Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default More problems with noisy pipes...

Any regulars to this board may be becoming well and truly annoyed with
my multiple posts -to them I apologise , and thank them for their help
and patience :-)

I've been battling with my plumbing in a 4 story block for a while
now.
and I've certainly worked the system out. Still trying to get
the council to address it, or even just let me hire a plumber - I am
aware that councils have better things to spend money on, if it would
solve the problem I'd gladly pay him myself. Its just a question of
whether the council will let me...

The rising main goes up into the roof space via some faraway
untroublesome route.
Before it reaches the storage tank it branches off a series of spurs
Each spur provides mains water to flats below

The two problems I've been having are water hammer and loud rushing
noises from my spur, and continuous dripping and on/off filling from
the tank above my bedroom.

I have suggested fitting a Torbeck side entry valve to quieten
filling and reduce hammer. I also assume that each spur must have its
own stopcock for ease of maintenance, so I presume I could reduce the
pressure to the flat.

Finally the current spur has 7 bends in it as it snakes through almost
every room in the two story flat. I have suggested running it straight
up existing ductwork from the kitchen, were it is needed, to the roof.
This should not, I would have thought, be a particularly large or
difficult job. It
eliminates pipe bends and keeps the pipe itself a long way from the
bedroom!

The strange thing is the spur sounds and feels exactly as if it has
water flowing through it much of the time, and yet it can't...it must
just be vibrations...

Does the above sound reasonable? Cheers,

Ben

Noisy pipes -- should I worry? H Home Repair 7 April 17th 06 04:11 AM
Noisy Pipes Ted Home Repair 6 December 20th 05 01:06 AM
Noisy pipes JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 12:06 AM
Noisy pipes toller Home Repair 1 January 11th 05 09:24 PM
Noisy Rattling Pipes Bert Han Home Repair 1 March 5th 04 12:54 PM