JIH JIH is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up Gutter Quality

Can anybody comment on the quality of Screwfix guttering - does it compare to Marley etc?
the price seems very good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gutter Quality

"JIH" wrote in message

Can anybody comment on the quality of Screwfix guttering - does it
compare to Marley etc?
the price seems very good.

Used a fair amount of gutter, downpipes, clips, joints etc. on my In Laws
bungalow a couple of years ago and it still seems OK if that helps.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
JIH

From 15 years selling PVC Rainwater goods for a 3 different companies

(left the last one some 15 years ago), this is how I rate them on
quality and longevity, i.e. non fading, lasting flexibility and
security of joint pads over a long period:

1st Key Terrain
2nd Hunter Plastics
3rd Osma Plastics
4th Bartol Plastics
5th Brett Martin
6th Polypipe

No experience with the Screwfix System but I know it is imported by a
company in Brum. All the others are UK manufacture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 12, 10:42 am, JIH wrote:
Can anybody comment on the quality of Screwfix guttering - does it
compare to Marley etc?

Strangely, I bought some recently (gutters & fittings, no downpipes)
but haven't fitted it yet.

Having compared prices with the Marley stuff in a builders' merchants,
Screwfix was considerably cheaper. Not having seen, I had concerns
about the quality of the cheaper Screwfix stuff.

Having got it, I'd say it's equal to or better than anything else I've
seen in the usual outlets. I'd definitely buy it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 12, 5:41 pm, "Aidan" wrote:
On Jan 12, 10:42 am, JIH wrote:

Strangely, I bought some recently (gutters & fittings, no downpipes)

PS
It's marked 'Floplast'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JIH wrote:
Can anybody comment on the quality of Screwfix guttering - does it
compare to Marley etc?
the price seems very good.

As an aside to all the other replies, don't use long lengths, IE anything
over 4m....if you put them up in summer when they are fully expanded and fit
them to the 'fit line', come winter, each length will shrink about 75mm and
often pulls itself out of a joint...fit them in winter, and in summer they
grow and twist and turn (like a twisty, turny thing) and also end up
dislocating themselves...as I found out when using 5m lengths last
year...dark colours are worse than white for this BTW.

JIH JIH is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil L
JIH wrote:
Can anybody comment on the quality of Screwfix guttering - does it
compare to Marley etc?
the price seems very good.

As an aside to all the other replies, don't use long lengths, IE anything
over 4m....if you put them up in summer when they are fully expanded and fit
them to the 'fit line', come winter, each length will shrink about 75mm and
often pulls itself out of a joint...fit them in winter, and in summer they
grow and twist and turn (like a twisty, turny thing) and also end up
dislocating themselves...as I found out when using 5m lengths last
year...dark colours are worse than white for this BTW.
Are you referring just to Screwfix or UPVC in general?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JIH wrote:
Phil L Wrote:
JIH wrote:-
Can anybody comment on the quality of Screwfix guttering - does it
compare to Marley etc?
the price seems very good.-

As an aside to all the other replies, don't use long lengths, IE
anything
over 4m....if you put them up in summer when they are fully expanded
and fit
them to the 'fit line', come winter, each length will shrink about
75mm and
often pulls itself out of a joint...fit them in winter, and in summer
they
grow and twist and turn (like a twisty, turny thing) and also end up
dislocating themselves...as I found out when using 5m lengths last
year...dark colours are worse than white for this BTW.

Are you referring just to Screwfix or UPVC in general?

upvc in general, the darker colours, black mainly but also dark brown, will
expand by as much as 75mm over a 5m length, or if it's fitted in
July/August, will shrink by the same amount in Jan/Feb....I'd use 3m lengths
if they are available, more joints yes, but more room for
expansion/contraction, this is what hindsight tells me, it's a pity I didn't
realise this before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes

Are you referring just to Screwfix or UPVC in general?

upvc in general, the darker colours, black mainly but also dark brown, will
expand by as much as 75mm over a 5m length, or if it's fitted in
July/August, will shrink by the same amount in Jan/Feb....I'd use 3m lengths
if they are available, more joints yes, but more room for
expansion/contraction, this is what hindsight tells me, it's a pity I didn't
realise this before.

Seems a bit excessive! 3"?

I certainly find Osma in black tends to ratchet out of the joints in
South facing locations. What appears to happen is that the support
brackets grip better in one direction than the other (probably imperfect
mounting) and *travel* the gutter out of the joints. This only happens
on end runs ie. not between two joints.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

Are you referring just to Screwfix or UPVC in general?

upvc in general, the darker colours, black mainly but also dark
brown, will expand by as much as 75mm over a 5m length, or if it's
fitted in July/August, will shrink by the same amount in
Jan/Feb....I'd use 3m lengths if they are available, more joints
yes, but more room for expansion/contraction, this is what hindsight
tells me, it's a pity I didn't realise this before.

Seems a bit excessive! 3"?

I certainly find Osma in black tends to ratchet out of the joints in
South facing locations. What appears to happen is that the support
brackets grip better in one direction than the other (probably
imperfect mounting) and *travel* the gutter out of the joints. This
only happens on end runs ie. not between two joints.

regards

I've had 5m lengths pull out of joints, usually in the centre of a long run,
so it had a joint at each end, rather than a stop end, and they go into the
joints by about 1.5 inches, sometimes 2...it must have shrunk by 3 inches
for this to happen, I know people who still use them, but they insert so
that the gutters are almost touching (in summer) leaving just a 1 inch gap
instead of the usual 4 inch, then when winter comes and each length shrinks,
they retract back to the fit line.

personally, I now prefer to just chop them in half and use 2.5 or 3m
lengths, slightly more work and slower but a far better job done, which will
last.

Nest in gutter Jim Home Repair 1 June 7th 06 09:52 PM
gutter size markp1706 Home Repair 1 July 21st 05 02:33 PM
Gutter installation help, please. [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 20th 05 11:55 AM
Gutter clearing Andy Pandy UK diy 13 January 7th 05 09:02 AM
Gutter guards ! [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 20th 04 09:35 PM