Posted to alt.home.repair

Default baseboard heat & oil boiler temp

2 questions

1 room in my house is colder than rest. the baseboard run is long but
there is a great disparity in the temp the baseboard gets from one end
to the other. anything I can do? already tried bleading

the other is I noticed that the temp on the furnace always says less
than 100 deg. even though the controle box on the furnace (correct
name) says its set between 140 and 220 w a 10deg diff.
the house stays warm and the furnace does go on and off (staying warm)
even when heat is off. is it possible the temp is wrong on the funace?
can I check myself? If it is the controle box can i change that myself?
can it be a thermostat for the controle box?

i guess thats more than 2

thanks jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

1 room in my house is colder than rest. the baseboard run is long but
there is a great disparity in the temp the baseboard gets from one end
to the other. anything I can do? already tried bleading

Assuming the water temperature is correct, it is losing too much heat along
the way. You can balance the rooms by closing the dampers on the baseboard
in other rooms along the way.

the other is I noticed that the temp on the furnace always says less
than 100 deg. even though the controle box on the furnace (correct
name) says its set between 140 and 220 w a 10deg diff.

You don't have a furnace. Furnaces heat air. If you have water (or steam)
and baseboard, you have a boiler.

Baseboard is usually happy at about 140 to 180. You do NOT want to go above
180. Something does not sound right here. I wold not trust the reading of
100 either. Get a meat thermometer and tape it to the pipe and see what it
reads. While not perfect, it will give you some indication if the 100
reading is wrong.

the house stays warm and the furnace does go on and off (staying warm)
even when heat is off. is it possible the temp is wrong on the funace?
can I check myself? If it is the controle box can i change that myself?
can it be a thermostat for the controle box?

It can be a lot of things, such as aquastat, thermostats, limit switches.
Bite the bullet and call a pro. Expect to pay $100 and up depending on what
is needed. Has the boiler been cleaned this year? It should be done about
every 1000 to 1200 gallons of oil And please, stop calling it a furnace.
It is a boiler with a burner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could crank up the aquastat setting, and see if the boiler keeps
the temp close to it. Check with an accurate thermometer- the actual
temperature of the water coming out of the water-jacket, with circ-pump
running.

The water is pumped in a loop through the radiators, and the return, at
the circ pump, shouldn't normally be more than 30 deg cooler than when
it left the boiler. You could have parts of the main loop bypassed, and
you could have blockages, pump problems, whatever. Might make $ & sense
to call a trusted plumber to go over the system, and splain to you its
care & feeding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Id ecpect that the temp is wrong because the pipe is damb hot. about
the furnace/boiler thing - I knew that - brain fart. Yes it has been
cleaned. but that one room half the baseboard gets hot the other half
takes quite a while to get past warm. rest of house fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

that one room half the baseboard gets hot the other half
takes quite a while to get past warm. rest of house fine.

Are they both on the same loop? That sound strange if you have flow. I'd
suspect a circulation problem more than a boiler problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

same loop.

the baseboard is older baseray also cast iron built patially into wall
w a reflective barrier behind.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

The design of a baseboard heater is to release the heat from the hot water
into the room. As the water gets closer to the boiler, it gets colder.

That's doing what it's supposed to do. If you want the baseboard to stay the
same temp the entire length, you'd have to insulate it (wrap it in
fiberglass, and blankets).

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
2 questions

1 room in my house is colder than rest. the baseboard run is long but
there is a great disparity in the temp the baseboard gets from one end
to the other. anything I can do? already tried bleading

Oil-Fired boiler / water-filled baseboard heat. hanson Home Repair 10 April 15th 05 02:16 AM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
heat pump/secondary propane furnace questions JohnW Home Ownership 11 January 28th 05 01:50 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM