Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Successful DIY project

Problem: 8 people yesterday for Xmas dinner, table only 2' 6" by 4' 6",
seats 6 at a push, but fine for the other 364 days in the year.

Solution: 2 sheets of 2' by 6' MDF held together by wooden battens, giving a
4' by 6' table top, will seat 10 to 12 with plenty of room. Even my wife had
to admit it was a blinder. Total cost about £15, had enough clear varnish
left over from another job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buggerlugs wrote:
Problem: 8 people yesterday for Xmas dinner, table only 2' 6" by 4' 6",
seats 6 at a push, but fine for the other 364 days in the year.

Solution: 2 sheets of 2' by 6' MDF held together by wooden battens, giving a
4' by 6' table top, will seat 10 to 12 with plenty of room. Even my wife had
to admit it was a blinder. Total cost about £15, had enough clear varnish
left over from another job.

I've made tables from 7mm 3ply, with 50x20mm timber around the edge.
They are very light and can be put on trestles or a smaller table.
Cost: about £3 excluding varnish or paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
Buggerlugs wrote:
Problem: 8 people yesterday for Xmas dinner, table only 2' 6" by 4' 6",
seats 6 at a push, but fine for the other 364 days in the year.

Solution: 2 sheets of 2' by 6' MDF held together by wooden battens, giving a
4' by 6' table top, will seat 10 to 12 with plenty of room. Even my wife had
to admit it was a blinder. Total cost about £15, had enough clear varnish
left over from another job.

I've made tables from 7mm 3ply, with 50x20mm timber around the edge.
They are very light and can be put on trestles or a smaller table.
Cost: about £3 excluding varnish or paint.

So you see that DIY is not just for people who know what they are
talking about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Matty F wrote:
Buggerlugs wrote:
Problem: 8 people yesterday for Xmas dinner, table only 2' 6" by 4' 6",
seats 6 at a push, but fine for the other 364 days in the year.

Solution: 2 sheets of 2' by 6' MDF held together by wooden battens, giving a
4' by 6' table top, will seat 10 to 12 with plenty of room. Even my wife had
to admit it was a blinder. Total cost about £15, had enough clear varnish
left over from another job.

I've made tables from 7mm 3ply, with 50x20mm timber around the edge.
They are very light and can be put on trestles or a smaller table.
Cost: about £3 excluding varnish or paint.

So you see that DIY is not just for people who know what they are
talking about.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. The MDF looks nicer and
won't splinter on the edges like ply. The ply is lighter and cheaper.
When I have to put 10 tables on a truck, the weight makes a difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I've made tables from 7mm 3ply, with 50x20mm timber around the edge.
They are very light and can be put on trestles or a smaller table.
Cost: about £3 excluding varnish or paint.

So you see that DIY is not just for people who know what they are
talking about.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. The MDF looks nicer and
won't splinter on the edges like ply. The ply is lighter and cheaper.
When I have to put 10 tables on a truck, the weight makes a difference.

where do you find 7mm 3ply? And at what cost, £3 all in is remarkably
cheap, unless youre talking about little table-lets.

NT