Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing toilet outlet

There is a tiny, intermittent leak (I think!) on the outlet of my toilet
- well, that's the only place I can think that the moisture on the
floor's can be coming from: well, that or an invisible crack in the
pan... :-(

Anyway, I've just bought a new multikwik adaptor for it:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ors/d20/sd2887

.... when I fit this, what's the best stuff to use to seal this to the
soil pipe and/or soil pipe: is this a job for Plumber's Mait, or just
good old silicone sealant? Or is it best left 'dry'?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:43:05 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

There is a tiny, intermittent leak (I think!) on the outlet of my toilet
- well, that's the only place I can think that the moisture on the
floor's can be coming from: well, that or an invisible crack in the
pan... :-(

Anyway, I've just bought a new multikwik adaptor for it:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ors/d20/sd2887

... when I fit this, what's the best stuff to use to seal this to the
soil pipe and/or soil pipe: is this a job for Plumber's Mait, or just
good old silicone sealant? Or is it best left 'dry'?

Thanks
David

It's designed to be dry, but I only use that if it is a very tight
fit.

Mait is fairly friendly, or even simple putty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There is a tiny, intermittent leak (I think!) on the outlet of my toilet
- well, that's the only place I can think that the moisture on the
floor's can be coming from: well, that or an invisible crack in the
pan... :-(

Anyway, I've just bought a new multikwik adaptor for it:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ors/d20/sd2887

... when I fit this, what's the best stuff to use to seal this to the
soil pipe and/or soil pipe: is this a job for Plumber's Mait, or just
good old silicone sealant? Or is it best left 'dry'?

Thanks
David

It's designed to be dry, but I only use that if it is a very tight
fit.

Mait is fairly friendly, or even simple putty.

Tis true, but I have had success with copious globs of silicone.

It is axiomatic that a newly installed toilet always leaks.

It leaks around the cistern inlet, because the stupid fiber washers are
flat and the cistern is not.

It leaks around the cistern outlet for similar reasons.

It leaks where the downpipe connects to the cistern, because its made of
crap materials and the washers never fit.

It leaks where the downpipe enters the pan, because the washers are
purely cosmetic, and it leaks around the outlet, because it might as
well as it leaks every where else.

And if its close coupled it will leak there as well.

I just use silicone on every joint and PTFE tape on every thread and
redo as necessary.

I thought it was me till a professional plumber took a kit and threw
away very single bit apart from the flush mechanism, downpipe, cistern
and pan 'its cheaper for me to put in proper parts, than come back 5 times'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It is axiomatic that a newly installed toilet always leaks.

It leaks around the cistern inlet, because the stupid fiber washers are
flat and the cistern is not.

It leaks around the cistern outlet for similar reasons.

It leaks where the downpipe connects to the cistern, because its made of
crap materials and the washers never fit.

It leaks where the downpipe enters the pan, because the washers are
purely cosmetic, and it leaks around the outlet, because it might as
well as it leaks every where else.

And if its close coupled it will leak there as well.

Oh ********, I'll just go and pee in the garden then...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It is axiomatic that a newly installed toilet always leaks.

It leaks around the cistern inlet, because the stupid fiber washers
are flat and the cistern is not.

It leaks around the cistern outlet for similar reasons.

It leaks where the downpipe connects to the cistern, because its made
of crap materials and the washers never fit.

It leaks where the downpipe enters the pan, because the washers are
purely cosmetic, and it leaks around the outlet, because it might as
well as it leaks every where else.

And if its close coupled it will leak there as well.

Oh ********, I'll just go and pee in the garden then...

David

Mostly thats what I do anyway.;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Total drivel snipped
Do not take any of that as correct as it isn't!! If plumbing parts are put
together correctly they do not leak, otherwise a roll of PTFE and a tube of
silicone would be standard with every part and the statement "I just use
silicone on every joint and PTFE tape on every thread and redo as necessary"
and "I thought it was me till a professional plumber took a kit and threw
away very single bit apart from the flush mechanism, downpipe, cistern and
pan 'its cheaper for me to put in proper parts, than come back 5 times"
would be in the Plumbers handbook!!.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Total drivel snipped
Do not take any of that as correct as it isn't!! If plumbing parts are put
together correctly they do not leak, otherwise a roll of PTFE and a tube of
silicone would be standard with every part and the statement "I just use
silicone on every joint and PTFE tape on every thread and redo as necessary"
and "I thought it was me till a professional plumber took a kit and threw
away very single bit apart from the flush mechanism, downpipe, cistern and
pan 'its cheaper for me to put in proper parts, than come back 5 times"
would be in the Plumbers handbook!!.

HTH

John

Oh dear..changed your identity again, Drivel?

How do the doctors keep up with them all?!

"Bandar Log", Drivel, and my real name is Kaa..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
There is a tiny, intermittent leak (I think!) on the outlet of my
toilet - well, that's the only place I can think that the moisture on
the floor's can be coming from: well, that or an invisible crack in
the pan... :-(

Before you attempt any of the stuff below, take a look inside the cistern.
I had an identical problem only a few months ago with a tennant of mine, I
went round there umpteen times before I found the cause of it, by which time
it had got steadily worse...the water was dripping off the soil outlet,
making me think the same as you, but I took the lid off the cistern and
flushed it and it looked OK - I did this everytime I went around but never
did I wait until the water had actually *stopped* entering the cistern -the
fact was that it didn't - there was a tiny drip, drip, drip that wouldn't
stop, no matter how much I adjusted the ballcock fill level, and the way it
was getting out of the cistern and onto the soilpipe below, was through a
perished gasket around the overflow, that is to say, the water level was
never actually reaching the pipe to get outside because the screw fitting /
gasket was below this level.

Anyway, I've just bought a new multikwik adaptor for it:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ors/d20/sd2887

... when I fit this, what's the best stuff to use to seal this to the
soil pipe and/or soil pipe: is this a job for Plumber's Mait, or just
good old silicone sealant? Or is it best left 'dry'?

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote

There is a tiny, intermittent leak (I think!) on the outlet of my toilet
- well, that's the only place I can think that the moisture on the
floor's can be coming from: well, that or an invisible crack in the

If your toilet is in the same room as a bath/shower, don't forget to
check whether or not the drips are due to condensation. A freezing cold
cast-iron soil pipe protruding into the warm, moist bathroom air...

Make sure that the soil pipe is wiped dry and then check it again after
you've had a bath/shower.

snip

--
-blj-