Paul Bowden

Default Hayter Hawk Mower

This posting will probably reveal the depths of my incompetence, but
I'd be grateful for any help. I have recently cleaned and replaced
the oil filter in the Hayter Hawk mower I bought (Feb 2003) for my
elderly mother. I washed it in detergent, rinsed and dried it
thoroughly and then soaked it in engine oiol - all as per the
instruction booklet - before replacing it. The wretched mower now
won't start at all. To be honest, the filter was probably too sodden
with oil when I first refitted it. However, I wrung it out very very
hard and the thing still won't work. The mower is still under
guarantee, but the dealer is some way away and I'd rather sort it out
more simply and, above all, more quickly, if anyone has any helpful
advice.

Thanks and best wishes

Paul Bowden
Toby

Default Hayter Hawk Mower-THE CORRECT CORRECTION!

Paul Bowden wrote:
This is getting stupid: apologies! I MEANT AIR FILTER (of course)

After running my grandfathers old ATCO for many years with home made air
filters scavenged from the car after servicing, I would have thought that
oil was the last thing you would want anywhere near an air filter. It
strikes me that it would immediately clog with dust if air could get through
it at all.
Try starting the mower with the air filter removed, if successful, then get
a clean replacement.

Toby.

Mike Ring

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

My car has an air filter made of foam saturated with oil ...

Yup, quite common, but to get back to the point....

I should leave the filter off while getting it back to life.

Remove the plug, make sure it's dry, (it prolly is by now anyhow) and clean
ish, and no foreign bits in it, the gap is about right, 20 odd thou, better
a bit narrow than wide if it's hard to start.

make sure petrol is getting to the cylinder, caburettor bowl full, - this
is easier with the filter off.

make sure the spark plug sparks when the body is in contact with the
cylinder.

If you've got compression as well, it will go.

mike r