Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do you use an expensive cordless drill and/or self tightening chuck

I bought a cordless drill from Argos for £35. The drill is fairly good
- has two 18v 1.5ah batteries which is up there with drills upto £100
or more, 1 hour charger which is a quality unit and two speed gearbox,
variable speed and an electric brake are all good.

It seems good for most drilling jobs though obviously drilling 10mm
steel holes flattens the battery quick, also was a bit useless at
hammer drilling through concrete (have not tried brick yet - I dont
think it would be that good)

The problem is that it is hard to tighten the chuck enough so drill
bits dont slip - i was thinking about getting another keyless chuck.
Screwfix sell two, one for £10 which looks a similar quality to the
one I have now and a £30 metal Makita one which is 'self tightening'
and only has one ring to tighten. (normally you hold one and twist the
other)

I therefore guess the one outer ring is tightened a bit against the
resistance of the motor and when drilling it tightens up properly on
the bit.

Has anyone got experience of this type of chuck - how good is it? Also
how quick is it to fully open and fully close the chuck to grip small
and large drill bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

On Feb 20, 11:47 am, "405 TD Estate" wrote:
[...]

I hate keyless chucks. Trying a drill a 6mm hole in masonary with my
mains hammer drill is impossible for the same reason.
Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
oups.com...
I therefore guess the one outer ring is tightened a bit against the
resistance of the motor and when drilling it tightens up properly on
the bit.

Has anyone got experience of this type of chuck - how good is it? Also
how quick is it to fully open and fully close the chuck to grip small
and large drill bits.

************

When my chuck recently "chucked it" I took my drill to the local Bosch
service centre for a replacement.
I enquired about a keyless chuck at the time and was told that most drills
they sell to professionals with keyless chucks were converted to keyed
chucks by request of their new owners due to slippage.

However I bought an 18V "Direct Power" keyless drill from Argos for £12 in a
recent sale and it hasn't slipped once. This could be down to me mostly
using decent drill bits (I think they are Makita) that have a hexagonal
shaft rather than round so it is impossible to slip while in the chuck

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kev wrote:
I hate keyless chucks. Trying a drill a 6mm hole in masonary with my
mains hammer drill is impossible for the same reason.
Kevin

I've got a Dewalt, and it's great. If it slips, it's because I haven't
done it up properly.

Ben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
I bought a cordless drill from Argos for £35. The drill is fairly good

snip
I therefore guess the one outer ring is tightened a bit against the
resistance of the motor and when drilling it tightens up properly on
the bit.

Has anyone got experience of this type of chuck - how good is it? Also
how quick is it to fully open and fully close the chuck to grip small
and large drill bits.

My Metabo 14v has a single ring keyless. It's a good chuck, but I will
replace it with a keyed chuck eventually. It doesn't slip in use, but
sometimes when I'm carrying it between jobs, the bit just drops out!

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kev wrote:

I hate keyless chucks.

Cheap ones are crap. Decent quality ones grip as well as, if not better
than, keyed chucks.

Trying a drill a 6mm hole in masonary with my
mains hammer drill is impossible for the same reason.

You mean people still use non SDS drills for masonry? Do you use a hand
drill for drilling wood?

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Metabo 14v has a single ring keyless. It's a good chuck, but I will
replace it with a keyed chuck eventually. It doesn't slip in use, but
sometimes when I'm carrying it between jobs, the bit just drops out!

R.

How hard do you have to turn the ring to tighten it?

Does the drill 'lock' the chuck shaft, or if you tighten the chuck can
you turn the motor?

How many turns are needed between fully open and fully closed ?
Probably a guess something like 10 turns is normal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Feb 2007 03:47:36 -0800, "405 TD Estate"
wrote:

The problem is that it is hard to tighten the chuck enough so drill
bits dont slip -

Hi,

What size/type bits slip?

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:

The problem is that it is hard to tighten the chuck enough so drill
bits dont slip - i was thinking about getting another keyless chuck.
Screwfix sell two, one for £10 which looks a similar quality to the
one I have now and a £30 metal Makita one which is 'self tightening'
and only has one ring to tighten. (normally you hold one and twist the
other)

I therefore guess the one outer ring is tightened a bit against the
resistance of the motor and when drilling it tightens up properly on
the bit.

The chucks with only one ring such as the Makita usually depend on the
drill having an automatic shaft brake (as Makita's typically do). Hence
you can apply a torque to the chuck and it won't rotate the drill
shaft/gearbox/motor assembly at all. Without this capability the single
ring chuck would be almost unusable.

Has anyone got experience of this type of chuck - how good is it? Also
how quick is it to fully open and fully close the chuck to grip small
and large drill bits.

Grip on the Rhom chuck on my Makita 18V combi is substantial - I have
never had it slip. There are quite a number of turns end to end (its a
13mm capacity chuck). Like many I guess I tend to hold the chuck still
and use the drill motor to drive it to about the right position before
finally tightening the last bit by hand.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grunff
writes
Kev wrote:

I hate keyless chucks.

Cheap ones are crap. Decent quality ones grip as well as, if not better
than, keyed chucks.

Likewise drill bits. I suspect the shanks of cheap bits are left hard
such that the chuck can't *grip*.

Masonry bits will slip when used in hammer mode if they are not
*bottomed* in the chuck.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have a Dewalt one-handed chuck, it's as solid as a rock and a really
useful feature when you're up a ladder. Not sure how useful a cheap
one would be. Haven't you got a 'real' power tool shop that can dem
them for you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What size/type bits slip?

All of them can I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Haven't you got a 'real' power tool shop that can dem
them for you?- Hide quoted text -

Not that I know of! - I'm in Coventry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:

The problem is that it is hard to tighten the chuck enough so drill
bits dont slip - i was thinking about getting another keyless chuck.

I reckon its a generic problem with keyless chucks. My Wickes jobby has a
Rohm chuck - quality name - which slips sometimes with drill bits, never
with hex driver bit holders.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman