Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default check on domestic electrical regs

I am extending an existing ring main to provide more power points in a
first floor ( upstairs ) bedroom.

I have successful expereince of this , but some years ago and just just wish
to check a couple pf points re current regulations.

1. In a first floor situation is it ok to just lay the cable in the void
between floor (boards) and downstairs ceiling ,

or does one have to fix (pin) cable to the sides of the floor joists. ?

2 . Sunken socket boxes will be about 12" above floor level , ( about 6"
above skirting height)

I have cut chases in the plaster down to brick suface.

Is it required to use trunking for the vertical run from floor to socket box
? I would use PVC Oval if I had to but given the shallow depth of the chase
I would rather just plaster over cable if this is OK.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jack Fate" wrote in message
I am extending an existing ring main to provide more power points in a
first floor ( upstairs ) bedroom.

I have successful expereince of this , but some years ago and just just
wish to check a couple pf points re current regulations.

1. In a first floor situation is it ok to just lay the cable in the void
between floor (boards) and downstairs ceiling ,

Yes. Short of ripping up loads of floorboards there is not much else you can
do

or does one have to fix (pin) cable to the sides of the floor joists. ?

2 . Sunken socket boxes will be about 12" above floor level , ( about 6"
above skirting height)

Whatever height you choose (height requirements are only on new builds)

I have cut chases in the plaster down to brick suface.

Is it required to use trunking for the vertical run from floor to socket
box ? I would use PVC Oval if I had to but given the shallow depth of the
chase I would rather just plaster over cable if this is OK.

Just using clips and then plastering is fine

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jack Fate wrote:
I am extending an existing ring main to provide more power points in a
first floor ( upstairs ) bedroom.

I have successful expereince of this , but some years ago and just just
wish to check a couple pf points re current regulations.

1. In a first floor situation is it ok to just lay the cable in the
void between floor (boards) and downstairs ceiling ,

Yup.

or does one have to fix (pin) cable to the sides of the floor joists. ?

That would be impractical in most cases without removing the entire floor.

2 . Sunken socket boxes will be about 12" above floor level , ( about 6"
above skirting height)

I have cut chases in the plaster down to brick suface.

Is it required to use trunking for the vertical run from floor to socket
box ? I would use PVC Oval if I had to but given the shallow depth of
the chase I would rather just plaster over cable if this is OK.

It's ok without - cable runs vertically from a socket don't need to be
protected.

Thanks in advance

Richard

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

electrical regs nthng2snet UK diy 3 March 18th 05 10:08 AM
Typical domestic electrical circuits John Aston UK diy 21 January 21st 04 03:10 PM
New Electrical Regs - Again PoP UK diy 169 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM
electrical wiring regs SCAREY-B.HERE-ON-THE.NET UK diy 3 September 26th 03 11:02 AM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM