Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MK Masterseal SFCU - ok for lighting drop off RCBO'd outside 20A radial

We have a 27ft long dark wall, no road or adjoining lighting.
I would like to fit an external downlight & PIR.

Nearby exists a MK Masterseal socket outlet on a 20A
external radial to an outbuilding, RCBO protected. Above
ground it is HiTuf changing to SWA to enter ground.

I could fit an MK Masterseal SFCU 56410 alongside the
socket, creating a fused spur at 3A, w/double pole switch.

Q: Is that a legitimate usage of the SFCU 56410?

This would avoid running another cable alongside the existing.
I suspect it is considering likely popular for fountains & such.

Struggled in the dark for donkeys years and just stumbled
across the item in the MK catalog p206, guide #46 :-)
--
JSB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 11:29 pm, Owain wrote:
Wihtout looking at the part (because I'm offline) the circuit
configuration sounds acceptable.

Great. I have bought a Masterseal SFCU and it works ok.
Using the black pond rubber cable left over from a TLC order.

With that length of wall, several lower-powered lights and PIRs
might provide better coverage. Most types (but not all) if you
interlink them with 4-core cable (live, switched live, neutral,
earth) in parallel, any PIR sensing movement will trigger all
the lights.

Noted, and thanks.
--
JSB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 1:22 am, Lurch wrote:
On 28 Feb 2007 06:10:48 -0800, mused:

On Feb 27, 11:29 pm, Owain wrote:
Wihtout looking at the part (because I'm offline) the circuit
configuration sounds acceptable.

Great. I have bought a Masterseal SFCU and it works ok.
Using the black pond rubber cable left over from a TLC order.

You're not meant to use flex for fixed wiring.

Even for the SFCU to light drip-loop?

Cable to the Masterseal-SFCU with be HiTuf or SWA
or Singles in black heavy-duty conduit (I have all spare).

Cable from Masterseal-SFCU to Light drip-loop would
be about 9-12-inches black ?TRF07? rubber from TLC.

HiTuf will not fit into a light fitting.
PVC FTE is not well regarded in OSG re UV protection.
Pyro would be horribly expensive as I lack the tools.
FireTuff is not a flex (solid-core), is silicone (high temp),
and most probably UV rated (re stricter fire code needs).

Would it be better to use white 2-core-w/CPC FireTuff?
It's only about £1 a metre so would only be £1-2 at most.

Thanks.
--
JSB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 2:06 pm, Lurch wrote:
Right, I read it as you were going to run the flex a reasonable
distance across\up\down a wall to the light from the socket location.
As you were then.

That's great, thanks
--
JSB.