Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unusual size waste pipe

I measured the waste pipe under my downstairs closet sink as I want to
change the trap to one with a built in washing machine inlet. There is
not enough room between the water line and the top of the trap to add
a washing machine inlet with clamp.

The pipe is either 34 or 35 mm. I have never heard of waste pipe this
size, but went to my local Wickes and then Focus and they don't stock
pipe this size. They only sell 32mm and 40mm.

The other end of the waste pipe goes into the soil pipe at the rear of
the toilet. It looks to be a tight fit so how would I get a 32mm or
40mm pipe into that hole.

What can I do now?

Any advice gratefully received

Steve..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dog-man wrote:

The pipe is either 34 or 35 mm. I have never heard of waste pipe this
size

Marley solvent weld pipe is 43mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Marley solvent weld pipe is 43mm

Gahh! I must be getting dyslexic in my old age, I read your original 34
as 43, I dunno what the solvent weld size of 1 1/4" is but it could be
that, only the larger B&Q stock it round here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:55:39 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Marley solvent weld pipe is 43mm

Gahh! I must be getting dyslexic in my old age, I read your original 34
as 43, I dunno what the solvent weld size of 1 1/4" is but it could be
that, only the larger B&Q stock it round here.

IIRC the OD of 1.25" solvent weld is about 35mm.
IIRC the OD of 1.25" push fit is about 34mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 6:32 pm, "dog-man" wrote:
I measured the waste pipe under my downstairs closet sink as I want to
change the trap to one with a built in washing machine inlet. There is
not enough room between the water line and the top of the trap to add
a washing machine inlet with clamp.

The pipe is either 34 or 35 mm. I have never heard of waste pipe this
size, but went to my local Wickes and then Focus and they don't stock
pipe this size. They only sell 32mm and 40mm.

The other end of the waste pipe goes into the soil pipe at the rear of
the toilet. It looks to be a tight fit so how would I get a 32mm or
40mm pipe into that hole.

What can I do now?

Any advice gratefully received

Steve..

Sounds like 1 1/4 solvent waste pipe - thats usually 36mm, although
it's often listed as 32mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 21:24, "
wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:32 pm, "dog-man" wrote:

I measured the waste pipe under my downstairs closet sink as I want to
change the trap to one with a built in washing machine inlet. There is
not enough room between the water line and the top of the trap to add
a washing machine inlet with clamp.

The pipe is either 34 or 35 mm. I have never heard of waste pipe this
size, but went to my local Wickes and then Focus and they don't stock
pipe this size. They only sell 32mm and 40mm.

The other end of the waste pipe goes into the soil pipe at the rear of
the toilet. It looks to be a tight fit so how would I get a 32mm or
40mm pipe into that hole.

What can I do now?

Any advice gratefully received

Steve..

Sounds like 1 1/4 solvent waste pipe - thats usually 36mm, although
it's often listed as 32mm.

A- Hide quoted text -

It is solvent weld pipe.

Steve...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dog-man" wrote

The pipe is either 34 or 35 mm. I have never heard of waste pipe this
size, but went to my local Wickes and then Focus and they don't stock
pipe this size. They only sell 32mm and 40mm.

Steve

How old is your house?
I have a 1970s property and came across a similar issue.
Can't remember the exact dimensions, but it was certainly a mis-match
between old and new 1-1/2" waste pipe.

Contacted Marley on this one and they claimed that, around 30 years ago,
waste pipe and push fit fittings were made to a slightly different size.
Their recommendation was to buy one of their couplers which would fit both.
This is not a push fit item, but the sort with tapered rubber seals and
threaded retaining rings. This allowed me to replace all of my bath and
basin waste pipe and connect to the older pipe close to the point where it
enters the soil stack.
You may be able to use this route i.e. replace more stuff and cut back the
older pipe to an accessible point IYSWIM.
Try talking to Marley technical, they were very helpful.

HTH

Phil