Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting Electric Cable

Hi

To cut a long story short.....

Bog standard electrical socket cable running under the floorboards. I
need to reroute it and can only do so by extending its length. Rather
than rewiring, my question is would the Part P Building Regs permit the
cutting of the cable to let in a new length of ~ 1 metre ?

I'll have my electrician formally assess this, but as he's not
around for a few days I'm hoping someone can advise as it has
ramifications for my builder in the middle of a major extension
project.

Cheers
Gareth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
" writes:

have just got home and taken a look....

I won't need to add in a length of cable, but would need to cut the
cable (actually there's 5 of them) once, feed them through a centered
whole the a new joist, then reconnect the cables...

From memory, I don't think that is in the list of things for
which you can avoid submitting a buildings notice.
However, if you were to cut through them all with a circular
saw, then you can repair the damage without a building notice.
Don't you just love Part P...

problem with a junciton box is that it would be under the floowbards
and thus not that immediately accessible - would that be an issue ?

Use crimps.
If you are competent at electrical soldering, another way is
to use junction boxes as normal, but solder the terminal
connections. However, don't try this unless you are already
very good at electrical soldering or you'll just create a
mess.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Cutting Coaxial Cable [email protected] Home Repair 26 November 21st 16 02:10 PM
Cutting a spur cable Jim Hollis UK diy 12 May 3rd 06 01:42 AM
electric and aerial cable Neil UK diy 12 January 25th 06 08:37 PM
running electric cable Neil UK diy 4 September 18th 05 12:46 PM
electric cable question bill UK diy 4 December 3rd 04 02:16 PM