Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air compressor tripping RCD

Hi,

I have an air compressor which I want to keep outside due to the noise.
I put it on an extension lead and plugged it into a inline RCD plug, but it
trips as soon as it is switched on.
So is there something wrong with the compressor, or are RCD plugs not
designed for this sort of thing? It appears to work perfectly well when
plugged directly into the socket.

Any input appreciated.
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Optiglaze" wrote in message
Hi,

I have an air compressor which I want to keep outside due to the noise.
I put it on an extension lead and plugged it into a inline RCD plug, but
it trips as soon as it is switched on.
So is there something wrong with the compressor, or are RCD plugs not
designed for this sort of thing? It appears to work perfectly well when
plugged directly into the socket.

RCDs trip when they sense an imbalance between the currents in the live and
neutral conductor. An imbalance of 30mA is the normal limit.

If there is an imbalance, the current is going somewhere it shouldn't-
usually to earth. Check for a "low" resistance between the live and earth
(low here means less than about 10kohm) or neutral and earth (a lower
resistance on the latter may not cause a trip due to the lower potential
between neutral and earth in normal use).
obviously you check this with compressor unplugged!

Brian

RCD tripping - why?! TC UK diy 8 January 6th 07 12:45 PM
RCD Tripping Andy S UK diy 3 July 11th 06 11:21 PM
RCD Tripping Nick UK diy 20 January 8th 06 11:46 PM
RCD Tripping DrJones UK diy 5 March 10th 05 11:36 PM
Air compressor tripping 20 amp breaker Tom Home Repair 23 October 31st 04 11:15 PM