Christian McArdle

Default After fitting a bottom entry cistern valve - i have a drip - Help!

Should there be a washer on the copper nut thing that i tighten up to
the plastic pipe or not? - I didn't look to see if there was one before
so without taking it back off i don't know.

Yes, there should be a washer. It is probably a 15mm tap connector washer.
It is probably attached to the old valve. You should get a new one anyway,
as the old one will be manked.

Be very careful with metal tap connectors on plastic tails, it is
exceptionally easy to cross thread.

Christian.

Malcolm Stewart

"Chris" wrote in message
I've had to replace the bottom entry filler system on my WC and i have a
very slight drip which is coming from where the copper nut fixes onto
the threaded plastic inlet pipe.

I used some silastomer sealing compound when I had a minor leak from the threads
surrounding the pipe to the WC. Has the advantage that it sets under water, and
it's been leak-free for many years now.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

John Stumbles

"Chris" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:43:47 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Should there be a washer on the copper nut thing that i tighten up to
the plastic pipe or not? - I didn't look to see if there was one before
so without taking it back off i don't know.

Yes, there should be a washer. It is probably a 15mm tap connector

washer.
It is probably attached to the old valve. You should get a new one

anyway,
as the old one will be manked.

Be very careful with metal tap connectors on plastic tails, it is
exceptionally easy to cross thread.

Christian.

I called at the local hardware shop earlier and the only washers i
could get were 1/2" tap washers & 3/4". a quick conversion tells me
that the 1/2" is as near as damn it to 15mm but because its not the
exact metric size is that going to matter.

No, what you need is a reddish fibre washer about 1.5mm thick and 2mm wide,
15mm inside diameter. A good ironmongers etc should have them (or BES)

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Alex

Tap connecter washers are fibre redish in colour,not the same as a tap
washer,buy a tube of fernox silicone sealer that may get you out of trouble
with your misthread

PoP

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:34:11 +0100, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

No, what you need is a reddish fibre washer about 1.5mm thick and 2mm wide,
15mm inside diameter. A good ironmongers etc should have them (or BES)

I bought a pack each of 15mm and 22mm fibre washers from Focus just
yesterday. Any of the big DIY sheds ought to have these on the racks,
you just search around the plumbing area.

PoP

Mark S.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:24:30 +0100, Chris wrote:

I've had to replace the bottom entry filler system on my WC and i have a
very slight drip which is coming from where the copper nut fixes onto
the threaded plastic inlet pipe.

I'm replacing like for like and i've attempted this job as its my first
plumbing experience and thought it would be pretty straight forward.

Should there be a washer on the copper nut thing that i tighten up to
the plastic pipe or not? - I didn't look to see if there was one before
so without taking it back off i don't know.

I would say that the connection is as tight as i dare tighten it as not
to damage anything. maybe i just need to tighten further?

If thats not the case would plumbing tape do the job if i wrap that over
the threads of the plastic pipe maybe?

Please be gentle with me, its my first plumbing job!

Had a similar problem with mine, took it off and put some ptfe tape on
the threads of the inlet assembly and it's been drip free since.

Mark S.