Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas valve solenoids

Is it worth replacing solenoids in a gas valve rather than replacing
the complete valve ? And if so who sells them? The manual describes how to
remove them but gives no further information.

Boiler is about 10 years old - Glow Worm Economy Plus.

Tia.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
Is it worth replacing solenoids in a gas valve rather than replacing
the complete valve ? And if so who sells them? The manual describes

how to
remove them but gives no further information.

Boiler is about 10 years old - Glow Worm Economy Plus.

Tia.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux
Everything working so far
================================

I have had to do this once or twice over the past few decades when the
valve was either obsolete or stupidly expensive. Last time was back
end of last year when the solenoid had gone open circuit on a ceramic
chip forge burner. I just googled the manufacturer, rang them up and
found a local stockist. Coil was about a tenth of the price of the
complete assembly.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero formulated on Saturday :
Is it worth replacing solenoids in a gas valve rather than replacing
the complete valve ? And if so who sells them? The manual describes how to
remove them but gives no further information.

Boiler is about 10 years old - Glow Worm Economy Plus.

I replaced our gas valves pilot solenoid coil a couple of years ago. I
managed to scrounge the part from another similar, but not the same,
valve model.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 09:32:37 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Cicero formulated on Saturday :
Is it worth replacing solenoids in a gas valve rather than replacing the
complete valve ? And if so who sells them? The manual describes how to
remove them but gives no further information.

Boiler is about 10 years old - Glow Worm Economy Plus.

I replaced our gas valves pilot solenoid coil a couple of years ago. I
managed to scrounge the part from another similar, but not the same, valve
model.

===============================
Thanks for both replies. It seems that this isn't a common practice
despite the high cost of gas valves.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cicero
writes
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 09:32:37 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Cicero formulated on Saturday :
Is it worth replacing solenoids in a gas valve rather than replacing the
complete valve ? And if so who sells them? The manual describes how to
remove them but gives no further information.

Boiler is about 10 years old - Glow Worm Economy Plus.

I replaced our gas valves pilot solenoid coil a couple of years ago. I
managed to scrounge the part from another similar, but not the same, valve
model.

===============================
Thanks for both replies. It seems that this isn't a common practice
despite the high cost of gas valves.

Well, the problem is that there are lots of solenoids

size, shape bore AND electrical characteristics have to be correct

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:41:22 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Cicero
writes

----------------------------------

Well, the problem is that there are lots of solenoids

size, shape bore AND electrical characteristics have to be correct

===============================
I understand the wide variety of solenoids available but I would have
thought that boiler manufacturers would specify an 'off-the-shelf'
component rather than make their own. It seems common sense to do so and
if that's what they are doing they're not very helpful with information
about sources and installation procedure.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cicero
writes
Thanks for both replies. It seems that this isn't a common practice
despite the high cost of gas valves.

----------------------------------

Well, the problem is that there are lots of solenoids

size, shape bore AND electrical characteristics have to be correct

===============================
I understand the wide variety of solenoids available but I would have
thought that boiler manufacturers would specify an 'off-the-shelf'
component rather than make their own. It seems common sense to do so and
if that's what they are doing they're not very helpful with information
about sources and installation procedure.

Stop right there

You have to stop using words like common sense

they have no meaning in the CH industry

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 21:41:03 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Cicero
writes
Thanks for both replies. It seems that this isn't a common practice
despite the high cost of gas valves.

----------------------------------

Well, the problem is that there are lots of solenoids

size, shape bore AND electrical characteristics have to be correct

===============================
I understand the wide variety of solenoids available but I would have
thought that boiler manufacturers would specify an 'off-the-shelf'
component rather than make their own. It seems common sense to do so and
if that's what they are doing they're not very helpful with information
about sources and installation procedure.

Stop right there

You have to stop using words like common sense

they have no meaning in the CH industry

================================
I think common sense is in very short supply generally today.

Kids can't play conkers because it's so dangerous and a pub near me was
recently 'visited' by health inspectors who banned the sale of cheese
cobs because of the previously unsuspected dangers of eating them without
a certificate.

I bet the cotton wool industry is booming.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cicero writes:
I understand the wide variety of solenoids available but I would have
thought that boiler manufacturers would specify an 'off-the-shelf'
component rather than make their own. It seems common sense to do so and
if that's what they are doing they're not very helpful with information
about sources and installation procedure.

I don't think any boiler manufacturers will make their own.
They tend to be made by controls manufacturers, such as Honeywell.
I had to buy the generic Honeywell gas valve on one occasion when
no one had the Baxi part in stock. Actually it was a lot cheaper,
but I had to transfer some Baxi-specific parts made by someone
else across to the generic part.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:09:33 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

----------------------------

I don't think any boiler manufacturers will make their own. They tend to
be made by controls manufacturers, such as Honeywell. I had to buy the
generic Honeywell gas valve on one occasion when no one had the Baxi part
in stock. Actually it was a lot cheaper, but I had to transfer some
Baxi-specific parts made by someone else across to the generic part.

===============================
I've recovered the original gas valve from the chap who replaced it and
it's got a Honeywell label. This would seem to suggest that Glow Worm do
actually specify standard equipment rather than make their own. The
Honeywell site has the valve at less than half the price I was charged for
a 'badged' version.

I can't complain because I got good service from the engineer and I'll use
him again if I need any gas work done.

Cic.

--
Testing UBUNTU Linux