Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [?] Painting or replacing antique-pine cupboard doors.

Hi,

I'm planning to freshen up our kitchen. I'll be replacing the sink and
work-top, and I'm considering painting the antique pine cupboard doors
and drawer fronts because direct replacements are not readily available
since some of them are not standard sizes.

I'd appreciate any comments on the best way to do the painting, and
whether I'll still need to use knotting to seal the knots even though
the doors have been in-situ for more than 15 years and must be well
dried-out. I'm intending using Dulux Cupboard Paint which, the
manufacturer claims, is very robust and well suited for a kitchen
environment. How much preparation should I give the doors before
painting, apart from a good sanding on their flat surfaces as well as
the various grooves in them?

If the door painting idea isn't successful then I guess my Plan B will
have to be the more expensive option of having some new doors and drawer
front custom-made. If I have to go this route, can anyone suggest a
supplier of REASONABLY priced custom-made doors?

Any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

- David

David C.Chapman - )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:
[...]

I had some made to match existing original doors in a house. Cost about
£20 per door from a local joinery firm - main business was windows.
(Coxhoe Timber, near Durham). They were a solid pine frame with centre
panel and pine mouldings. Looked great when painted cream.

Standard door sizes haven't changed much, but different suppliers have
different standards. If you post the list of sizes, someone might know
of a supplier who can do them as standard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:

I'd appreciate any comments on the best way to do the painting, and
whether I'll still need to use knotting to seal the knots even though
the doors have been in-situ for more than 15 years and must be well
dried-out. I'm intending using Dulux Cupboard Paint which, the
manufacturer claims, is very robust and well suited for a kitchen
environment. How much preparation should I give the doors before
painting, apart from a good sanding on their flat surfaces as well as
the various grooves in them?

Well a bit of knotting won't hurt...

I would sand them thoroughly, knot the knots use plastic wood to fill
any gashes and sand again, then a coat of acrylic primer..if that fails
to stick to whatever is there already use a spirit based one, followed
up bu a and and another primer..when the surface is properly un pine
like, a coat of undercoat,a gentle sand and a careful top coat.

If the door painting idea isn't successful

If you do it carefully it will be. In terms of your labour new doors are
cheaper of course.

then I guess my Plan B will
have to be the more expensive option of having some new doors and drawer
front custom-made. If I have to go this route, can anyone suggest a
supplier of REASONABLY priced custom-made doors?

Any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

- David

David C.Chapman - )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well a bit of knotting won't hurt...

I'd shellac the whole door first. It's a good enough primer for the
paint, it's a good sealer for any kitchen grime that's stuck beneath
(including waxes and even silicone polishes) and it will make the whole
business reversible if you ever want go from paint to bare wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to freshen up our kitchen. I'll be replacing the sink and
work-top, and I'm considering painting the antique pine cupboard doors

I'd appreciate any comments on the best way to do the painting, and

If theyre now wood finish not painted, I'd recommend liming them rather
than painting. It looks so much nicer, and isnt hard to do.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If theyre now wood finish not painted, I'd recommend liming them

Liming on softwood? That's going to look pretty awful, IMHO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:
[...]

David becarefull of painting onto varnish or laquer , oil or acyrlics
don't take to well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
wrote:

If theyre now wood finish not painted, I'd recommend liming them

Liming on softwood? That's going to look pretty awful, IMHO.

Far from it. It gives a light wash. Can be done with emulsion, brush
on, wipe off. Makes dark woods light.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many thanks to all those that have posted to offer interesting
suggestions.

- David

David C.Chapman - )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-19 21:22:27 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Dingley wrote:
If theyre now wood finish not painted, I'd recommend liming them

Liming on softwood? That's going to look pretty awful, IMHO.

Not as bad as sticky-back plastic.

Trust me on this.

Owain

You've got pictures of Valerie Singleton and Joan Armatrading on your
bedroom wall, haven't you?

Down, Shep; and everyone wondered what Shep had been doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well a bit of knotting won't hurt...

I'd shellac the whole door first. It's a good enough primer for the
paint, it's a good sealer for any kitchen grime that's stuck beneath
(including waxes and even silicone polishes) and it will make the whole
business reversible if you ever want go from paint to bare wood.

