Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken Worcester Boiler

Hi all,

Our Worcester Heatslave Highflow boiler broke down last night, leaving
us without heat and h/w.

The pilot wouldn't stay lit, so we have replaced the thermocouple, but
no joy.

Does that mean it's the gas valve, or is it worth replacing the
high-limit stat?

Anyone know how much a new gas valve is, and where I can source one at
a reasonable price? I may have to consider a new boiler, but I also
have to think about the welfare of the household, and the weather
forecast isn't very encouraging...

I'd also consider calling in a professional, if anyone can recommend
someone sound (we are in Stratford-upon-Avon).

TIA for any help or advice!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Pashley wrote:
Hi all,

Our Worcester Heatslave Highflow boiler broke down last night, leaving
us without heat and h/w.

Update:

We've decided it's an ex-boiler. Not only are there problems over which
model of gas valve is needed, necessitating multiple purchase and
restocking fees etc, we've discovered water seeping from the heat
store.

So now I have just hours to decide what model of new boiler to go for.
A CORGI man who will fit it quickly is supposed to be calling me back.

Candidates so far are Vaillant ECO plus 831, and Worcester Greenstar 30
(not sure whether CDi or HE) or maybe Junior 28. It's just a 3 bedroom
house, but DHW flow rate would I think be unacceptable with much less
than 30KW.

All inputs (well nearly all) gratefully received.

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 07:54:17 -0800, David Pashley wrote:

David Pashley wrote:
Hi all,

Our Worcester Heatslave Highflow boiler broke down last night, leaving
us without heat and h/w.

Update:

We've decided it's an ex-boiler. Not only are there problems over which
model of gas valve is needed, necessitating multiple purchase and
restocking fees etc, we've discovered water seeping from the heat
store.

So now I have just hours to decide what model of new boiler to go for.
A CORGI man who will fit it quickly is supposed to be calling me back.

Candidates so far are Vaillant ECO plus 831, and Worcester Greenstar 30
(not sure whether CDi or HE) or maybe Junior 28. It's just a 3 bedroom
house, but DHW flow rate would I think be unacceptable with much less
than 30KW.

All inputs (well nearly all) gratefully received.

I think you are on the right lines.
You could read the BoilerChoice FAQ see below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Pashley wrote:
Hi all,

Our Worcester Heatslave Highflow boiler broke down last night, leaving
us without heat and h/w.

The pilot wouldn't stay lit, so we have replaced the thermocouple, but
no joy.

Does that mean it's the gas valve, or is it worth replacing the
high-limit stat?

Obtain a multimeter.
Measure if it's the high limit stat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:

Does that mean it's the gas valve, or is it worth replacing the
high-limit stat?

Obtain a multimeter.
Measure if it's the high limit stat.

It's a short, which I assume means it's OK.

I guess the fact that the pilot won't light points to the gas valve.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:10:03 -0800, David Pashley wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

Does that mean it's the gas valve, or is it worth replacing the
high-limit stat?

Obtain a multimeter.
Measure if it's the high limit stat.

It's a short, which I assume means it's OK.

I guess the fact that the pilot won't light points to the gas valve.

Not necessarily in fact the gas valve is usually the least unreliable
piece of kit in the boiler.

WORCESTER OIL BOILER NOT STARTING [email protected] UK diy 6 October 29th 06 09:11 PM
Worcester or Alpha for Boiler Replacement TheScullster UK diy 0 July 3rd 06 01:31 PM
Worcester Highflow 4.5 Boiler Dave Long UK diy 0 March 19th 06 10:41 AM
worcester 240 boiler joecardiff UK diy 1 December 28th 05 07:58 AM
worcester boiler program timer roger UK diy 2 November 9th 03 11:18 PM