Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT What excercise machine

I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Homer2911 wrote:
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

If I had to pick one single machine, it would be an elliptical trainer -
they are far better than treadmills, cycles and rowers in terms of
providing a good cardio workout and exercising all of the main muscle
groups (we've owned all of these at various times).

Unfortunately because of their complexity the low-end ones are really
quite rubbish, and not worth having. As such, you will need to spend a
minimum of £400 for a good one - take a look he

http://www.totallyfitness.co.uk/Card...dex.htm?&ord=1

The Tunturi range is a good starting point.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Homer2911 writes
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Shack up with some loose morale'd young woman;--).....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Homer2911 writes
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

There isn't a link between cholesterol & heart disease anyway, so I wouldn't
worry about that. They tend to panic about blood pressure - what is yours?

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Start a handyman business at age 55 :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Homer2911 writes
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

There isn't a link between cholesterol & heart disease anyway, so I
wouldn't worry about that. They tend to panic about blood pressure - what
is yours?

Hmm! I wouldn't have you as my doctor.

Sylvain.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Start a handyman business at age 55 :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Homer2911 wrote:
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Get a dog or borrow a neighbour's one and take it for a brisk walk at
least three times a day. Far more fun than using some machine.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Erm! your first port of call would be your Doctor for advice on what
apperatus for exercise.

ps there's no substitute for outside activity as the air you breath would a
lot healthier than inside excercise.

Although I have to laugh at these joggers nowadays,jogging through miday or
thereabouts...jogging late at night or very very early morning is a lot
better because there is less pollution in the air at that time ie traffic
congestion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb 2007 02:24:28 -0800, "Homer2911" wrote:

|!I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
|!the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.
|!
|!I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
|!Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.
|!
|!Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
|!devices?

90% of exercise bikes get used for a month and then
Walking is a good way of getting fit. Find somewhere local where *you*
*enjoy* walking and do your half hour per day there. Increase your pace
when you can, and you may end up jogging.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Swimming 3 times a week,uses every muscle in the body practically...even the
ear muscles. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb 2007 02:24:28 -0800, "Homer2911" wrote:

I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

I agree with the walking. 3 x 20 - 30 minutes each week definitely made me lose
weight and feel healthier. I have to say I found it a bit boring though and have
decided to try an mp3 player hoping it might prove an encouragement.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
I agree with the walking. 3 x 20 - 30 minutes each week definitely made
me lose weight and feel healthier.

The amount of calories involved in that amount of exercise is tiny in the
scheme of things. But it could be useful if you walk *instead* of
eating. ;-)

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:17:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
I agree with the walking. 3 x 20 - 30 minutes each week definitely made
me lose weight and feel healthier.

The amount of calories involved in that amount of exercise is tiny in the
scheme of things. But it could be useful if you walk *instead* of
eating. ;-)

True. I tackled both sides of the equation which are important.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Proper bike. The view's a hell of a lot more interesting than on an exercise
bike.

Walking works too - provided you're not ambling, and you cover a fair
distance.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Homer2911 wrote:
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.
Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

As others have stated walking is great especially if you have somewhere
nice to walk rather than around a city centre.

You can also increase pace and distance as your ability increases.

A dog is fantastic they need to for a walk a minimum of once a day
though twice a day is better. They also need to go 7 days a week 52
weeks a year. an older dog from the dogs home?

If a dog is out of the question, I would stay away from exercise bikes
they just don't work enough muscle groups.

Rower, eliptical or treadmill make no difference, the best one is the
one you will actually use on a regular basis.

If your budget is £300 or less I would advise against any of the above
unless you can get a good quality one 2nd hand.

My preference is a rower it is better than an eliptical trainer for
calories burnt and uses more of the bigger muscle groups like back &
legs through full range of motion.

My preferred rower of choice is the.... WaterRower it is completely
self regulating and can be used by anyone from toddler through top level
athlete and back to elderly without any need to adjust resistance.

Having said that, any indoor exercise equipment is mind-numingly boring
so something to occupy your mind like watching the lights on the
treadmill or trying to maintain a specific heart rate on an eliptical or
trying to better yesterdays time/speed/distance or whatever on a rower
all help.

making it part of your routine like getting dressed is the only way any
form of exercise will have any benefit. Token attempts to get fit will
always fail.
Just buying an bit of kit doesn't get you fit, the dedication and
intention to better your life for the remainder of your years is where
the secret leis.

:¬)

CHeers
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Gym Equipment,Fitness Equipment,Supplements
http://www.water-rower.co.uk - Uk's leading WaterRower retailer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
A dog is fantastic they need to for a walk a minimum of once a day
though twice a day is better. They also need to go 7 days a week 52
weeks a year. an older dog from the dogs home?

You'll almost certainly find a neighbour who has a dog that they'd be glad
to have walked. Plenty of 'working' dogs - like collies - can't have too
much exercise.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Rower, eliptical or treadmill make no difference, the best one is the
one you will actually use on a regular basis.

Whoa - yes, there is there's a fundamental difference between a
treadmill and the other two, in that (if you use it to run on) the
treadmill is an impact-inducing exercise. Bit surprised to note that as
a professional 'gymrat' you don't make the distinction? Anyone even
slightly prone to joint problems like arthritis would be well advised to
choose one of the others over a treadmill, if they are intent in buying
a machine. Many medics discount running as a preferred form of exercise
anyway, on the grounds that ultimately it will cause joint problems even
if you aren't already affected; and they'll point you at something like
swimming instead.

Having said that, any indoor exercise equipment is mind-numingly boring
so something to occupy your mind like watching the lights on the
treadmill or trying to maintain a specific heart rate on an eliptical or
trying to better yesterdays time/speed/distance or whatever on a rower
all help.

When I used to be a member of a gym the only way I could use those
machines was to watch TV at the same time. (Gave up the membership when
I worked out how much it was costing me per attendance, owing to the
number of times I ever went there... ouch).

Apparently there are machines which have built-in Playstations or
similar, with games which are powered by the user (eg you pedal faster
to catch the baddies) which sound quite good!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JP JP is offline

"Lobster" wrote in message
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Just get a Nintendo Wii

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 61 and pretty healthy, but with blood pressure and cholesterol on
the highish side of normal - I want to avoid medication.

I'm no expert, but the _first_ requirement is a proper diet. See your
doctor, and ask to see a dietician.
Having done that, you can then address your wish to exercise.

I need to excercise - had an excercise bike but didn't like using it.

Thinking of trying a treadmill maybe.

Can't you walk? Try walking at a slightly faster pace.

Any suggestions for cardio-vascular stuff? - powered/unpowered? Other
devices?

Not really.

Sylvain.