Fair point. Never thought of it that way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd shellac the whole door first. It's a good enough primer for the
paint, it's a good sealer for any kitchen grime that's stuck beneath
(including waxes and even silicone polishes) and it will make the whole
business reversible if you ever want go from paint to bare wood.

The last time I encountered shellac, many years ago, it was when it
was supplied as small flakes a bit like fish-food. It then had to be
dissolved in meths.

Is it still available in that form or does it now come as a ready-
prepared liquid varnish?

Where can I obtain some?

TIA - David

David C.Chapman - )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:
I'd shellac the whole door first. It's a good enough primer for the
paint, it's a good sealer for any kitchen grime that's stuck beneath
(including waxes and even silicone polishes) and it will make the whole
business reversible if you ever want go from paint to bare wood.

The last time I encountered shellac, many years ago, it was when it
was supplied as small flakes a bit like fish-food. It then had to be
dissolved in meths.

Is it still available in that form or does it now come as a ready-
prepared liquid varnish?

Where can I obtain some?

Known as French polish. Any decent wood finish supplier, like

http://www.mylands.co.uk/

and others
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Chapman wrote:

The last time I encountered shellac, many years ago, it was when it
was supplied as small flakes a bit like fish-food. It then had to be
dissolved in meths.

It has been available ready-disssolved since the Victorian era. However
it doesn't store as well in that state, so buy it from somewhere with a
good turnover. Screwfix do a decent one ("button" is a bit lighter
colour). Shellac is a complicated subject. There are lots of varieties,
lots of qualities and a huge number of techniques.

For our initial purposes, you need Screwfix's finest cheapy and a
medium-quality artist's _watercolour_ brush with _synthetic_ (Golden
Taklon) bristles (most of the high-street "bookshops for the
illiterate" chains).Try a 3/4" or 1/2" filbert. Don't clean it
afterwards, just wipe it clean and soften it before use next time with
a splash of meths. You'll need plentry of meths too, best clear rather
than purple and ideally as non-stenched industrial meths, but the stuff
from the camping shop is fine too.

You can wipe it on too, but I wouldn't bother unless you want to learn
french polishing. Even so, you should start with a brush coat for the
first one, to get those internal corners around mouldings.

Screwfix shellac is, like most, still waxy. It works better if you
leave the bottles to stand for a week or two and then pour off the top
2/3rd into a separate bottle and use only that for finishing. The
bottom 1/3rd looks like old instant coffee and has a creamy opaqueness
to it. This is the particularly waxy component. Keep it and use it for
sanding sealer on jobs like this one, on bare timber for rough work, as
a friction polish for lathework, or as knotting under paint. The waxy
shellac doesn't give such a good final finish, but it does sand better.
Your first portion of "dewaxed" shellac also keeps better in liquid
storage.

For an initial coating, use Screwfix's diluted 50:50 with meths. This
gives a better coating and dries more quickly. You'll probably use a
lot of shellac that's extra-diluted, but you need to practice and get
the feel of it. One of the reasons for dissolving your own is simply so
that you can accurately control this dilution.

Every workshop should have some ready-dissolved shellac in it. Handy
stuff for all sorts of purposes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Very many thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive
answer to my posting. Your help is much appreciated.

ATB - David.

David C.Chapman - Chartered Engineer. FIEE. )
CHAPMAN ASSOCIATES is a Consultancy offering practical expertise and
design skills in the fields of counter-surveillance, electronic protection
and security. Visit our Web site at http://www.minda.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its becoming obvious that yours is in the 'Drivel' class. Capable of
reading and repeating parrot fashion, but not actually capable of
logical independent thought.

are you unable to figure out any way to make many tiny indentations in
softwood rapidly?

NT

Cupboard doors [email protected] UK diy 1 September 21st 05 07:58 PM
Cleaning "antique pine" kitchen units. Chris Bacon UK diy 5 July 27th 05 03:54 PM
cupboard doors Tim Lamb UK diy 0 May 7th 05 08:26 PM
Trim for cupboard doors? CathyLee Home Repair 3 October 26th 04 01:53 PM
Spray Painting Cupboard Doors Hey You Woodworking 6 May 5th 04 02:58 PM