Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default please refer to old post have i bought wrong switches

can anyone attempt to answer last bit of post

im still struggling with this andy i have the double operating as i
want i.e left hand switch switches wall lights on and off and right
hand main lights on and off however the main switch wont switch
anything unless i switch the main lights off on the double switch and
then the single switch lets me turn the wall light on and off all
right except for the last bit which requires main switch to off/on the
main light not the wall light. ps is it safe to leave like this
overnight in your opinion?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil wrote:

can anyone attempt to answer last bit of post

im still struggling with this andy i have the double operating as i
want i.e left hand switch switches wall lights on and off and right
hand main lights on and off however the main switch wont switch
anything unless i switch the main lights off on the double switch and
then the single switch lets me turn the wall light on and off all
right except for the last bit which requires main switch to off/on the
main light not the wall light. ps is it safe to leave like this
overnight in your opinion?

It will be safe enough... (if something were drastically wrong you may
have blown a fuse, but that would be about it)

One thing to check is on the double gang switch. Make sure the COM L1
and L2 all belong to the same logical switch. (it is usually obvious on
2 gang switches).

Next most likely mistake would be mixing up the wires for the wall
lights with the ceiling light.

If it is still not working, I would get a multimeter out, turn the power
off, and take off both switches and start a few simple tests. First
check the switches work properly (with meter set to measure resistance
you should be able to see each switch toggle the COM connection to the
L1 and L2 connections alternately.

Then check the three core and earth cable really does connect both
switch positions together (you can join a pair of the wires in it at one
end and measure resistance between them at the other.

My guess is that when you take off the switches and refit them you will
find a wire in the wrong place.

--
Cheers,

John.