Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Draining Pressurised Central Heating

I've recently had my gas central heating system switched over to a
sealed/pressurised with an expansion vessel taking a feed from the
main. But when I'm draining the system (attaching hose to drainage
valve and opening fully), it doesn't drain properly - the water
continuusly flows out of it. It's as if there's another, secondary
water supply going into my heating system. Yesterday I even knocked
off the water at the main stopcock so the vessel and the sealed system
didn't get a feed, but the water was continuously draining out of the
hose (I mean for over 12 hours). In the end I had to just close the
drainage valve.
Any advice gratefully received.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sherbo wrote:
I've recently had my gas central heating system switched over to a
sealed/pressurised with an expansion vessel taking a feed from the
main. But when I'm draining the system (attaching hose to drainage
valve and opening fully), it doesn't drain properly - the water
continuusly flows out of it. It's as if there's another, secondary
water supply going into my heating system. Yesterday I even knocked
off the water at the main stopcock so the vessel and the sealed system
didn't get a feed, but the water was continuously draining out of the
hose (I mean for over 12 hours). In the end I had to just close the
drainage valve.
Any advice gratefully received.

Is this for real? if so , what does the pressure gauge reach if you
fill it from the mains, does it go up and up and up or reach a (low)
level then stop?

12 hours of draining even if there was still a feed from a large header
tank, with the mains switched off, seems like something very odd is
going on!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep - I'm afraid it is for real. When the system's filled and working
the pressure continually drops to 0. I fill the expansion vessel up to
1bar then it drops steadily to 0 again (over about 3 minutes - quicker
if I have hot water AND heating on). I'm 99% certain there are no
leaks - the house has a basement on the ground floor so I can see all
the pipework - if there is a leak it would have to be under the
kitchen's concrete floor, but there are no visible signs on the
concrete or outside. The pressurising has been done by a good,
qualified plumber, but he's running out of ideas and I'm thinking I'll
have to get a second opinion during Christmas week :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep - I'm afraid it is for real. When the system's filled and working
the pressure continually drops to 0. I fill the expansion vessel up to
1bar then it drops steadily to 0 again (over about 3 minutes - quicker
if I have hot water AND heating on). I'm 99% certain there are no
leaks - the house has a basement on the ground floor so I can see all
the pipework - if there is a leak it would have to be under the
kitchen's concrete floor, but there are no visible signs on the
concrete or outside. The pressurising has been done by a good,
qualified plumber, but he's running out of ideas and I'm thinking I'll
have to get a second opinion during Christmas week :-(

If you turn the stopcock off, can you still run water from the cold taps ?
faulty stopcock ? or..... in our house the old cast iron water main ran
along the back of the house and entered in the kitchen with a stop tap.
Later a new plastic main was routed past the front and now enters under the
drive and into the front, they simply turned off the rear stop tap and put a
warning label over it. If that old feed is still 'live' and we turn off the
front stop tap, there could be some water entering by the old route ?

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sherbo wrote:
Yep - I'm afraid it is for real. When the system's filled and working
the pressure continually drops to 0. I fill the expansion vessel up to
1bar then it drops steadily to 0 again (over about 3 minutes - quicker
if I have hot water AND heating on). I'm 99% certain there are no
leaks - the house has a basement on the ground floor so I can see all
the pipework - if there is a leak it would have to be under the
kitchen's concrete floor, but there are no visible signs on the
concrete or outside. The pressurising has been done by a good,
qualified plumber, but he's running out of ideas and I'm thinking I'll
have to get a second opinion during Christmas week :-(

Sounds like the header tank is still connected!?
....or, there's a leak in your HWC which means the tap water and heating
are mixing. but that wouldn't lead to constant 12 hour running water
with the stopcoc off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sherbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've recently had my gas central heating system switched over to a
sealed/pressurised with an expansion vessel taking a feed from the
main. But when I'm draining the system (attaching hose to drainage
valve and opening fully), it doesn't drain properly - the water
continuusly flows out of it. It's as if there's another, secondary
water supply going into my heating system. Yesterday I even knocked
off the water at the main stopcock so the vessel and the sealed system
didn't get a feed, but the water was continuously draining out of the
hose (I mean for over 12 hours). In the end I had to just close the
drainage valve.
Any advice gratefully received.

Do you have indirect hot water?

If yes it could be a leak in the heat exchanger.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete,

Thanks for the response. With the stopcock off the cold taps run dry
(once the tank in the attic drains) - not even a drop comes out. What
you have said is entirely plausible - a secondary supply would account
for the pressure dropping as well as the never-ending draining. The
supply with the stopcock appears to be the original (house is 100 years
old and the main is a lead pipe)...

If you turn the stopcock off, can you still run water from the cold taps ?
faulty stopcock ? or..... in our house the old cast iron water main ran
along the back of the house and entered in the kitchen with a stop tap.
Later a new plastic main was routed past the front and now enters under the
drive and into the front, they simply turned off the rear stop tap and put a
warning label over it. If that old feed is still 'live' and we turn off the
front stop tap, there could be some water entering by the old route ?

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 03:09:08 -0800, sherbo wrote:

I've recently had my gas central heating system switched over to a
sealed/pressurised with an expansion vessel taking a feed from the
main. But when I'm draining the system (attaching hose to drainage
valve and opening fully), it doesn't drain properly - the water
continuusly flows out of it. It's as if there's another, secondary
water supply going into my heating system. Yesterday I even knocked
off the water at the main stopcock so the vessel and the sealed system
didn't get a feed, but the water was continuously draining out of the
hose (I mean for over 12 hours). In the end I had to just close the
drainage valve.
Any advice gratefully received.

We have a FAQ for this.
Then see what else you needs to know.