper service.

I'm thinking of starting a school teaching how to do this - there is
an enormous market need in the UK.

Was the lady petite?

I didn't actually understand a word of that Andy?

I was thinking of VM's other raison d'etre to his famous catch phrase
- giving suppliers of goods and services serious stick for non
performance or more accurately not fulfilling their promises. There's
a definite need for more of that.

As to the lady being petite, it was in the context of whether she was
at risk of falling through the floor.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I was thinking of VM's other raison d'etre to his famous catch phrase
- giving suppliers of goods and services serious stick for non
performance or more accurately not fulfilling their promises. There's
a definite need for more of that.

Aha!

As to the lady being petite, it was in the context of whether she was
at risk of falling through the floor.

Plummeting possibly :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:48:54 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I was thinking of VM's other raison d'etre to his famous catch phrase
- giving suppliers of goods and services serious stick for non
performance or more accurately not fulfilling their promises. There's
a definite need for more of that.

Aha!

As to the lady being petite, it was in the context of whether she was
at risk of falling through the floor.

Plummeting possibly :-)

So what did you do?

Rip it all up and 18mm ply throughout?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I was thinking of VM's other raison d'etre to his famous catch
phrase - giving suppliers of goods and services serious stick for
non performance or more accurately not fulfilling their promises.
There's a definite need for more of that.

Aha!

As to the lady being petite, it was in the context of whether she
was at risk of falling through the floor.

Plummeting possibly :-)

So what did you do?

Rip it all up and 18mm ply throughout?

Ripped it up & used 18mm P5 moisture resistant T & G chipboard. Fine for
400mm spaced joists.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman