Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [ot] Free srapping of cars

I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vortex wrote:
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me.

And probably to 'them' given scrap cars have a value these days.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:45:50 -0000, "Vortex"
wrote:

I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me.

And me, but isn't it a shame (most of) the world has to be motivated
by money before it does the right thing? I know when the price of
'mixed light iron' scrap has gone up because the rag_and_bone_men are
out again ... ;-)

But what about all the Rovers out there?

Well the 13 year old 218SD (1.9) I bought 3 years ago for £100 has
just had a new battery[1] and it's only done 185,000 miles so I don't
see me needing to re-cycle it for a while (especially at 50 mpg) ;-)

But that is a good point. The thing is I don't feel you see as may
'old' cars on the road like you used to, especially where the
manufacturer is no longer about (as you say, except Rover?).

But with the value of scrap as high as it is at the moment I can't see
it a problem getting rid of anything (apparently a manhole cover is
worth a bit so they've started screwing them down?).

OTOH I spotted a light truck and box trailer parked by the side of the
road the other day and it looked like they were re-securing a truck
cab roof to their trailer. Except when I went past the next time it
had been dumped just down the bank. Maybe it was fiberglass or nicked
or summat? ;-(

Did I read / hear some pikeys pulled a 13th century church spire over
for 70 quids worth of scrap lightening conductor?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] 60Ah, sealed (with charge 'magic eye'), 3 yr gt'ee, 38 quid?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If scrap metal is worth so much, why are scrap yards full of old cars?

Manhole covers, copper pipes, etc. - I feel the reporting of such thefts
often makes it look attractive: eg: A manhole cover worth £100 was stolen"
(this is the replacement cost - not the scrap value.

"Copper conductors stolen from substations - replacement will cost over
£5,000"

Such story lines in the papers make it look attractive.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did I read / hear some pikeys pulled a 13th century church spire over
for 70 quids worth of scrap lightening conductor?

Yes they did as well as power lines aerial cables, cables off railways
pity they don't do old cars!...

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...0/31/5c16bb1b-
0ae1-4052-b07e-8fd258492eac.lpf
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:18:31 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

Did I read / hear some pikeys pulled a 13th century church spire over
for 70 quids worth of scrap lightening conductor?

Yes they did as well as power lines aerial cables, cables off railways
pity they don't do old cars!...

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...0/31/5c16bb1b-
0ae1-4052-b07e-8fd258492eac.lpf

Nice (not).

But isn't this the sort of thing we should expect. Like when CPU's and
RAM were 'expensive' there was untold damage being done to PC cases
and office buildings. Or the damage done to cars for their radios etc.
I'm surprised there isn't more theft of fuel considering how expensive
it is to fill up these days (not that I often 'fill up' as it's not
efficient and 20 quid's worth of diesel gets me over 150 miles). ;-)

I'm aware there has always been the background 'theft' of say copper
core cables (contractors over supplying on a job etc) as it's
relatively easy to 'fence' such through the scrap yards (and it's no
issue to them that 200 quid's worth of new cable only yields 25 quid
as 'scrap' ..) ;-(

There is some genuine ry-cycling though, those of us who collect up
all the old taps and stopcocks that individually aren't worth much but
a bucket load of brass these days .. (re recent thread on scrap
prices).

We stopped crushing / scrapping ally cans as a couple of bin bags full
wouldn't have covered the fuel cost taking them there (I only go when
passing though) but now it might be worth doing so again and not
putting them out for the fortnightly recycle collection (after all, we
don't seem to get a rebate on our Council tax for it do we)?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

David

My first car was a 1959 Mini, purchased for £100 in 1977 (no seat belts, of
course). Being skint, my primary source of spares was scavenging in
breakers yards. You know all those safety critical bits like suspension and
brake parts...plus of course the MANDATORY rubber switch extensions and
small steering wheel.

I sniff a conspiracy. If the manufacturers are taking responsibility for
disposal of their products they will be able to cripple the 2nd hand parts
business. On reflection though that's probably a good thing.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

Can you imagine the forecourts of various dealers being besieged by old
bangers for them to get rid of?
"Sorry Sir, we just don't do *that* model this week, perhaps you should buy
one of our new £200000 supercars instead and then we can dispose of yours,
gratis naturally"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:

I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

David

Will the manufacturers collect said scrap-able vehicle? At present
I've been happy to pay my local authority (Sevenoaks) to collect each of
the vehicles I have scrapped while living were we are now. The problem
of transporting an uninsured and untaxed vehicle dissapeared in return
for £15.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
Will the manufacturers collect said scrap-able vehicle? At present I've
been happy to pay my local authority (Sevenoaks) to collect each of the
vehicles I have scrapped while living were we are now. The problem of
transporting an uninsured and untaxed vehicle dissapeared in return for
£15.

My industrial estate *receives* £30 for every abandoned vehicle the local
breaker is permitted to remove. I presume their real value to him is
considerably higher.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

I recently scrapped my old car (J-reg Ford Sierra). I rang someone in
the local buy n sell magazine,
they came and picked it up AND gave me £30

joecool
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:04:29 +0000, joecool2000
wrote:

Vortex wrote:
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

I recently scrapped my old car (J-reg Ford Sierra). I rang someone in
the local buy n sell magazine,
they came and picked it up AND gave me £30

Sounds like the not so old 'old days' ;-)

I was lucky (then) as my (had from new) A plate Sierra estate was
taken away at no cost either way a couple of years ago.

Mind you, with the engine / transmission removed[1] it would have been
a bit light on the weighbridge but the 'estate' was filled with all
the scrap metal from my mates garage so that should have made it worth
their while.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] To transplant into the kitcar .. someday .. ;-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Vortex wrote:
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

I recently scrapped my old car (J-reg Ford Sierra). I rang someone in
the local buy n sell magazine,
they came and picked it up AND gave me £30

Sounds like the not so old 'old days' ;-)

I was lucky (then) as my (had from new) A plate Sierra estate was
taken away at no cost either way a couple of years ago.

Mind you, with the engine / transmission removed[1] it would have been
a bit light on the weighbridge but the 'estate' was filled with all
the scrap metal from my mates garage so that should have made it worth
their while.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] To transplant into the kitcar .. someday .. ;-(

Should have kept the rear axle as well maybe, they are quite sort after I
believe for Lotus7 type kit cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:53:21 -0000, "HLAH"
wrote:

Mind you, with the engine / transmission removed[1] it would have been
a bit light on the weighbridge but the 'estate' was filled with all
the scrap metal from my mates garage so that should have made it worth
their while.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] To transplant into the kitcar .. someday .. ;-(

Should have kept the rear axle as well maybe, they are quite sort after I
believe for Lotus7 type kit cars.

Damn ;-(

Isn't that always the way though, but when you actually have these
things you can't seem to give them away. Like the small Victorian cast
iron fire surrounds I took out of this place (I think there is still
one in the front bedroom) couldn't give em away, even to a fire
surround re-cycler / shop place?

I did retain as much of it as might be of use to anyone .. even had
the wheels on two nuts finger tight and had them off as soon as the
Hiab got it airborne sob .. so if you know anyone is in need of
4x(5?) reasonable (Goodyear?) 175/70-13's (from memory) tyres on Ford
4 stud rwd rims .... (if they are the same pcd as a MKII Escort I
could use them while I get the kitcar rims tidied up)?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free srapping of cars

Vortex wrote:

I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

David

no such thing as free. If it costs mfrs to dispose of them that cost
will just be added to new car prices. Ie we will pay. As ever.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
no such thing as free. If it costs mfrs to dispose of them that cost
will just be added to new car prices. Ie we will pay. As ever.

You're out of date. Old cars do have a scrap value. I believe you can
thank the Chinese for this.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

no such thing as free. If it costs mfrs to dispose of them that cost
will just be added to new car prices. Ie we will pay. As ever.

You're out of date. Old cars do have a scrap value. I believe you can
thank the Chinese for this.

I see you're an optimist. The number of health and hazard issues in
scrap cars are numerous, this sort of things is being tightened up
fairly rapidly, and this will continue. It is reasonable for a mfr to
ask what scrapping a car will cost by the time its a deadun, and the
price might be high, and will more likely cost than pay. And since its
a bit of a hard to predict one, they'll add on the high side to cover
it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

no such thing as free. If it costs mfrs to dispose of them that cost
will just be added to new car prices. Ie we will pay. As ever.

You're out of date. Old cars do have a scrap value. I believe you can
thank the Chinese for this.

I see you're an optimist. The number of health and hazard issues in
scrap cars are numerous, this sort of things is being tightened up
fairly rapidly, and this will continue. It is reasonable for a mfr to
ask what scrapping a car will cost by the time its a deadun, and the
price might be high, and will more likely cost than pay. And since its
a bit of a hard to predict one, they'll add on the high side to cover
it.

OTOH if they have to pick up the cost (or add it to the purchase
price), they are motivated to make that cost as small as possible
by avoiding (where possible) using materials which have to be
handled carefully and by designing cars so that they can be
'taken apart'. The latter, of course, has the beneficial effect
(to the purchasor) of making repairs easier and cheaper.

Franckly, this change to the system should have come 20
years ago

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
You're out of date. Old cars do have a scrap value. I believe you can
thank the Chinese for this.

I see you're an optimist.

No - it's a fact. An old car is worth approx 30 quid if you can get it to
a yard. Less probably if it has to be uplifted.

The number of health and hazard issues in scrap cars are numerous, this
sort of things is being tightened up fairly rapidly, and this will
continue.

They (scrapyards) are already required to remove all fluids - even from
things like shock absorbers.

It is reasonable for a mfr to ask what scrapping a car will
cost by the time its a deadun, and the price might be high, and will
more likely cost than pay. And since its a bit of a hard to predict one,
they'll add on the high side to cover it.

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
I just saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Seems like a good idea to me. But what about all the Rovers out there?

Scrap's worth money these days because the price of steel's risen. You can
get about £30 collected round my way.