Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damage Likely from Boiler Plume?

My neighbour's got a new boiler & the flue now vents into the passage
between our houses. It's about 155cms from the end of the flue to my
side wall. The flue has an angle in it, which means it's not directly
pointing at my house. The emissions appear to be very light in that
they drift away quickly and don't always blow into the same spot on my
house.

I've posted a photo he http://tinyurl.com/yfj5hr (My house is the
one on the left with the hideous light blue paintwork).

My concern is that it could damage the woodwork or rendering
(apparently it's ''Tyrolean Finish') on my house. I don't know if
that's likely given the nature of the emissions, and if it's a problem
that's become frequent with the plumes from condensing boilers

Thanks,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My neighbour's got a new boiler & the flue now vents into the passage
between our houses. It's about 155cms from the end of the flue to my
side wall. The flue has an angle in it, which means it's not directly
pointing at my house. The emissions appear to be very light in that
they drift away quickly and don't always blow into the same spot on my
house.

I've posted a photo he
http://tinyurl.com/yfj5hr (My house is the
one on the left with the hideous light blue paintwork).

My concern is that it could damage the woodwork or rendering
(apparently it's ''Tyrolean Finish') on my house. I don't know if
that's likely given the nature of the emissions, and if it's a problem
that's become frequent with the plumes from condensing boilers

Thanks,

Michael

Have a look at these on page 43:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADJ_2002.pdf

Also, if the white pipe is the condensate drain, you may have all
kinds of problems from wind-blown acidic condensate products impacting
your property.

--

Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:12:08 -0800, michaeld121 wrote:

My neighbour's got a new boiler & the flue now vents into the passage
between our houses. It's about 155cms from the end of the flue to my
side wall. The flue has an angle in it, which means it's not directly
pointing at my house. The emissions appear to be very light in that
they drift away quickly and don't always blow into the same spot on my
house.

I've posted a photo he http://tinyurl.com/yfj5hr (My house is the
one on the left with the hideous light blue paintwork).

My concern is that it could damage the woodwork or rendering
(apparently it's ''Tyrolean Finish') on my house. I don't know if
that's likely given the nature of the emissions, and if it's a problem
that's become frequent with the plumes from condensing boilers

Thanks,

Michael

Realistically the plume is not likely to do much damage at 1.5m (or more
on the diagonal).

If the distance from the terminal to the property boundary (let alone your
house) is less than 2.5m then you have grounds for a complaint. Your
neighbour's installer should have been aware of potential problems with the
plume and and made provision to:
direct the plume elsewhere
resite the boiler elsewhere
use a different model with a different flue system etc.

It seems likely to me that the white over-flow pipe could be an
inadequately installed condensate drain....

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

A black coloured plume kit should be installed taking the centre pipe of the
flue upwards following the drain pipe to above roof level. Also check out
the white overflow pipe. If it is the condensate pipe, tell the neighbour to
get the cowboy back and do it properly. It will drip continuously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

If the distance from the terminal to the property boundary (let alone your
house) is less than 2.5m then you have grounds for a complaint. Your
neighbour's installer should have been aware of potential problems with the
plume and and made provision to:
direct the plume elsewhere
resite the boiler elsewhere
use a different model with a different flue system etc.

That's interesting as I had a meeting with a rep from a boiler company
on Monday. We were discussing various and the subject of plume
management was one. The Co do a specific plume management kit which
takes the plume vertical till out of way and then vents. We also
discussed this 2.5m distance and he was saying that it was a
recommendation. He also said that building regs stipulated 0.6m.
After the meeting my understanding was that it had to be min 0.6m from
the boundary if it was considered a non nuiscence. I have one which is
1m from a boundary and is so high it vents above the neighbours
property which is 5m away and he said that it was okay. Very interested
to know what others think.

Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

It seems likely to me that the white over-flow pipe could be an
inadequately installed condensate drain....

I've just looked back at some old photos & the white over-flow pipe was
there well before the new boiler. I'm pretty sure it relates to the
bathroom as it's in exactly the right place for that.

I think that the condensate drain is probably the copper pipe which
appears a little below the white overflow & runs downwards for a few
feet. It appeared at about the same time as the flue.

I've also just noticed that she's having an extractor fan fitted in a
new downstairs shower room (you can just see a bit of the fitting -
it's a white blob near the small, white downstairs window). I'm
assuming that this is also not something to get myself too worked up
about?

Thanks for the responses,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...

Ed Sirett wrote:

It seems likely to me that the white over-flow pipe could be an
inadequately installed condensate drain....

I've just looked back at some old photos & the white over-flow pipe was
there well before the new boiler. I'm pretty sure it relates to the
bathroom as it's in exactly the right place for that.

I think that the condensate drain is probably the copper pipe which
appears a little below the white overflow & runs downwards for a few
feet. It appeared at about the same time as the flue.

That will be the pressure relief pipe from the boiler. It should go to down
to ground level, stopped a few inches from the ground and an elbow turned
back towards the wall. If boiling boiler discharge emerges it should be
below people and turned to the wall. If not she should get them back.

Paint resistant to gas boiler plume? Malcolm H UK diy 3 January 23rd 06 06:38 PM
Bath Damage Dr Wu UK diy 6 December 8th 05 06:03 PM
Chipmunk Damage [email protected] Home Ownership 2 April 5th 05 03:55 PM
Condensing Boiler - NO Condensate but BIG plume David UK diy 4 January 31st 04 12:47 PM
How to redirect condensing combi's plume Lysander UK diy 10 November 28th 03 07:11 PM