Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler died permanently. What temporary emergency heat can I get? Oil filled rads?

The whole heating system has died. It was oil fired, it's suffered multiple
troubles this winter, there's no spares available.
The whole thing's getting replaced later this year.

So, how to get the rooms and house warm meantime?

I think my electricity is something around 11p/unit, 5.5p overnight.

I've got one storage heater on white meter(?) economy 7.

I was thinking: Get 3 1.5kW oil-filled heaters from Argos at £25 each, put
them on timers in the bedrooms so they come on all night, and also for a
burst in the evening.
For the living room, get a radiant or fan heater because people tend to sit
and watch 30 minutes of telly, then go to their rooms.

For 3 heaters - £75
50p/hour for 4 hours in the day = £2
25p/hour for 6 hours at night = £1.48

for the next 60 days = 3.48*60 = £208. Blimey. That's not good.

For the bathroom...hmmm....

Bother. This is looking rather expensive. Any ideas??

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:

Bother. This is looking rather expensive. Any ideas??

Calor gas heaters? Compare costs he
http://nep.gngateway.org.uk/renewabl...sts-comparison
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corona-Inver.../dp/B0002XOYDY

The local DIY superstore were selling them for 100GBP.

--
Sue

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

"Palindrome" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Always worth trying your local freecycle group.

http://www.freecycle.org/display.php...ited%20Kingdom

Tim

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
AK AK is offline

"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

I this isn't a daft idea why don't you just replace the boiler now?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote in message

For 3 heaters - £75
50p/hour for 4 hours in the day = £2
25p/hour for 6 hours at night = £1.48

Could anyone clarify whether the 1.5KW figure quoted for the heater is a
_maximum_ figure - ie with the output turned up to maximum?

Regds,

--
Peter X-Files fan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jan, 03:03, "Trust No One®" wrote:

Could anyone clarify whether the 1.5KW figure quoted for the heater is
_maximum_ figure - ie with the output turned up to maximum?

Regds,

sure is. Heating electric is a pricey way to go.

If you buy a cheap a/c unit you can run it the other way round so it
pumps heat into the house and runs at the equivalent of 200-300%
efficiency.

NT

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Trust No One® wrote:
"Jonathan" wrote in message
For 3 heaters - £75
50p/hour for 4 hours in the day = £2
25p/hour for 6 hours at night = £1.48

Could anyone clarify whether the 1.5KW figure quoted for the heater is a
_maximum_ figure - ie with the output turned up to maximum?

Regds,

Yup. I have little non oil filled convectors for emergency use, and in
one room that isn't normally heated it ticks away occasionaly coming on
and soon heats it up

They are very cheap..a few quid only. Thermostat on the side/

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Jonathan" writes:

For the bathroom...hmmm....

I like wall mounted downflow fan heaters in bathrooms (even when
there is central heating). You can stand under it and use it as
a hairdrier, or even a whole body drier. If mounted over a mirror,
it will also prevent it misting up, or quickly clear it if it has.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

"Jonathan" wrote:
[...]

Oil filled radiators are slow to heat up. Fan heaters would be the cheapest
to buy and usually have a built-in thermostat, but are not suitable for a
bathroom for obvious reasons, and you would have to use an extension lead.
If you buy separate timers make sure that they are suitable for the power
demands of the heaters, at least 1 to 2 kW. Whatever you buy should be
resalable after you have got the heating fixed.

--
http://www.freeinformationcentre.co....in_the_uk.html

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Make sure they are on thermostats.
The AVERAGE draw of an electric heater in a medium room is probably only
300W or so..

No open fires? Aga? Wood burning stove?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
DCA DCA is offline

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Hire shop calor heaters are not expensive
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
rdd rdd is offline

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

PLEASE TAKE NOTE!

If you decide to go down the gas/oil room heater route PLEASE take note
of the warnings on this site http://www.co-gassafety.co.uk/

Too many people eah year forget about the provision of air to prevent
carnon moxide formation. Air provision means draughts and hence the
mistake that cost lives!!

Also in house heaters non flued, give high lelels of humidity and
possibly condensation within the house; again because there is not
enough ventilaton to remove the excess moisture in the air.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
The whole heating system has died. It was oil fired, it's suffered multiple
troubles this winter, there's no spares available.
The whole thing's getting replaced later this year.

So, how to get the rooms and house warm meantime?

Bother. This is looking rather expensive. Any ideas??

Why not buy a temporary replacement boiler from eBay ? Quite a few on
there probably get one for less than £100.

Then sell it on when you install the new system

--
JohnB