CathyLee

Default Trim for cupboard doors?

Hi all,

I have plywood cupboards, which I have sanded, primed/sealed, and would
like to add a shaker style trim, about 3/8" thick and 3" wide, and
paintable.

I asked at the building supply and their only suggestion was to use 1/4"
birch ply good one side.

Do you have another suggestion that I could ask for at the next store I
go to?

Is there a specific placement for the wooden knob I am going to add or
can I stick them anywhere?

--
CathyLee
They neigh I pay

Frank

On 2004-10-24 04:29:08 -0700, "CathyLee" said:

Hi all,

I have plywood cupboards, which I have sanded, primed/sealed, and would
like to add a shaker style trim, about 3/8" thick and 3" wide, and
paintable.

I asked at the building supply and their only suggestion was to use 1/4"
birch ply good one side.

Do you have another suggestion that I could ask for at the next store I
go to?

Is there a specific placement for the wooden knob I am going to add or
can I stick them anywhere?

The birch ply would leave an unacceptable edge for painting, etc. You
need some kind of solid wood.

My recommendation would be to buy some inexpensive pine door casing,
baseboard or moulding at HD. It is a little thicker than you want; 1/2"
vs 3/8", but simple to cut and apply. And it is paintable. If you know
someone with a thickness planer, they can take it down to 3/8" for you.
A good lumberyard will also do it for a fee.

Some hobby stores (Michael's, e.g.) sell strips of basswood 1/4" thick,
3" wide. But this material is very expensive for your purpose.

-Frank

dadiOH

CathyLee wrote:
Hi all,

I have plywood cupboards, which I have sanded, primed/sealed, and
would like to add a shaker style trim, about 3/8" thick and 3"
wide, and paintable.

I asked at the building supply and their only suggestion was to use
1/4" birch ply good one side.

Do you have another suggestion that I could ask for at the next
store I go to?

You're talking about the doors, right?

Plywood also comes in 3/8" if that is the thickness you want. However, how
are you going to attach it? Can't glue unless you undo your prime/seal
work. If you do, do you have sufficient clamps? Screws from the back? Not
really easy to screw into 3/8 ply without going through, even harder (damn
near impossible) with 1/4. Nails/screws through the trim into the plywood
door? Could but there really isn't much thickness even in 3/8 ply to
countersink screws and small nails aren't going to hold very well.

Then there is the matter of cutting your trim to the correct lengths so the
ends of the top & bottom pieces (rails) fit tightly against the sides of the
vertical pieces (stiles). You could cut all a smidge long and trim the
excess flush with the edges of the doors but do you have the ability and
capability of doing so? If you do, it would be just about as easy (and
better) to get some 3/4 poplar and make your own rails and stiles grooved
for an inserted panel of 1/4 ply or hardboard. You could also have rails,
stiles and panels made at a custom millwork shop. You would then assemble,
finish and hang. Finishing is easy, the others less so unless you have
experience.

IOW, I think it is a bad idea. But if you *do* do it, you'll need to work
on the plywood edges so they will look acceptable. Plywood has layers of
wood in alternating directions which means you will have end grain on any
edge. You need to sand, fill, sand again so that you have an edge that
won't feel/look rough and suck up paint. Then you can prime and paint.
___________________________

Is there a specific placement for the wooden knob I am going to add
or can I stick them anywhere?

You can put them where you want them as long as you avoid the cabinet knob
placement police.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

I've used iron on edge banding many times to cover ply edge. Common
practice.