Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Never buy anything made in France!!! (espec: combi boilers)

Never buy anything made in France!

I went against my better gudgement when I bought this French-made
combi-boiler in 1997. I should have paid greater heed to my instincts!
It's been a constant PITA from day 1.

The latest of my headaches is that there was water dripping from
somewhere. After ages of faffin' around, I eventually managed to trace
the leak to a hairline fracture in on of the main junction castings,
where several pipes meet: and one end of the secondary heat exchanger
is screwed to.

It reminds me of French cars: always some ****ing thing dropping off
because it wasn't properly made or designed.

I'm trying a last-ditch attempt to fix it with a good American-made
product called JB-Weld: an epoxy resin that has a higher
heat-tolerance than most epoxy resins. Let's hope!

If this last-ditch fix doesn't work, I'll be looking at replacing the
boiler. It'll prolly cost £1000 to install a replacement, but the
amount of grief it'll spare me over the next few years, it'll prolly
be worth it.

So can anyone recommend a cheap but reliable combi boiler that is
suitable for a very-hard water area?

Jim D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim D" wrote in message

[...]

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:49:47 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy !

No - it wasn't (strangely enough). And that's exactly how I was duped!
If it had looked all curvy and warped, I would have been instantly
reminded of the Citroen cars I had such a bad time with, when I worked
for a company that insisted on using them. But it looked so neat and
straightforward that I assumed the French had finally got their act
together. I was wrong.

Jim D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:49:47 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/vid/2CV.wmv

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim D" wrote in message

So can anyone recommend a cheap but reliable combi boiler that is
suitable for a very-hard water area?

Glow Worm. Rebadged Vaillants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:49:47 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/vid/2CV.wmv

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim D
writes

[...]

Elm Le Blanc ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim D" wrote in message

Never buy anything made in France!

I went against my better gudgement when I bought this French-made
combi-boiler in 1997. I should have paid greater heed to my instincts!
It's been a constant PITA from day 1.

I have a Chaffoteaux Britony II T water heater. I've had it for a number of
years (I can't remember how many), and all that it has needed is a new
rubber diaphragm (which I fitted myself on 2 or 3 occasions).

Sylvain.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

"Jim D" wrote in message

Never buy anything made in France!

I went against my better gudgement when I bought this French-made
combi-boiler in 1997. I should have paid greater heed to my instincts!
It's been a constant PITA from day 1.

I have a Chaffoteaux Britony II T water heater. I've had it for a number
of years (I can't remember how many), and all that it has needed is a new
rubber diaphragm (which I fitted myself on 2 or 3 occasions).

Sylvain, an excellent water heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim D" wrote in message

Never buy anything made in France!

I went against my better gudgement when I bought this French-made
combi-boiler in 1997. I should have paid greater heed to my instincts!
It's been a constant PITA from day 1.

I have a Chaffoteaux Britony II T water heater. I've had it for a number
of years (I can't remember how many), and all that it has needed is a new
rubber diaphragm (which I fitted myself on 2 or 3 occasions).

Sylvain, an excellent water heater.

Well, that's the kiss of death, isn't it.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:52:01 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Er, yes John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:52:01 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Er, yes John

Well he does claim to drive a Prius...

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:52:01 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Er, yes John

Well he does claim to drive a Prius...

I drive one of them too. Please eff off you are a fool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim D" wrote in message

Never buy anything made in France!

I went against my better gudgement when I bought this French-made
combi-boiler in 1997. I should have paid greater heed to my instincts!
It's been a constant PITA from day 1.

I have a Chaffoteaux Britony II T water heater. I've had it for a
number
of years (I can't remember how many), and all that it has needed is a
new
rubber diaphragm (which I fitted myself on 2 or 3 occasions).

Sylvain, an excellent water heater.

Well, that's the kiss of death, isn't it.

No. It's a water heater. Duh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:13:48 +0000, Jim D wrote:

[...]

Low initial cost and reliable tend not to go together!

Most combis now have easily removed secondary heat exchangers which can be
dumped in a dilute acid to restore them.

Take your pick try not to spend _less_ than £750 on the unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:52:01 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Er, yes John

Well he does claim to drive a Prius...

I drive one of them too. Please eff off you are a fool.

Your snipping fetish seems to have left you on this occasion. Have you
been getting treatment?
Now get treatment for your fantasy one.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 605975 20070105 184947 "Andrew Mawson" wrote:
"Jim D" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Been on the TGV lately ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

AWEM

Been on the TGV lately ?

On an Airbus..don't need to take a wing off to change a wheel on THAT ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:16:12 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:49:47 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/vid/2CV.wmv

Hey, thanks for that - I was looking up stuff on Gordon Russell only
this morning. I'm the proud owner of a Gordon Russell sideboard btw.
There is also a LHD 2CV on Ebay, which really looks the bizz. Only
snag - to collect from France!

Maris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-06 11:39:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher said:

Bob Martin wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

AWEM

Been on the TGV lately ?

On an Airbus..don't need to take a wing off to change a wheel on THAT ;-)

Yes, but have you noticed the hairs under the wings where they don't
bother to shave?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bob Martin wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

AWEM

Been on the TGV lately ?

On an Airbus..don't need to take a wing off to change a wheel on THAT ;-)

Just the rudder then ...

Leaking hydraulic fluid is causing them to delaminate

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:49:47 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/vid/2CV.wmv

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Designed to cope with the worst French roads. And I believe that at the time
some of them were really bad.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:49:47 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality.

Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

I seem to remember that you had to remove a wing panel to take a road wheel
off an Austin Sheerline limousine. Mind you, it did have self-jacking
equipment.

Sylvain.

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/vid/2CV.wmv

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains
these words:

I seem to remember that you had to remove a wing panel to take a road wheel
off an Austin Sheerline limousine. Mind you, it did have self-jacking
equipment.

Several cars from the 50s had removable panels boxing in the rear
wheels. Series E Vauxhalls for certain. Jaguars possibly.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:52:01 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Er, yes John

Well he does claim to drive a Prius...

I drive one of them too. Please eff off you are a fool.

Your

Please eff off you are a fool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:19:45 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:52:01 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The 2CV, one of the greatest cars ever made.

Er, yes John

Well I have to say I agree with Dribble on this occasion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:39:14 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Ah....but I bet it's stylish and trendy ! Triumphs of design over
practicality. Which French car was it that you had to take a wing off
to change a wheel?

AWEM

Been on the TGV lately ?

On an Airbus..don't need to take a wing off to change a wheel on THAT ;-)

But all Airbus wings are designed and bult by the British (at least
for now)

Combi Boilers Bigal UK diy 5 June 13th 06 10:18 PM
combi boilers again!! richman UK diy 64 August 12th 05 11:54 PM
Combi boilers Kate11171 UK diy 41 June 14th 05 01:45 PM
Combi Boilers AMBOONUK Home Repair 1 June 2nd 05 06:31 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM