Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ideas for hiding 32mm waste pipe?

I have to fit a narrow sink in a galley style downstairs loo.
No room for false wall behind sink.
We don't want the sink to fit on a cupboard style unit.
It doesn't have a pedestal.
Don't really want to box the 32mm waste pipes in in case of future
blockages.

Any ideas for making the 32mm trap and pipe look pretty?

Probably going to buy a chrome bottle trap but cant't seem to easily
find some 'chrome' waste pipe.
Seems the small section of pipe that comes with the trap isn't 32mm
and needs an bulky(ish) adapter to connect to 32mm pipe. (I have only
a 100mm gap under the floor boards to play with).

Can you get:-
silver 32mm plastic pipe?
paint for 32mm grey plastic waste pipe?
a chrome effect shroud/cover for 32mm grey plastic waste pipe?

Any other ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blackbat wrote:
I have to fit a narrow sink in a galley style downstairs loo.
No room for false wall behind sink.
We don't want the sink to fit on a cupboard style unit.
It doesn't have a pedestal.
Don't really want to box the 32mm waste pipes in in case of future
blockages.

Any ideas for making the 32mm trap and pipe look pretty?

Probably going to buy a chrome bottle trap but cant't seem to easily
find some 'chrome' waste pipe.
Seems the small section of pipe that comes with the trap isn't 32mm
and needs an bulky(ish) adapter to connect to 32mm pipe. (I have only
a 100mm gap under the floor boards to play with).

Can you get:-
silver 32mm plastic pipe?
paint for 32mm grey plastic waste pipe?
a chrome effect shroud/cover for 32mm grey plastic waste pipe?

Any other ideas?

Been here, done it.

First thing to say is, those chrome bottle traps are a total PITA.
NOTHING fits the pipe. Properly. I was lucky enough to have a stud wall
to fit things into. I thionk my last one involved going to the BM and
trying every single fitting they had and concocting an abortion of
several adaptors to get down to my preferred choice - welded plastic.

Now I did hide the pipes behind some slender boxing. HOWEVER if you use
solvent weld, you have a non olefin plastic guaranteed, and many paints
will take to it. Including spray chrome. Aloo a wipe over the pipe with
the solvent will do wonders for an 'etch' process that helps the paint
key better.

Hit your car spares/Halfords type place for spray on silver or chrome
type cans. Experiment first.

You CAN get chrome pipe as well..steel that is chromed. Or even brass,
or stainless..but not from plumbers places..try custom exhaust places
for pimped up cars..or indeed you can get steel pipe chromed yourself -
lots of people in the car pimping business these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:31:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

[...]

Thanks,
As always, after I posted, I think I *may* have found what I need - a
chrome standipe with a 90 degree bend that is supposed to fit into one
of the chrome traps. I'm trying to establish how it connects to the
32mm pipe under the floor. I don't like the idea of not using a
non-solvent based joint under the floorboards when I'm gonna tile over
it for good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Th answer is to make the connection up higher. And accept the ugliness.

To be fair though, if you lock it all down and thoroughly test it first,
it will outlast the tiles. Its the sort of situation where you wrap the
joint in glass tape and soak it in resin..

Its not under pressure after all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:02:19 +0000, blackbat wrote:

Probably going to buy a chrome bottle trap but cant't seem to easily
find some 'chrome' waste pipe.
Seems the small section of pipe that comes with the trap isn't 32mm

It is 32mm and will go straight into a push-fit or compression fitting.
Solvent weld pipe & fittings of nominal 32mm size are actually about 34 or
35mm dia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:53:50 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Its not under pressure after all.

true
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:02:19 +0000, blackbat wrote:

Probably going to buy a chrome bottle trap but cant't seem to easily
find some 'chrome' waste pipe.
Seems the small section of pipe that comes with the trap isn't 32mm

It is 32mm and will go straight into a push-fit or compression fitting.

Yep. Leaving usually a 1mm gap all round, or tearing out the seal,
depending.

Take it from those who have actually TRIED.

Solvent weld pipe & fittings of nominal 32mm size are actually about 34 or
35mm dia.

And push fit is different again, and those chrome pipes are yet another
thing altogether.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:13:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:02:19 +0000, blackbat wrote:

Probably going to buy a chrome bottle trap but cant't seem to easily
find some 'chrome' waste pipe.
Seems the small section of pipe that comes with the trap isn't 32mm

It is 32mm and will go straight into a push-fit or compression fitting.

Yep. Leaving usually a 1mm gap all round, or tearing out the seal,
depending.

Take it from those who have actually TRIED.

Solvent weld pipe & fittings of nominal 32mm size are actually about 34 or
35mm dia.

And push fit is different again, and those chrome pipes are yet another
thing altogether.

I'm gonna go for one of these and hope I can get an adaptor to connect
to the 32mm waste under the floorboards.

http://tinyurl.com/y9lc9x

The supplier says the pipe is actually 35mm.

Connecting 32mm waste to 22mm copper Tractorboy UK diy 2 November 1st 05 07:45 PM
Hiding waste water pipe inside my bathroom wall David Green UK diy 4 October 25th 05 02:35 PM
Are all 32mm waste pipe standard size? Stevie UK diy 4 October 19th 05 06:04 PM
32mm Waste John UK diy 2 October 13th 05 07:40 PM
22mm overflow to 32mm waste adapter? andrewpreece UK diy 10 December 14th 03 12:46 AM