Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Timber cutting angles

I have a triangular cross section roof at 45 degrees.

I have 90 degree turn in this roof over the front aspect of the house.

Internally, I therefore have timbers that are cut 45 degrees on one
plane an then 45 degrees on another plane.

Does anyone have any idea how to work out the angles so that I can cut
timer or insulation board to fit the voids.

WIthout trial an error I am never going to get the insulation
fitted ...

I am sure there must be some rules of thumb that govern how to cut
insulation and timbers to fit this setup.

If there are any roofers out there reading this they will know just
what I mean ... I am sure :-)

cheers all,

jON

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 7:59 pm, "sadsjon" wrote:
I have a triangular cross section roof at 45 degrees.

I have 90 degree turn in this roof over the front aspect of the house.

Internally, I therefore have timbers that are cut 45 degrees on one
plane an then 45 degrees on another plane.

Does anyone have any idea how to work out the angles so that I can cut
timer or insulation board to fit the voids.

WIthout trial an error I am never going to get the insulation
fitted ...

I am sure there must be some rules of thumb that govern how to cut
insulation and timbers to fit this setup.

If there are any roofers out there reading this they will know just
what I mean ... I am sure :-)

I'm not sure they will.

If you could just post a couple of pics or a sketch it might help.

If you mean you don't know how to cut jack rafters that is fairly
straight forwards. But I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Anything on here suit your needs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, its difficult to explain ... the reason I mention roofers is
because, in my experience, good roofers are taught all about angles
and how to cut timbers to make a roof.

At the join between the two roof's that are at 90 degrees to each
other the gulley sits on a single timber that must be cut at 40
degrees on both planes to accomodate where the two roof's meet.

If I have a 4 x 2 and I cut a 45 degree mitre on the end, I then need
to cut another 45 degree mitre ... so that this timber can sit flush
against the wall plate.

where a straght rafter meets the wall plate timber the 4x2 is cut with
a 45 degree mitre to sit flush against the wall plate timber ....
where two roof's meet they must be cut at 45 degree on two planes ...

I can't sketch it because I am just as much rubbish at drawing as
cutting timber :-)

Maybe I could take a picture ???

jON

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I assume you mean a compound mitre,I also think you mean a carpenter not a
roofer,they lay tiles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cutting timber to build this stuff, and getting it right first time, is what
sorts the master carpenters from the rest. But for insulation board (I
assume you mean celotex), just cut oversize and trim to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sadsjon wrote:

I have a triangular cross section roof at 45 degrees.
I have 90 degree turn in this roof over the front aspect of the house.

Something like my picture here? :

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/angles.jpg

Internally, I therefore have timbers that are cut 45 degrees on one
plane an then 45 degrees on another plane.

You mean where they join the gully beam running down from the apex of
the roof (at G) to the wall plate?

Does anyone have any idea how to work out the angles so that I can cut
timer or insulation board to fit the voids.

In this case the ends of the beam would need to be cut with a compound
mitre matching the slope angles a and b. Since in this case they are
both 45 deg, your mitre angle will be 45/45

WIthout trial an error I am never going to get the insulation
fitted ...

You just need to allow for the thickness of the insluation when
measuring, otherwise you bits will come out too short.

I am sure there must be some rules of thumb that govern how to cut
insulation and timbers to fit this setup.

You just need to keep the orientation of the panel or beam in mind and
apply the same angles as used on the roof to it, in the same plane.

--
Cheers,

John.

angles: trig help Joe Woodworking 10 January 1st 07 03:10 PM
Cutting rafter angles and wall plate bird's mouth Mick6 UK diy 3 December 31st 06 06:04 PM
Cutting, gluing oblique angles John Moorhead Woodworking 3 February 11th 05 03:48 PM
Cutting Angles in Plywood Sheets David Patnaude Woodworking 11 February 2nd 05 04:45 PM
Calculating angles . . . Bubba Woodworking 11 June 16th 04 12:43 PM