Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Satellite Position Notation

I am trying to set up a dish for receiving satellite television.
I had assumed that I understood the meaning of, for example,
28.2 degrees East.
I assumed that this meant 28.2 degrees east of north.
Or possibly 28.2 degrees past east.
But then, what can 122.2 degrees East mean ?
I have hunted for an explanation but it seems to be regarded as being
self-evident.
Unfortunately, it is not self-evident to me.
I would be grateful for elucidation from anyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"lari" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a dish for receiving satellite television.
I had assumed that I understood the meaning of, for example,
28.2 degrees East.
I assumed that this meant 28.2 degrees east of north.

Yes

Or possibly 28.2 degrees past east.

No

But then, what can 122.2 degrees East mean ?

122.2 degrees East of North!
or 32.2 degrees East of East if you must.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"lari" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a dish for receiving satellite television.
I had assumed that I understood the meaning of, for example,
28.2 degrees East.
I assumed that this meant 28.2 degrees east of north.

28.2 degrees is the position of the satellite in its orbit relative to the
Greenwich Meridian.

The angle you have to point your dish at depends where you are.

See http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

alt.satellite.tv.europe is a more appropriate ng or uk.tech.tv.sky

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lari wrote:

28.2 degrees East.
I assumed that this meant 28.2 degrees east of north.

Not for geosynchronous satellite positions it doesn't. The numbers
refer to lines of longitude (through the poles) and they're relative to
Greenwich.

28.2°E is on a meridian somewhere towards the far end of the Med. I'm
guessing an Arabic station? Obviously the satellites are all near the
Equator in terms of lattitude.

Assuming that you're in the UK your dish needs to point somewhat
"leftwards" of a locally vertical meridian plane, but it's still mainly
southwards. Stick it on a southern-facing wall, not eastern-facing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

28.2°E is on a meridian somewhere towards the far end of the Med. I'm
guessing an Arabic station? Obviously the satellites are all near the
Equator in terms of lattitude.

28.2°E is the position of the Astra 2A, 2B & 2D satellites used by
Astra and the satellites have to be directly over the equator.

If they were not, they would wander north and south of the equator over
a 24 hour period and need a sophisticated steerable dish to track them.

The dish needs to point to a spot in the sky which is 28.2°E of the
Greenwich meridian and 35,786 kilometers (22,236 miles) above the
equator - finding this point is the clever bit!

This link will work out the correct details for you:
http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/az...p?locale=en_GB

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:

28.2°E is the position of the Astra 2A, 2B & 2D satellites used by
Astra ...

Whoops! That should have said "used by Sky"!

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:
Terry wrote:

28.2°E is the position of the Astra 2A, 2B & 2D satellites used by
Astra ...

Whoops! That should have said "used by Sky"!

Terry

One is looking south for the satellites, towards the equator. 28.2E is
then more or less 28.2 degrees east (left) of south. You should be
able to find more information than you need by googling etc. I
recently set up a dish from scratch, pointed in roughly in the same
direction as the neighbours dishes then used the digibox to get to the
right satellite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

adder1969 wrote:

I recently set up a dish from scratch, pointed in roughly in the same
direction as the neighbours dishes then used the digibox to get to the
right satellite.

Sounds a bit hit-and-miss, aiming something smaller than a dustbin lid,
at something about the size of a people-carrier which is more than twice
as far away as Sydney is from London.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jan 2007 05:34:23 -0800, "Terry" wrote:

|Andy Dingley wrote:
|

| 28.2?E is on a meridian somewhere towards the far end of the Med. I'm
| guessing an Arabic station? Obviously the satellites are all near the
| Equator in terms of lattitude.
|

|28.2?E is the position of the Astra 2A, 2B & 2D satellites used by
|Astra and the satellites have to be directly over the equator.
|
|If they were not, they would wander north and south of the equator over
|a 24 hour period and need a sophisticated steerable dish to track them.
|
|The dish needs to point to a spot in the sky which is 28.2?E of the
|Greenwich meridian and 35,786 kilometers (22,236 miles) above the
|equator - finding this point is the clever bit!

Quite easy really
http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/bearings.htm
when the complex maths has been done for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jan 2007 05:11:36 -0800, "Andy Dingley"
wrote:

28.2°E is on a meridian somewhere towards the far end of the Med. I'm
guessing an Arabic station?

No, 28.2 is the Astra constellation of satellites used for Sky etc

Stick it on a southern-facing wall, not eastern-facing.

There is enough adjustment in a minidish mount to go on either. As a
rough guide the direction to face the dish is the same as the sun at
about 1020 GMT so anywhere that is well illuminated by direct sunlight
around that time can be a site for a dish. Note that this is only the
horizontal direction and is on bearing around 145 degrees. The elevation
(up/down) to the satellites is about 30 degrees.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:

If they were not, they would wander north and south of the equator over
a 24 hour period and need a sophisticated steerable dish to track them.

You can still use them with a static dish if they're geosynchronous,
even if they're wobbling in the figure-8 you describe. Maybe not for
TV, but certainly for some data services where a lower signal strength
at the LNB is acceptable.

As older satellites run low on station keeping fuel they often end up
in such orbits, pensioned off to less obvious VSAT services.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
adder1969 wrote:

I recently set up a dish from scratch, pointed in roughly in the same
direction as the neighbours dishes then used the digibox to get to the
right satellite.

Sounds a bit hit-and-miss, aiming something smaller than a dustbin lid,
at something about the size of a people-carrier which is more than twice
as far away as Sydney is from London.

Well it might be but I got mine done in about 5 minutes. The sky
signal is very strong and you use the digibox to fine tune it.

Goncz's Postulate in Compact Notation [email protected] Metalworking 0 August 25th 05 09:46 AM
Bypass valve position Jeff UK diy 38 April 20th 05 09:10 PM
Boiler Position roger UK diy 4 December 29th 04 10:14 PM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM
Mid-Position 3 Port Valve - Hot Water (A) position & OFF - but HW flow to boiler? Clivedodd UK diy 3 September 9th 03 12:53 AM