Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security light with PIR, but also with remote control?

Hi, I've tried to find such a thing online but I've come up blank so
far. I'd like a pretty standard security light with PIR, but with one
extra feature - a remote control which can trigger the PIR and thus
cause the light to illuminate for a minute or so. So as I'm coming
home, I can give the remote a blip and have various areas of the house
light up (yes, it would be nice if multiple units could use the same
remote, but that's perhaps asking for a lot), and allow me to see that
the coast is clear.

Anyone seen anything like that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi, I've tried to find such a thing online but I've come up blank so
far. I'd like a pretty standard security light with PIR, but with one
extra feature - a remote control which can trigger the PIR and thus
cause the light to illuminate for a minute or so. So as I'm coming
home, I can give the remote a blip and have various areas of the house
light up (yes, it would be nice if multiple units could use the same
remote, but that's perhaps asking for a lot), and allow me to see that
the coast is clear.

Anyone seen anything like that?

Byron make remote control sockets - I have 3 connected to table lamps in the
lounge, a small remote control allows me to turn them on/off - works by
radio I believe.
http://ccgi.byrons.force9.co.uk/prod...d1=3&catid2=14

If you plugged a PIR light into one of these it should work?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:00:03 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi, I've tried to find such a thing online but I've come up blank so
far. I'd like a pretty standard security light with PIR, but with one
extra feature - a remote control which can trigger the PIR and thus
cause the light to illuminate for a minute or so. So as I'm coming
home, I can give the remote a blip and have various areas of the house
light up (yes, it would be nice if multiple units could use the same
remote, but that's perhaps asking for a lot), and allow me to see that
the coast is clear.

Anyone seen anything like that?

Byron make remote control sockets - I have 3 connected to table lamps in the
lounge, a small remote control allows me to turn them on/off - works by
radio I believe.
http://ccgi.byrons.force9.co.uk/prod...d1=3&catid2=14

If you plugged a PIR light into one of these it should work?

Hmm.. cheers for your efforts, but I don't see how that will get the
right effect. It would simply either completely disable the security
light (by removing power to it), or re-enable it (by returning the
power to it) - but not actually activate it, which is what I want.
Unless of course there are security lights that come on when they are
first given power, but even that seems less than ideal.

Thanks though, if nothing else at least I'm not going mad being unable
to find out - I was thinking I might get a deluge of people pointing
out the obvious and where I should have looked first!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Chilada wrote:

Hmm.. cheers for your efforts, but I don't see how that will get the
right effect. It would simply either completely disable the security
light (by removing power to it), or re-enable it (by returning the
power to it) - but not actually activate it, which is what I want.
Unless of course there are security lights that come on when they are
first given power, but even that seems less than ideal.

Nothing to stop you from having a PIR light AND a light connected to a
remote? Maybe that would work for you?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ed Chilada wrote:

Hmm.. cheers for your efforts, but I don't see how that will get the
right effect. It would simply either completely disable the security
light (by removing power to it), or re-enable it (by returning the
power to it) - but not actually activate it, which is what I want.
Unless of course there are security lights that come on when they are
first given power, but even that seems less than ideal.

Nothing to stop you from having a PIR light AND a light connected to a
remote? Maybe that would work for you?

I thought that all PIR lights came on when power was initially
introduced. If I switch off my consumer unit during the day the lights
come on when power is restored, in fact overiding the PIR and the
daylight sensor.

PJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ed Chilada wrote:

Hmm.. cheers for your efforts, but I don't see how that will get the
right effect. It would simply either completely disable the security
light (by removing power to it), or re-enable it (by returning the
power to it) - but not actually activate it, which is what I want.
Unless of course there are security lights that come on when they are
first given power, but even that seems less than ideal.

Nothing to stop you from having a PIR light AND a light connected to a
remote? Maybe that would work for you?

There's no reason why it couldn't be the *same* light.

I have a PIR light which also has a manual switch wired (by me) in parallel
with the PIR so that I can switch it on even when the conditions for the PIR
to operate aren't met. If you have a wire from a remote control socket which
goes straight to the light - connecting on the lamp side of the PIR switch -
would that not achieve the desired effect?

Only thing is, with the remote sockets being inside the house, I don't don't
how far away you could be for the remote controls still to operate. They
certainly work through floors and ceilings (I have an outside light
connected to an upstairs socket, which I can switch from the lounge below)
but I've not tried them through brick walls.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 22:53, Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi, I've tried to find such a thing online but I've come up blank so
far. I'd like a pretty standard security light with PIR, but with one
extra feature - a remote control which can trigger the PIR and thus
cause the light to illuminate for a minute or so. So as I'm coming
home, I can give the remote a blip and have various areas of the house
light up (yes, it would be nice if multiple units could use the same
remote, but that's perhaps asking for a lot), and allow me to see that
the coast is clear.

Anyone seen anything like that?

Should be able to get X-10 modules to do something:

http://www.kevinboone.com/x10.html

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Chilada wrote:
Hi, I've tried to find such a thing online but I've come up blank so
far. I'd like a pretty standard security light with PIR, but with one
extra feature - a remote control which can trigger the PIR and thus
cause the light to illuminate for a minute or so. So as I'm coming
home, I can give the remote a blip and have various areas of the house
light up (yes, it would be nice if multiple units could use the same
remote, but that's perhaps asking for a lot), and allow me to see that
the coast is clear.

Anyone seen anything like that?

Yup...

Say you had a light like:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rns/index.html

These can switch based on the PIR, but they can also be manually
switched on via a conventional switch (the same connection can also be
used to switch additional slave lights)

If you now replace the manual switch with a remote one such as the one
channel receiver:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...tch/index.html

You could use the key fob to turn the light on manually when you want,
and when remotely turned off it will revert to PIR operation.

Failing that you can get standalone PIRs in the same range that
incorporate the remote functionality:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMESD1.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Wiring Fan/Light with Remote Control Jim Wheeler Home Repair 2 July 12th 06 06:07 PM
Installing A Pir Security Light. Nico_2t UK diy 0 October 26th 05 10:48 PM
Remote Control Rechargable Flourcent Light Rizgar Electronics Repair 2 November 24th 04 08:16 PM
Security light with PIR? anon UK diy 5 August 22nd 04 11:44 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM