Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler in a bedroom

I have a friend who is having their boiler replaced and it was installed in
a bedroom in 1985. Was this legal even then? because it looks as if it wasnt
a room-sealed type. He is having it replaced with a new Combi room-sealed
type and the guy wants to install it in the same bedroom. Just seems very
weird to me because its gonna keep people awake at night. How common
nowadays is it for a boiler to be installed in a bedroom?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason Hallway wrote:
I have a friend who is having their boiler replaced and it was installed in
a bedroom in 1985. Was this legal even then? because it looks as if it wasnt
a room-sealed type. He is having it replaced with a new Combi room-sealed
type and the guy wants to install it in the same bedroom. Just seems very
weird to me because its gonna keep people awake at night. How common
nowadays is it for a boiler to be installed in a bedroom?

Perfectly legal; I had one installed about two years ago in a house I
rent out. Mine's in an alcove inside a large fitted wardrobe and I've
never had any complaints about noise.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Jason Hallway wrote:
I have a friend who is having their boiler replaced and it was
installed in
a bedroom in 1985. Was this legal even then? because it looks as if it
wasnt
a room-sealed type. He is having it replaced with a new Combi room-sealed
type and the guy wants to install it in the same bedroom. Just seems very
weird to me because its gonna keep people awake at night. How common
nowadays is it for a boiler to be installed in a bedroom?

Perfectly legal; I had one installed about two years ago in a house I
rent out. Mine's in an alcove inside a large fitted wardrobe and I've
never had any complaints about noise.

PS: I was commenting on the general current legality (mine was fitted by
a CORGI and seen by Building Control); not the issue of a
non-room-sealed boiler (don't know about that).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:46:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Lobster wrote:
Jason Hallway wrote:
I have a friend who is having their boiler replaced and it was
installed in
a bedroom in 1985. Was this legal even then? because it looks as if it
wasnt
a room-sealed type. He is having it replaced with a new Combi room-sealed
type and the guy wants to install it in the same bedroom. Just seems very
weird to me because its gonna keep people awake at night. How common
nowadays is it for a boiler to be installed in a bedroom?

Perfectly legal; I had one installed about two years ago in a house I
rent out. Mine's in an alcove inside a large fitted wardrobe and I've
never had any complaints about noise.

PS: I was commenting on the general current legality (mine was fitted by
a CORGI and seen by Building Control); not the issue of a
non-room-sealed boiler (don't know about that).

AFAIK it is not permitted to install an open flued
appliance exceeding 14kW in a room used as a bedroom.

Of course there is no problem with a room sealed appliance.

As for the noise issue it depends on the boiler some can be almost silent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Jason Hallway wrote:
I have a friend who is having their boiler replaced and it was installed in
a bedroom in 1985. Was this legal even then? because it looks as if it wasnt
a room-sealed type. He is having it replaced with a new Combi room-sealed
type and the guy wants to install it in the same bedroom. Just seems very
weird to me because its gonna keep people awake at night. How common
nowadays is it for a boiler to be installed in a bedroom?

Mine is in the wardrobe i n a bedroom. So was the old non-sealed one
installed in '84. At the time it was permitted provided there was a
fresh air vent in the wall.

Noise is not really a problem: a) it is not as noisy as the traffic etc
outside; b) it is usually switched off if I have gone to bed.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc wrote:
Noise is not really a problem: a) it is not as noisy as the traffic etc
outside; b) it is usually switched off if I have gone to bed.

But presumably comes on before you get up in the morning?

--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:32:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
mused:

In article ,
djc wrote:
Noise is not really a problem: a) it is not as noisy as the traffic etc
outside; b) it is usually switched off if I have gone to bed.

But presumably comes on before you get up in the morning?

So does the alarm clock.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

But presumably comes on before you get up in the morning?

Fnarr fnarr.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
Noise is not really a problem: a) it is not as noisy as the traffic etc
outside; b) it is usually switched off if I have gone to bed.

But presumably comes on before you get up in the morning?

So does the alarm clock.

You must have a very powerful boiler if you'd have the two coincide. I
take it you've followed the dribble twin everything route? ;-)

--
*Not all men are annoying. Some are dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

But presumably comes on before you get up in the morning?

Fnarr fnarr.

And I thought you a man of culture. ;-)

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *